View topic - Glow plug dash light issues- 100 series turbo cruiser

Glow plug dash light issues- 100 series turbo cruiser

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
I'm new, be nice!

Glow plug dash light issues- 100 series turbo cruiser

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with an issue I have with the Glow plug dash light on my 100 series turbo diesel landcruiser. I apologise if this has been answered before but I am new to this site and I have searched the other threads with no success. The glow light on the dash panel only comes on for a second and then goes off, It doesn't matter if the motor is hot or cold. When u start up it basically lights up and turns off straight away.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Unread postby lappo » June 15th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Been here a while

how well does your motor start?

Unread postby rooshoot » June 16th, 2010, 12:10 am

I'm new, be nice!

Motor starts no problems , first time , every time.

John

Unread postby lappo » June 16th, 2010, 10:31 am

Avid Poster

I'm going to have to have another look at my dash. In eight years of owning a TD 100 series I cannot recall seeing a glow plug light.
"If you can read you can learn anything for there are those who are smarter than you who can write."

Unread postby DoctorI » June 16th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I'm new, be nice!

You may have the same problem as mine. If you blink you will miss it. It is located just to the right of the steering wheel just above the temperature symbol. To tell you the truth I have had this vehicle for 18 months and did not know about the glow plug light ( first diesel vehicle) until it was pointed out to me by a friend that the light didn't seem to be working. Maybe I am on the wrong track.. no pun intended. I checked the book and it states Glow plug indicator light.!!!!

John

Unread postby lappo » June 16th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Here and there

Its not an issue. My dad has the same car, does the same thing since new. Never missed a start and it has 145k on the clock. Teh 1hz, whihc is what i drive, takes a little longer to warm up though

Unread postby BigO » June 16th, 2010, 5:38 pm

I'm new, be nice!

BigO, thanks for the feed back . It seems that I shouldn't worry about the Dash light issue. As long as it continues to start I wont panic.
Thanks again.
John

Unread postby lappo » June 17th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Been here a while

The idea of it is to just wait until that light turns off before cranking the engine.

You should start worrying when it DOESN'T turn on.

Unread postby 80sLandcruiser » June 17th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Been here a while

take it in to a diesel mechanic and double check.

Mine used to come on then off after normal time then after driving it would come back on and stay on. this was after i had the injectors done (diesel care, tamworth top blokes). mine was a simple adjustment i think from memory, fuel pump or something with startup?? nothing serious though. but they do draw some power and could do damage if they are not working correctly and staying on. unless your an eskimo it wouldnt be to much of a problem if they dont work
Toyota Landcruiser, 105 Series, 2005
GME TX4400, winch, Lightforce 240's, Rhino roof racks, DIY awning, 33 mudstar and sunnys

Unread postby bob shovel » June 17th, 2010, 4:35 pm

I'm new, be nice!

Hi, The light goes on and off straight away. I usually wait 20 or so seconds after the ignition is turned on before I start the vehicle even thought the light is not on. I will take it and get it looked at next service which is due shortly.
John.

Unread postby lappo » June 18th, 2010, 5:45 pm

Been here a while

the turbo diesel use a heated intake to cold start so theres only a second or so of the preheat light

you'll notice in colder temps it will stay on slightly longer.

your best to start the motor when the light go outs not wait half a minute.

also on some of the 100 series the glowplug\preheat light is also the DTC light.

Unread postby popeye » June 18th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Return to Diesel Tech