View topic - The Best Driving Lights????

The Best Driving Lights????

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Part of the furniture

The Best Driving Lights????

Howdy folks, please before you tell me to search the forum i have, but i couldnt find any real evidence to suggest which driving lights are best. Im talking about the full sized light like Hella 4000, Lightforce 240 & XGT, Cinie Oscar, IPF900XS, Narva 225 etc.

I have read heaps in magazines, but we all know we cant believe it all, because money talks, and its never the full truth. I have searched many forums and read dozens of threads, and have also tried nearly all of the lights available.

I have seen many converted to HID also, and wasnt that impressed with a few. I am yet to see a factory HID light though. Is there any difference?

I myself am a Lightforce man, and loved my 240 Blitz, they did the job for me, but they lacked the spread of others. I tried every possible thing but it doesnt make up for that pure spread you get from a proper spread beam lens/reflector. Dont get me wrong but, they are a great light. The benefits easily outshine the competition, waterproof, dustproof, etc, etc.

But this isnt about that, what im after is the light output only in terms of spread and spot. What do you honestly believe has the best spread beam, and what has the best spot beam, and why? Do you have any valid reasons for your opnion other then you reckon, or because they are?

I have never had two different lights side by side, apart from my 240s and some IPF900XS, and mine were brighter then his but his had more spread. Since im after new lights, i wanna know what you guys believe. My mates are split 50/50 , Lighforce and Hella 4000.

Unread postby bozo21 » May 3rd, 2010, 12:38 am

Here and there

4WD Action had an extensive comparo back in issue 139
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/current_issue/139/

Unread postby RussKie » May 3rd, 2010, 2:46 pm

Part of the furniture

ipf 900 mate or go look at the pirahnas hid wicked i only got 240 blitz just going 4 narva 225 combos on the rear bar to help with the spread i dont feel like spending 1500 on lights and someone steeling them

Unread postby pupsky » May 3rd, 2010, 3:44 pm

Part of the furniture

or look at the 240 hid 35 watt one of the cheapest hid on the market dont go 50 watt though to much power for human eye

Unread postby pupsky » May 3rd, 2010, 3:47 pm

Need to get out more

Kc hids. Was voted the best light there mate.

Unread postby Finchy260 » May 3rd, 2010, 4:07 pm

Need to get out more

bozo21 wrote:Howdy folks, please before you tell me to search the forum i have, but i couldnt find any real evidence to suggest which driving lights are best.

That's because everyone has a different opinion of what is best for their needs :thumb:
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

Unread postby Pog » May 3rd, 2010, 5:07 pm

Need to get out more

pupsky wrote:ipf 900 mate or go look at the pirahnas hid wicked i only got 240 blitz just going 4 narva 225 combos on the rear bar to help with the spread i dont feel like spending 1500 on lights and someone steeling them

Stupidest idea I've heard in a while.

What good is light pointing backwards/sideways? Not to mention illegal.
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

Unread postby Pog » May 3rd, 2010, 5:09 pm

Avid Poster

i think he means on the roofbar not the rear of the car.
75 Ute, 1998, 1HZ non turbo.

Unread postby Nicko 75 » May 3rd, 2010, 5:10 pm

Need to get out more

Nicko 75 wrote:i think he means on the roofbar not the rear of the car.

I hope so :crazy:

Unread postby Pog » May 3rd, 2010, 5:35 pm

I'm new, be nice!

The lightforce 240s r the way to go....cant beat them

Unread postby barnza » May 3rd, 2010, 5:37 pm

Avid Poster

mate ive got ipf 900s, the big square ones, think theyre 900s anyway lol, someone correct me if im wrong!
ive had cibie super oscars, various hellas, the smaller cibies, bull lights and assorted cheapies.
and my ipfs are the best by a long shot, they are brilliant! friends of mine have various models of lightforces, ive driven trucks with xgts and other flashy lights aswell,and honestly mine are better than them, i think light forces are way over rated.
my friends with lightforces, some of whom are roo shooters and interstate truckies have all said my lights are awesome, and will/have chaged to them when they need new lights.
saying that they are both spot beam, and i run 130watt globes, ive heard alot of people sook about 130watt globes not lasting long, hell even the auto elec joint i used to work for wouldnt even stock them coz they believed they are a waste of time.
but ive never had dramas with them, i get at LEAST 18months out of them, have had the odd one go but they were caused by getting wet, dodgy relays etc, no fault of the globe themselves.
as far as i can work out is that the people who complain about them are farmers etc, who have them running for long periods of time while the car is idle or just putt-ing around which therefore they get very hot without a decent breeze to cool them, thats just what i reckon the problems are anyway.

as far as hid's are concerned, yes they seem to be very good, but the price?! :eek: not for this lil black duck... and honestly, do you really need to see 2kays up the road?! i know i dont! i dont even think i could make out what was that far ahead! and i live in an area with sh!tloads of roos.
they might be handy if you sat on 200+kph everywhere you went lol

oh an for the record... my ipfs are about 15yrs old and been on about 7 cars, from wb utes and 45, 60, 75 and 80 series cruisers. they were originally my parents lights untill i claimed them about 6yrs ago, they are still going strong and have never had any lenses or reflectors etc replaced.

just my 2bobs worth :D hope this helps...

Unread postby khany454 » May 3rd, 2010, 5:38 pm

Need to get out more

khany454 wrote:mate ive got ipf 900s, the big square ones, think theyre 900s anyway lol, someone correct me if im wrong!

Square = 800
Round = 900

khany454 wrote:as far as hid's are concerned, yes they seem to be very good, but the price?! :eek: not for this lil black duck... and honestly, do you really need to see 2kays up the road?! i know i dont! i dont even think i could make out what was that far ahead! and i live in an area with sh!tloads of roos.
they might be handy if you sat on 200+kph everywhere you went lol

The real benefit is the quality of the output, not the distance.

I paid $160 delivered for my kit.

Unread postby Pog » May 3rd, 2010, 6:13 pm

Part of the furniture

Righto, a mate has the Lightforce 240 Blitz 35w HID and the ballasts just pooped themself yesterday he says, just before he was due to leave least night on a 1000km trip. So he went and purchased some Hella 4000s and a 50w Phillips HID kit. He just rang me and told me about it all, and he says the Hellas are unreal and crapped all over the Lightforce. Now he is a real Lightforce fan, and was saving for the 50w HID, but he insists to me that the Hellas are a heaps better light then his 240 Blitz converted HIDs, with heaps of spread and unreal distance with the HIDs. Seeing as he paid big dollars for his Lightforce gear and said i can have it all, as its still under warranty but he doesnt wanna know about them, as he had already had the lens replaced cause he let water in and it went black, then his lights nearly got pinched. He says he is over the 240 Blitz now, because of them problems. So im leaning a little closer to the Hellas now for a more even spread of light, but i just dont like that there not waterproof, and that some mates have lost there lenses on rough roads. Meaning they had to pay $200 odd bucks for new ones, nearly cheaper for a full light. I dont want water in my lights, and i dont want to be replacing the lenses either.

The cheapest i have seen Hellas for are $270 each, anyone heard of cheaper? By the way my mate also has the IPF900XS on a work car and he says there not as good as the Hellas for light output, but are waterproof. The XGT Lightforce have the same light output as the Blitz but cant be stolen as easy and water shouldnt get in lens either. So thats them problems addressed, and those and the Hellas seem to be around the same price, so i guess to me its out of them. But im interested in hearing everyone elses verdict too, cause we all see things differently and have stories to tell.

I would love the KC HIDs geez they are good. Wouldnt like to see the price though. anyone seen them in Oz yet?
Mazda BT50

No Limits Chip, Ironman Shocks, Dual Batteries, Kenwood KDC-X994, Hertz Splits, Cadence 4", 8" Sub, JVC Amp, GME 3220 and AE4018K1, Scangauge II, Sandgrabba Floor Matts, Rear 12v Outlets, 10w LED Lightbar, 70w Hella 4000 HID, 16x8 King Black

Unread postby bozo21 » May 3rd, 2010, 6:54 pm

Been here a while

Rally 4000

My vote is Rally 4000. Tough light that go well with HID upgrade. I have them in spot beam and they have not moved a wisker in 18months. I hate dipping to low beam coz its like driving by candle light without them. Metal construction i know they will last.

FYI i have 240 and 170 Lightforce lenses on my spot light for shooting. I added a HID upgrade and it performed poorly. IMO they work better with standard halogen globes. I swapped the 2 lens with the two different globes and halogen was by far the better choose and is what i still use. I think the HID globe was longer than the standard which affected the angle the light was hitting the reflector and the beam comes out all over the place. I think?

Go hella.
:thumb:

Unread postby mad_mat222 » May 3rd, 2010, 9:15 pm

Avid Poster

4wd action mag No. 148 page 84. jeep with light force spotties with about a coke can of water in them not good advertising .
08 RC Colorado 4x4, free wheeling hubs, Ironman Shocks and 2'' Leafs, GME TX 3100, Arb Deluxe winch Bar, Scan Gauge II, 2.3/4 Beaudesert Exhaust, Avenger sports bar, Long Ranger Tank, Safari snorkel . my shed Holden colorado

Unread postby lornety » May 3rd, 2010, 9:27 pm

Next

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's