View topic - Hilux driveshaft centre bearing

Hilux driveshaft centre bearing

Getting to know the place

Hilux driveshaft centre bearing

How much play if any should there be (if any) in the centre bearing of my Hilux single cab? Its got the two piece rear drive shaft. It has about 20mm movement in it if I move it with my hand. I think its the source of a shudder I have in the driveline when taking off.
Cheers
Nick

Unread postby 02GVNZ » December 31st, 2009, 4:54 pm

Here and there

there should only be very little movement in the centre bearing, sometimes u can see the bush buldging at rest. shudder under take off is normally clutch related, centre bearing gives u vibrations at speed

Unread postby EvilChief » January 2nd, 2010, 1:35 pm

Need to get out more

if the centre bearing is sufficiently shagged, then it will give you a decent shudder and vibration on take off....as this was the issue i had with my lux when i first bought it....

i do recall though there was pretty much nothing left of the centre bearing on mine, so the tailshaft was pretty much just loose in the bearing carrier....

even with the new centre bearing in, i still have some free play, probably close to 20mm in the shaft, so i don't think in this case its the cause of your problem.....

Unread postby cac » January 2nd, 2010, 2:39 pm

Got a new one and the old one was absoultely stuffed when removed, seems to have fixed that issue

Unread postby 02GVNZ » January 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm

Been here a while

02GVNZ wrote:Got a new one and the old one was absoultely stuffed when removed, seems to have fixed that issue

Yeah it feels a lot better when you change it. I was surprised how easy it was to change mine. Most bolts on my beast have seized tight.

What brand replacement did you get?

Ben

Unread postby Capella_Ben » January 3rd, 2010, 6:36 pm

Capella_Ben wrote:Yeah it feels a lot better when you change it. I was surprised how easy it was to change mine. Most bolts on my beast have seized tight.

What brand replacement did you get?

Ben

Generic Taiwanese one from Repco, its a copy of what I took off. $190NZD which was steep but needed it in a hurry for a trip.

Unread postby 02GVNZ » January 3rd, 2010, 6:49 pm

Avid Poster

Quick tip for the center bearing.
Get some sikaflex, and fill the void in the rubber carrier with it, let it cure for a day or 2, and then fit.
No more flogged out rubber, which is what fails.

Trains
My Wife cant shear But you should see her crutch!

Save the Whales......Collect the whole set!

Fight Crime.......Shoot Back !

Unread postby trains » January 4th, 2010, 9:18 am

Need to get out more

trains wrote:Quick tip for the center bearing.
Get some sikaflex, and fill the void in the rubber carrier with it, let it cure for a day or 2, and then fit.
No more flogged out rubber, which is what fails.

Trains

Sorry to revive an old thread guys.

How are you filling up with Sikaflex trains? Just through the drain hole in the bottom? If so, would it be sufficient to simply jack up the shaft, creating a space between rubber and bearing and simply pump it in?
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

Unread postby Pog » June 13th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Return to HiLux