View topic - 40 series roll bars, What should i do

40 series roll bars, What should i do

Here and there

40 series roll bars, What should i do

Hows it it goin everyone.

I just got a roll bar for my fj40 its one that goes on the new hiluxes, fits fine just gotta extend it a bit higher.

Ive also got a couple spare roll bars ones for like an ss ute?, n the other im not sure.

Could ya submic pics of your roll bars so i can get some ideas of what i should use, n also make any suggestions

Thanks
:D[font=Lucida Console]DK:D [/font]

1975 FJ40

Unread postby djk123 » November 13th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Here and there

Heres the hilux one thats going on there
This is the ss ute one
this is the third it joins together to form one, i think one part is gonna be cut up to form the extensions for the hilux one

1975 FJ40

Unread postby djk123 » November 13th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Here and there

Basically is there any point mounting the one of the others in some sorta way additionally or cutting it up then adding it as an extention to the hilux one

1975 FJ40

Unread postby djk123 » November 13th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Need to get out more

i don't want to be rude, but i doubt it'll serve any rollover protection.
the truth is in the rocks

Unread postby bad_religion_au » November 14th, 2009, 12:51 am

Avid Poster

bad_religion_au wrote:i don't want to be rude, but i doubt it'll serve any rollover protection.

My first thoughts exactly! ;)

Seriously keep an eye out on Ebay, ive seen quite a few 'proper' 40 series roll bars go lately. Sadly im yet to find anything for the 45.

Speaking of roll bars, anyone else here of a FJ40 roll over a week or two back on private property out Gippsland way? The driver was killed.

Travis.

Unread postby Travis22 » November 14th, 2009, 12:58 am

The Hilux one will look good once extended but I would definately not use it for the safety aspect (has none !!) plus I doubt any legit roady would pass it.
I have a legit rollbar & matching soft top that fits a 40, it is off mine. I no longer have an use for it as I am extending my tub.

I haven't got any pics of it with the side windows in but it also fits inside a hardtop.

brooksy
C44F - Custom 4x4 Fabrications
0400 443 802
custom4x4fab@bigpond.com

Unread postby brooksy » November 14th, 2009, 8:19 am

Need to get out more

That shiny one isn't a roll bar, it's a sports bar. It would offer no protection in a rollover, especially with cut and extension. If you want protection then you need a roll cage that securely mounts to the chassis in some manner. Personally I, d be taking upbrooksy offer
[color="Orange"]smart has the plans

stupid has the stories[/color]

Unread postby grimbo » November 14th, 2009, 8:34 am

Here and there

brooksy wrote:The Hilux one will look good once extended but I would definately not use it for the safety aspect (has none !!) plus I doubt any legit roady would pass it.
I have a legit rollbar & matching soft top that fits a 40, it is off mine. I no longer have an use for it as I am extending my tub.

I haven't got any pics of it with the side windows in but it also fits inside a hardtop.

brooksy

hey mate do you think that rollbar could be made to fit into an fj45 ute?

Unread postby Simpson » November 14th, 2009, 10:35 am

Need to get out more

brooksy wrote:The Hilux one will look good once extended but I would definately not use it for the safety aspect (has none !!) plus I doubt any legit roady would pass it.

brooksy

if yours was a pre 1979 i'd have bought it in a heartbeat, shipping costs and all. that's pretty much exactly the cage i want.
the truth is in the rocks

Unread postby bad_religion_au » November 14th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Here and there

grimbo wrote:That shiny one isn't a roll bar, it's a sports bar. It would offer no protection in a rollover, especially with cut and extension. If you want protection then you need a roll cage that securely mounts to the chassis in some manner. Personally I, d be taking upbrooksy offer

just my thoughts arnt they just an alloy sports bar not intended for safty?

Unread postby Woodzy » November 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Here and there

yer they r sports bars, i got them for free, but im gonna whack one one coz itll match the chrome side steps n nudge bar, mainly for show. Again because they were free

1975 FJ40

Unread postby djk123 » November 14th, 2009, 11:16 pm

Here and there

Thanks for all the replies, i do understand where yous r coming from.

But im only 16 n this is my first car so if down the line i need it for the safety i will get a new one but for now its just to mach in with the rest of the chrome

1975 FJ40

Unread postby djk123 » November 14th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Avid Poster

You might find that you will not be able to get it rego'd with just the show sports bar.... I'm not sure how strict WA rego is. I would talk to the rego office before you go ahead with all the work on fitting it up.

But saying that, what is stopping someone from having a registered hard top 40 and removing the top for a weekend of fun, no roll bar??

Just a thought, trucks looking good.

Unread postby KUSTOM V840 » November 15th, 2009, 6:16 am

Anybody can have a hardtop & remove it & drive around but you are a WANKER if you do simply because it is just not safe let alone illegal. The rego would be based on a hartop & would state it.
I'm sorry djk123 but you are a fool if you think it is OK & if the people around you haven't told you the correct thing to do well they have a lack of intelligence also & should not be in the automotive industry if they already are.
This attitude that new people on the road have is rediculous & have no regard for others let alone for themselves.
DO THE RIGHT THING & forget this stupid BLING crap & think of the people who will be travelling in your vehicle even if you have a lack of self preservation.
When building a vehicle wether it is for recreation or road, SAFETY is priority 1, everything else is secondary like Bling & even reliability. If you can't get your head around this fact well don't bother.
I personally have told or recommended customers not to do certain things when they come to me with ideas in the past as I see it as part of my "Duty of Care" responsibility to explain the safety aspects & I recommend a better solution or change that will achieve what they are after as close as possible.
Once again I am sorry if I sound a bit harsh & I know you are a young bloke but please just stand back for a minute & think of the possibilities that could happen, it doesn't always "happen to someone else". If money is the issue (as you stated the reason you will use them is because they are free) well that is not an excuse. Cutting corners because of money or time just doesn't cut it in my eyes.
Guess what the judge would say when you are in front of him after having an accident (whether it is your fault or not) & someone gets seriously injured or worse & your excuse for cutting corners on safety is - " I got the sports bars for free & I wanted to match the rest of the chrome on my 4wd your honor".

brooksy
C44F - Custom 4x4 Fabrications
0400 443 802
custom4x4fab@bigpond.com

Unread postby brooksy » November 15th, 2009, 8:24 am

Avid Poster

brooksy wrote:Anybody can have a hardtop & remove it & drive around but you are a WANKER if you do simply because it is just not safe let alone illegal. The rego would be based on a hartop & would state it.
I'm sorry djk123 but you are a fool if you think it is OK & if the people around you haven't told you the correct thing to do well they have a lack of intelligence also & should not be in the automotive industry if they already are.
This attitude that new people on the road have is rediculous & have no regard for others let alone for themselves.
DO THE RIGHT THING & forget this stupid BLING crap & think of the people who will be travelling in your vehicle even if you have a lack of self preservation.
When building a vehicle wether it is for recreation or road, SAFETY is priority 1, everything else is secondary like Bling & even reliability. If you can't get your head around this fact well don't bother.
I personally have told or recommended customers not to do certain things when they come to me with ideas in the past as I see it as part of my "Duty of Care" responsibility to explain the safety aspects & I recommend a better solution or change that will achieve what they are after as close as possible.
Once again I am sorry if I sound a bit harsh & I know you are a young bloke but please just stand back for a minute & think of the possibilities that could happen, it doesn't always "happen to someone else". If money is the issue (as you stated the reason you will use them is because they are free) well that is not an excuse. Cutting corners because of money or time just doesn't cut it in my eyes.
Guess what the judge would say when you are in front of him after having an accident (whether it is your fault or not) & someone gets seriously injured or worse & your excuse for cutting corners on safety is - " I got the sports bars for free & I wanted to match the rest of the chrome on my 4wd your honor".

brooksy

Oooooooooooooohhhh :D:D

Does sound a bit harsh but the truth hurts sometimes. ;);)

Unread postby KUSTOM V840 » November 15th, 2009, 9:22 am

Next

Return to 40/55 Series