100 and 105 series differences

4sh
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 4sh » August 29th, 2009, 12:37 pm

This is all great info for me as I have just bought an HDJ100R (turbo diesel)

I did learn while looking that the difference,, drive line wise, between the 100 and 105 is the HDJ100R is the factory turbo diesel and the HZJ105R is the NON turbo diesel and the FZJ105R was the petrol
When out partying, remember, "DON'T DRINK DRIVE", it's a washing powder.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » August 29th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Come to think of it. I reckon 80% of buyers would not have cared less which suspension the Landcruisers had when buying new. Most buyers would get one regardless.
If told it has IFS, the typical response would probably be "ooh that'll be nice on the road" and not given it another thought.:crazy:
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

BEU77Y
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BEU77Y » August 29th, 2009, 4:51 pm

beaujest4 wrote:Just to through another vairable into the equation.

What 105s are diesel and auto?

Looking at a tourer thats wife friendly
We picked up a 105 1HZ 4 speed auto a few years ago. It had most of the goodies on it including a Safari turbo and intercooler.

Unless you really want to slow the missus down the auto 1HZ really needs a turbo kit. I stepped out of a 1HZ manual 80 into the turbo auto, it was painfull, then testdrove a 1HZ auto without a turbo..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ painfull.

They are a bit hard to find but out there and if you can't afford the factory turbo they are a good in between with a live axle.

You'll notice our avatar... yep, the missus drives our Cruiser

[color="Plum"]BEU77Y[/color] and the [color="RoyalBlue"]BEE55T[/color] 105 series GXL Intercooled turbo diesel auto

[font="Arial Black"][color="Navy"][i]Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive[/i][/color][/font]

joeT
Been here a while

Unread post by joeT » September 3rd, 2009, 11:42 am

question then, an i've double checked, got a 100 series 2000 make. live front end 1hz donk wit after market turbo intercooled? from what reading it only mainly 105 series with live thou.

beaujest4
Part of the furniture

Unread post by beaujest4 » September 3rd, 2009, 7:14 pm

BEU77Y wrote:We picked up a 105 1HZ 4 speed auto a few years ago. It had most of the goodies on it including a Safari turbo and intercooler.

Unless you really want to slow the missus down the auto 1HZ really needs a turbo kit. I stepped out of a 1HZ manual 80 into the turbo auto, it was painfull, then testdrove a 1HZ auto without a turbo..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ painfull.

They are a bit hard to find but out there and if you can't afford the factory turbo they are a good in between with a live axle.

You'll notice our avatar... yep, the missus drives our Cruiser

Thanks for the infor mate.

I have heard it said the Diesel auto is a bit of a slug. Searching via the web there seems to be a good jump in price between the HZJ105R to the HDJ100R.

As the vehicle will be a tourer and it looks like I can keep my hilux so the live axle isn't really as much an issue. Just see what we can find, not a great number of diesel autos, compared to the manuals anyhow.

thanks again for the info.
Cheers Al

Do everything twice, just in case you got it wrong the first time

vxtreem
Avid Poster

Unread post by vxtreem » September 3rd, 2009, 9:22 pm

joeT wrote:question then, an i've double checked, got a 100 series 2000 make. live front end 1hz donk wit after market turbo intercooled? from what reading it only mainly 105 series with live thou.
HZJ105 = Live Axle Front

joeT
Been here a while

Unread post by joeT » September 13th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Ar double checked AGAIN an hey yr right an surprise surprise I'm wrong but i'm use to that cause my miss tells me SHE NEVER WRONG so it gotta be me ha, was looking at the toyo plate which say 100 series but the on the OTHER plate an i knew what i was looking 4 1 found it written HZJ105. so thanks.

FKT08
Avid Poster

Unread post by FKT08 » September 14th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Some of you may recognize this from another site. Thanks Greg. Thought this may help.

The 100 series vs. 105 series

When first released in Australia in March 1998, the new 100 series Landcruiser wagons all looked very similar, apart from the obvious things like wheels, body moulds and the fancy chrome bits between model grades. But as time progressed we began to learn that there are in fact 2 very different chassis setups underpinning these bodies.

In this day and age of monocoque vehicle design, it was good to see the Cruiser did in fact retain its traditional rugged truck like separate chassis design.

The 105 series chassis is essentially a carry over from the previous 80 series. Apart from some improvements to rigidity through extra cross members, better frontal impact absorption and different outriggers to support the new body, it continues to offer us live axles front and rear.

Live axle or Rigid Front Suspension (RFS) as Toyota refer to it uses the familiar 3 link setup with forged lower arms, panhard rod, coil springs and recirculating ball steering box. It was standard fitment on STD, RV and GXL models at release. Front and rear differential locks were offered as factory options.

The 100 series chassis is an all new design, utilising a different chassis which is some 40mm wider at the rear, narrowing down at the front to incorporate the fixed front differential, torsion bars, heavy cross member for the rear torsion bar mounts and of course the double wishbone front suspension with rack and pinion steering. Independent Front Suspension (IFS) offers according to Toyota information “a high level of steering ability and ride comfort, whilst maintaining excellent off road drivability and durability”. A front diff lock was never offered as a factory option with IFS.

The IFS was only available on the GXV model (and Lexus LX470) initially at release, but progressed to the GXL and GXV turbo diesel models when the V8 GXV was dropped in Oct. 2000. Further model progressions in Oct. 2002 saw it fitted to all models except the STD and GXL diesel wagons with 1HZ engine, when the 4.5L petrol engine was dropped.

To date there have been numerous reports of failures of the IFS lower wishbones, where the arm cracks adjacent to the point where the torsion bar bolts to it, sometimes to the point that the vehicle will sit on it’s bumpstop. This appears only to be evident on the turbo diesel models where the extra weight of the inline 6 cylinder and the different weight distribution of the longer engine cause the arm to be more highly stressed, particularly if the vehicle has additional accessories and has been used offroad. Some companies like ARB and Pedders are making strengthening kits to help alleviate the problem.

The rear suspensions of both the 100 and 105 series are the familiar 5 link design, utilising upper and lower control arms, panhard rod, coil springs and shock absorbers although the geometry is quite different. The 105 series also retains the traditional Cruiser full floating rear axle shafts whereas the 100 series utilises the semi-floating rear axle design.

The 2 chassis variants are distinguished by their model code which is easily found on the ID plate under the bonnet. Any model code with the suffix “100” (eg. UZJ100, HDJ100) is of IFS design, and “105” (eg. HZJ105, FZJ105) is of RFS design. However an easy way of telling at a glance is by the wheel rim design - deep dish zero offset for RFS and flat appearing 40mm offset for the IFS.

Because of the differences in the chassis designs, the following is an example of common 4x4 accessories that are not compatible between 100 and 105 series:

• Bull bars
• Rear bar / towbar / wheel carrier
• Side steps
• Scrub rails
• Long range tanks
• Wheels / rims

vxtreem
Avid Poster

Unread post by vxtreem » September 14th, 2009, 4:37 pm

errr page 1!!!

Barnsey
Been here a while

Unread post by Barnsey » September 18th, 2009, 5:34 pm

My 105 is a 2001 solid axle with 2006 running gear............except with a bigger turbo, exhaust and a performance chip, etc.

Why didn't Toyota just build this to start with? I've driven other 100s and 105s and frankly, they're ordinary.

timetogo
Here and there

Unread post by timetogo » October 13th, 2009, 3:21 pm

DJR96 wrote:Come to think of it. I reckon 80% of buyers would not have cared less which suspension the Landcruisers had when buying new. Most buyers would get one regardless.
If told it has IFS, the typical response would probably be "ooh that'll be nice on the road" and not given it another thought.:crazy:
Hi all

First post on this forum.

Quote above is dead right for me. I come from a POS backgound. POS = piece of sh*t = Disco II Td5 . The most expensive and the most unreliable car I have ever owned. It kept me stressed for all the time I had it and i got b.gger all for it when I sold it. It never did the right thing - but thats another story

Anyway, after that, - I just wanted a cruiser - Factory turbo and after months of hunting ( living in the NT at the time ) I found one and it has been a dream car. The only grief it has given me is water ingestion into diffs ( raised the breathers up now and put new seals in ).

It pulls my caravan with ease and I have spent alot of time travelling though the the NT, Kimberlies, Pilbra and central dessert and it has been everything I wanted and more.

I'll will be a hard person to convince to buy anything other then toyota from now on in

105snoozer4x4
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 100 and 105 series differences

Unread post by 105snoozer4x4 » September 22nd, 2018, 11:10 am

So are the bodys the same? Headlights is what i am actually looking at.. i want to upgrade the headlights but on ebay there is only 1 option for the 105 series but lots for the 100 series. Are they all the same?

Return to “100 Series”