RAV4 2007 Mini Tourer - dazzler66

Whether it's your first tourer or a hardcore playtruck, show us your vehicle or what you're building inside, and keep us up to date on your mods as they happen!
nmoir
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by nmoir » July 31st, 2009, 9:56 am

hi dazzler66 , How is the Rav going? , my company is about to buy a 09 Rav for me to use. I really like the look of your mini tourer , what sort of prices for the suspension and tyres?

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » July 31st, 2009, 6:39 pm

Hi Nmoir

It is just fantastic. On another thread I was asking about what 4wd to upgrade to as we are expecting another child and need a six seater. Test drove lots of big 4wds but hadnt found the one that suited us (not a truck). Would love a prado but the d4d ones are still very expensive (for us).

Anyways, the Rav is designed for a third row seat and is equipped with it in the states and japan, even the middle seats flip forward correctly like a people mover. Just found out that you can get an aftermarket seat for the back that is the same as the factory one for $2500. So we are keeping the Rav and fitting the third row.

As for the suspension. The coils are about $180 a pair plus fitting (Kings Springs). I got the tyres on special for $175 ea and the wheels were a similar price.

Horses for courses of course, but I think for many 4wders with a family they are a great option, with the 7seat option particularly, if they are mainly doing fire trails/national parks and really only need the added traction and ground clearance. For around 35k you could have a brand new one with seven seater option and the mods that mine has. Great around town and on the highway. When a seven seat prado is over 50k that 15k saving will cover a lot of hiring of true 4wds when needed and the missus is happy cause its easy to get around in.

I am building a light weight camper trailer at the moment to go with it and we plan on doing another big trip next year including Fraser and the cape. We will get to cairns and hire a true 4wd for the trip nth from there.

In about 18months I will be needing a second car as number one son will be driving age. I will probably get a second hand low mileage v6 model and do the mods again for me and use this one as the second car.

Highly recommended.

nmoir
I'm new, be nice!

couple more questions

Unread post by nmoir » August 1st, 2009, 12:09 pm

thanks mate , i took a test model down to boat harbour sand dunes 4wd park in kurnell and was taken aback by its ability actually , i usually drive a late model disco (dads) which you can go anywhere with, so when i was negotiating dunes fairly easily without even dropping tyre pressure i was pleasently surprised , to fit those tyres you have do i have to get the suspension raise? also one question for the late model RAV owners out there as i cant get a straight answer from toyota salesmen. Will the rav direct any power to the rear wheels at any time over 40kph? , i know you cant lock it in but after seeing episode 1 of top gear Australia the RAV v6 seems to be doing well over 40kph and having no traction issues so i thought it may be directing some power to all 4 wheels still.

thanks dazzler66

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » August 1st, 2009, 1:30 pm

I think you could fit the tyres without the aftermarket springs as it doesnt touch anywhere during articulation (stop laughting SAS people).

The rear is disconnected over 40km/h as my light goes out at that and comes back on under 40kmh. I personally dont like the system but from what i understand the idea is that you get the front wheel drive benefits of better fuel economy over AWD and the AWD capability at speeds that you need it.

It hasn't surfaced as an issue yet, probably more a philosophical one rather than a real one.

I am trying to get hold of some cheap earlier 16" rims to fit some mud tyres to for trips away. It hasnt stopped raining here for months.

create
Here and there

Unread post by create » August 2nd, 2009, 4:51 pm

I have a 2008 Rav4 V6 as my daily drive and it is brilliant. The places I have been are amazing. Beach driving in soft sand and rocky stuff too. The only thing that stops it is articulation. If you can keep 3 wheels on the ground it goes anywhere.
The cutout of 4wd at 40km/h doesnt seem to effect its ability and I havent really noticed it.

nmoir
I'm new, be nice!

ta

Unread post by nmoir » August 7th, 2009, 9:55 am

thanks create , i think they are getting me the v4 but should be right ,

vSAHARAx
Been here a while

Unread post by vSAHARAx » August 7th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Mate nice build up there! Not many people have much faith in the (not so) little Rav's. A couple of times I have seen our friends in action on the farm. falls off the wet greasy track, no thanks to the bridgey HT's, onto freshly worked ground. But to my supprise, even with red mud half way up the rim. We always get it out and back on the track under its own steam. Alot has to do with the old saying though "If In Doubt........Rev It Out"!!! :D:truck:

Keep up the good work mate!

Troy :thumb:
[align=center][font=Trebuchet MS][color=black][b][u]91 HDJ80, Pride And Joy![/u][/b][/color][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Trebuchet MS][color=black][b][u]07, BF MkII Rip-Curl XR6 Turbo Ute[/u][/b][/color][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Trebuchet

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Now with 7 seats

Unread post by dazzler66 » January 25th, 2010, 8:36 pm

The stork arrived and delivered child number four so we needed a six seater. The Ravs in the US and Japan can be ordered with a third row and the Aus one has the space provided but you just cant source the third row from the US or Japan.

Was looking at trading the Rav but then found out that an exact copy of the factory one was now available for $2500 fitted and complianced.

Had it fitted and very happy with the result. It folds back into the floor like the factory ones (pajeroish)
[ATTACH]36031[/ATTACH]

And unlike my 100series 3rd row it sits up off the floor so there is good leg room.
[ATTACH]36029[/ATTACH]

Only issue we had was the oz model has a plastic tray that fits behind the 2nd row and this restricts room for the kids feet. So I took it out and cut a piece of black carpet to cover the area. It actually blends in well.
[ATTACH]36030[/ATTACH]

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nmoir
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by nmoir » February 17th, 2010, 9:28 am

geez , youve almost built a new model!

finally got my Rav4 2010 cv , have taken it down some fire trails in the Wollemi nat park and Stockton beach and i am pretty impressed with its ability , i think i am going to fit Pirelli Scorpions to it and maybe give it a bit more clearance down the track as i couldnt really push it hard down the dunes in case it nosedived into the bottom but first will be putting in a couple of tow points as i think i will find the limit to its ability at some point.

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » February 17th, 2010, 11:11 am

Hey,

I will be replacing the tyres soon and will be dropping back a little in size, probably from a 245 back to a 235 just to bring back a little more zip.

We have also found that as the bridgies have worn a bit (30k) all of a sudden they became real noisy (hum).

cheers

Hippo_Racing
Been here a while

Unread post by Hippo_Racing » March 8th, 2010, 8:34 pm

hey my parents of an 07 cv, despite being a tad underpowerd (in 4cyl trim) and hardly and front end down wards travel (so ive found) its a pretty good car,

ive had to go pull my mate out of a creek as he stupidly understeered his hilux down the bank in the wet (note 1 back wheel in the air and one front wheel inside the guard) in the sloppy mud, drove the rav through a drain, which was steep enough to drag the rear bar, got over to where he was, water running around and all muddy, the rav managed to pull the hilux out with a couple tug on a snatch strap, thats with half worn stock bridgy h/t's,

i was surprised it did it

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » April 3rd, 2010, 3:45 pm

Here is a link to the company that makes the third row seats;

Retro Seating & Automotive Products | 4WD Seating | Australian Made

Rhrock333
I'm new, be nice!

Re: RAV4 2007 Mini Tourer - dazzler66

Unread post by Rhrock333 » January 6th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Hi all,
Digging up an old topic here, but I’m at a point where I’m looking to do some upgrades to my 09 CV RAV4 to hopefully make a little tourer like mentioned here. How was the longevity of your upgrades dazzler66? Did you ever have any trouble with CVs or anything? And what did you find was the best combo of tyres?

I’m based on the sunny coast and have had many a good trip to Double Island Point and around a few of the easier NP tracks around here. The Ravs are so light I’m yet to get stuck, but there’s been a few times where ground clearance starts to become an issue. Hoping to get over to Fraser in the near future too, but after heading over with a mate recently I’d love to upgrade to something bigger with low range, but I just can’t afford anything with less than 200k+ on the clock. Looking also to head west through Boulia to the Centre this year, so need to figure out whether it’s worth putting the coin into my reliable little Rav.

Return to “Members Rides, Buildups, and Projects”