View topic - Chev 6.2/6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

Chev 6.2/6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Been here a while

Chev 6.2/6.5L Diesel Engine Tips and Tricks

Hi.
Does anyone know where I can download an engine manual for my chev v8 diesel? It's in an 80 series so I only need the engine section, as all the rest of the car is still genuine Toyota.

Thanks

Mike.
Mighty 80 series.

Unread postby Mike Amen » November 23rd, 2006, 6:51 pm

Part of the furniture

Mike,

I have been looking like crazy on the net. Everything keeps pointing me to the Haynes Chev service manual which covers the whole chev range petrol and diesel so nothing specifically for the donk we have. That retails for about $40.

Keeping my eyes pinned....

Unread postby Boxa » November 23rd, 2006, 7:10 pm

Been here a while

have you had a look at http://www.thedieselpage.com/ theres a bit of info there on 6.2L & 6.5L diesels. I have a print out of a manual for the 5.7L & 6.2L but cant find a publishers name on it. you could try lindsey down at linquip http://www.linquip.com.au (07) 54867900 0412 611 602 he`s normaly helpfull

Unread postby crewser » November 24th, 2006, 10:29 am

Part of the furniture

Whats wrong with it?
WEIPA AUTO & MARINE "TOWING PARTS AND ELECTRICAL RACQ"
2000 ute turbo "I lean" work hack
2006 RV ute turbo 6 needs some tlc (missus car)
www.weipaauto.com.au

Unread postby kingchevy » November 25th, 2006, 7:52 am

Been here a while

I've got one here from when we had a 6.5 Chev powered GQ in the family. It is one of the Haynes Techbook series (Haynes Automotive Repair Manual Series) - title 'Diesel Engine Repair Manual' No 10330 (17336) and covers GM (5.7,6.2 and 6.5 litres) and Ford (6.9, and 7.3 litre) engines. Published by the Haynes Publishing Group in England, and Haynes North America, Inc in the USA. ISBN 1 56392 188 X
Any good technical bookshop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Unread postby Tomax » November 25th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Been here a while

Im pretty sure the holden suburbans come out with the same 6.5 chev v8may be worth a look for one of those if all else fails

Unread postby 1tuf75 » November 26th, 2006, 10:34 am

Avid Poster

6. 5 Chev diesel manuals

The manual you are after is often on Ebay , they are ex US army in book form, about $15usd . They are very comprehensive. I have the 6.2 manual . The engines are almost identical, all parts inter fit with the exception of the rear main oil seal ,and early model 6.2 head gaskets. I have spent 10 years repearing ,rebuilding and fitting these engines to various vehicles, any questions regarding this fine GM product, I would be happy to answer on the forum or by email . Les ----- Brisbane

Unread postby Les Addison » December 6th, 2006, 8:52 am

Part of the furniture

Les why does my 02 6.5 overheat in the 75 series cruiser ute?? it seems to hold the heat and build up over long drive periods? or if you let it sit an idle within 5 mins its boiling?
WEIPA AUTO & MARINE "TOWING PARTS AND ELECTRICAL RACQ"
2000 ute turbo "I lean" work hack
2006 RV ute turbo 6 needs some tlc (missus car)
www.weipaauto.com.au

Unread postby kingchevy » December 6th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Avid Poster

6.2 / 6.5 diesel Overheat

Hi to Kingchevy . wow man, you have touched on one of the favorite chevy questions.:mad: I chased the problem for 8 years,for my own, and several other clients . For all overheating problems there is rarely one answer alone, to establish the cause . Firstly on these engines there is 2 types of belt drives, the early 6.2s and 6.5s had V belts , the later ones had Serpentine belts. If your engine had a serpentine belt ,and you now have fitted V belts, the waterpump will be rotating in the wrong direction. Now you'r going to ask me how do I tell . When I work out how to add pics, I will post them . Ok next thing .You have to start with the basics . Does the fan lock up PROPERLY ,can you hear it roaring , does the thermostat work properly and what type is it & what temp is it.(( Are you positive the gauge is accurate.)) Is there a coil spring in the bottom hose. Air flow into radiator.Is there any restrictors in the system. What width belts. How many belts drive it. What kind of fan are you using,(do not use electric fans). What kind of pulleys are on it . Who did your conversion ?? and engine build. Now we get to the good part.. What type of radiator is it . Std Toyota ? alum or copper.Or one of these so called you beut ones. What side, pass, or driver, does the top rad hose go into. Run the motor till it gets to normal temp, take the top off the overflow bottle, put the rubber tube into a half full coke bottle of water, raise the revs to about 1500 and check to see if there is any bubbles blowing from the tube , which would indicate a blown head gasket.... From now on it gets interesting. Let me know all the answers to the questions, before we get to the nitty gritty.. There is an answerI will tell you when all else fails:D...... Les

Unread postby Les Addison » December 6th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Been here a while

Les Addison wrote:The manual you are after is often on Ebay , they are ex US army in book form, about $15usd . They are very comprehensive. I have the 6.2 manual . The engines are almost identical, all parts inter fit with the exception of the rear main oil seal ,and early model 6.2 head gaskets. I have spent 10 years repearing ,rebuilding and fitting these engines to various vehicles, any questions regarding this fine GM product, I would be happy to answer on the forum or by email . Les ----- Brisbane

Thanks Les I'll look on eBay.

Can you tell me where the Tacho getis it signal from on the 6.5L? Mine seems to stick when I first start the motor. I know it's not the head unit, because if I tap it the needle jumps. After the motor is running for a few minutes the tacho will then start working properly. BTW it's in an 1994 80 Series.
Ta
Mike.
Mighty 80 series.

Unread postby Mike Amen » December 7th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Avid Poster

Tacho sender to gauge

Hi Mike, it can be sent from 4 places ,1- the oil pump drive at rear of the engine in the middle of the V. 2 Ring gear teeth from a magnetic sensor in bell housing . 3 from an after market kit with a sensor mounted on the timing cover aimed at a pin placed in the harmonic balancer. 4 6.5s Had a sensor with 2 wires that fit ito a hole in the left side near the bottom of the timing cover..
Last edited by Les Addison on April 26th, 2013, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Les Addison » December 7th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Avid Poster

Diesel workshop Manual

Mike , there is one or two on Ebay, look under (chevy diesel) world wide search. Les
Last edited by Les Addison on April 26th, 2013, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Les Addison » December 7th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Been here a while

Les Addison wrote:Mike , there is one or two on Ebay, look under (chevy diesel) world wide search. Les

Thanks Les
I've bought it. It comes as an electronic copy on CD, with downloadable updates.

Mike
Mighty 80 series.

Unread postby Mike Amen » December 8th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Avid Poster

Engine improvements

Good stuff Mike . Some of the engineering shops in USA do some remarkable things with these engines. You will never run out of parts for them , as AMG Hummer bought the entire machinery from GM and now fully produce the engines, with some very good modifications to their known problems . Les
Last edited by Les Addison on April 26th, 2013, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Les Addison » December 8th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Avid Poster

V8 Chevy diesel overheat problems..

This is to identify the two different types of water pumps fitted to V8 Chev diesels
The left one is for Vbelt drives , the right one is for Sepentine belt drives .Note the difference of the top section of the pumps . It can easily be seen on your engine, just below the oil filler tube where it goes into the engine.. Serpentine pumps run in anticlockwise direction,as the belt drives the pump from the outside of the belt. Note -- Dealers will be aware of this on their instalations, People who purchase their engines else where , may not be aware of the need to change the pumps, if fitting V belt pulleys..Les

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby Les Addison » December 10th, 2006, 11:42 am

Next

Return to General Tech