View topic - GU Patrol Front Wheel Bearings

GU Patrol Front Wheel Bearings

Discuss technical aspects of your 4WD with other owners, and share your opinions
Getting to know the place

GU Patrol Front Wheel Bearings

Hi All,
Have recently noticed that my front hubs get very hot. I had the front wheel bearings repacked earlier this year. I also checked the seating of the bearings and checked the torque of the bearing nuts (with calibrated torque wrench borrowed from work) torqued to only 3Nm according to the Gregorys manual. Is it normal for them to get so hot or would it be because of braking to a halt, at lights, home, etc. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Unread postby 3.0turbob » September 28th, 2006, 9:50 am

They do seem to get pretty hot if your been driving for a while.

Cheers Mick.
Micks HID Projector Retrofits
All custom work and DIY kits available.
PM me or phone on 0403596123

Unread postby Mick. » September 28th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Need to get out more

They shouldn't get hot during normal driving, any heat would be from the brakes if you brake hard.

After driving for a little bit, try pulling up gently, even by using the handbrake if need be and get out and feel the hubs, they should be just warm to touch.

If they are hot then you have issues with either the bearings being crook and / or overtensioned, or possibly the brakes are dragging due to the pistons not retracting or the slides sticking which means time to overhaul the calipers.
Greg G.
2000 HDJ105 ~ 1HD-FT I/C TD

Unread postby HDJ105 » September 29th, 2006, 9:03 am

Getting to know the place

HDJ105 wrote:They shouldn't get hot during normal driving, any heat would be from the brakes if you brake hard.

After driving for a little bit, try pulling up gently, even by using the handbrake if need be and get out and feel the hubs, they should be just warm to touch.

If they are hot then you have issues with either the bearings being crook and / or overtensioned, or possibly the brakes are dragging due to the pistons not retracting or the slides sticking which means time to overhaul the calipers.

Thanks Greg,
Will do some more checking over the weekend.
Rob

Unread postby 3.0turbob » September 29th, 2006, 9:48 am

Return to General Tech