High mileage 3.2 - what should I replace or watch closely?

joshua779
I'm new, be nice!

High mileage 3.2 - what should I replace or watch closely?

Unread post by joshua779 » May 3rd, 2019, 6:30 am

Hi guys, new to the forum

I’ve just purchased a 2013 Mazda BT50 3.2 with a 6 speed auto.

Car has done 320,000 km but has a complete Mazda service history and I only paid $7000 for it so I’m pretty happy, it runs great, just like it’s only done 80,000km.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be keeping an eye on or replacing given the kms the car has done?
I’ve read they have issues with injectors and hoses causing engine failure.

Also has anyone had trouble with the seats ? My driver's seat absolutely kills my back.

My ultimate goal is to set it up as a tourer, so any advice is welcome.

Itsbrung
Here and there

Re: High mileage 3.2 - what should I replace or watch closely?

Unread post by Itsbrung » May 3rd, 2019, 5:06 pm

Hi Joshua, I have late 2011 3.2 manual done 120,000km bought from new cost around $50.000. Have had to replace slave cylinder for clutch ( in bell housing) $1,250. Wiring loom to turbo, broken pin $1,000. contacted Mazda Australia 2 years past warranty Mazda replaced under warranty including labour, no other issues. $7000 surely can't go wrong.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » May 3rd, 2019, 11:13 pm

2013 BT50 with 130000 on it.
Nothing really has gone wrong. It did get a ride to the dealer when a few months old for a blown intercooler hose and a second one went around 2 years later (also warranty). Silicone or alloy intercooler hoses might be worth it, but if they haven't failed yet...

Crank angle sensors had a habit of rattling loose, so some loctite on the bolt for that can save you some head scratching.

Keep an eye on the coolant level, if its leaking and you can't find the leak, then it may be going into the EGR cooler, was an issue on the older model, not so much this one and with that many k's it has probably done lots of highway km and dried the system out so as not to corrode in the first place

Overall, I think they are pretty reliable, yes a few have up and died, but considering the numbers of BT's and Rangers getting around, they are pretty reliable on the whole.

Mine did chafe the wires to the diff lock inside the diff housing, so diff lock wouldn't work, even though all the lights on the dash said it was on. I fixed it by pulling the diff carrier, repairing the wire and bolting it back together again. Cost wise, about the same as changing diff the oil.
http://www.newranger.net/forums/viewtop ... 17&t=11795

janddbone
Getting to know the place

Unread post by janddbone » May 15th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Sounds well run. It is probably in better shape than most of the one with half that distance and do shorter trips... Keep changing the oil!

Return to “PX Ranger / New BT50”