Why do Tritons have a bad name?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Blakenic
I'm new, be nice!

Why do Tritons have a bad name?

Unread post by Blakenic » April 30th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Why do Mitsubishi Triton's have a bad name? I can't talk much about the ML and older models as I have had no first hand experience with them. But the MN and up models are quite well built for the price in my opinion. At least in comparison to a Toyota Hilux.

The MN Triton has a bigger, stronger tailshaft. The differential is stronger, with the internals being bigger and the LSD is a better design than a Hilux's for example. The engines are generally reliable and make more power from the factory than a Hilux.

However, the Hilux is easier to get parts for and has a better name.

Why do Tritons have a bad name, the usual response is "why didn't you buy a hilux". Doesn't make sense to me.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Why do Tritons have a bad name?

Unread post by hoyks » May 2nd, 2019, 9:40 pm

I looked at getting one years ago, back when they had the short tub.

But then the marketing department pushed for a bigger tub and they went from the smallest load area in the class to the biggest, but didn't change the chassis design or material thickness. So you have a longer overhang and the wheels still at the front of the load area and they got a bit of a reputation for bending. Google bent ute and Triton are over represented in the results

Choking to death on the EGR deposits are also an issue.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”