Buying Triton GLXR - good deal or not?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Blakenic
I'm new, be nice!

Buying Triton GLXR - good deal or not?

Unread post by Blakenic » January 5th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Hi guys, I was looking at buying a 2015 Mitsubishi MN Triton GLXR for $23.5K driveaway including tax and stamp duty. I think it is a good deal and would suit what I need, as my 4wd would also need to be my daily driver and I do about 500km a week.
My mates with 105 series landcruisers and td42 patrols argue they are gutless and not real 4wds. As much as I agree they aren't as they have IRS and they are a lot more light duty than cruisers. Why do Tritons get a bad wrap on here; is there something I am missing?
Would I be better off buying something else? My budget is less than $25k, dual cab, must be reliable, and have fairly low kms less than 150,000km.
Thank you.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Buying Triton GLXR - good deal or not?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 5th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Hi Blakenic, do you reckon a Triton will do all you need it to as a 4WD? Bear in mind that unless your mate's Landcruisers & Patrols are fairly heavily modded, very likely just about any 'straight off the showroom floor' 4WD (not necessarily inc SUV's) on the market today will go to all the same readily & legally accessible places (altho maybe they'll hafta work just a little bit harder than the bigger jobbies & might wear out a bit quicker if they spend all their time in the rough stuff!) AND the Triton will probably be a bit lighter on fuel & maybe even more nimble & versatile around town than the bigger 4WD's, altho you might wanta carefully check what the rego costs are for a Ute in your neck of the woods..... Some States make you pay the more expensive commercial rego & ins rates for Utes, even if it's a Dual Cab & only the family vehicle!

But the IRS & those things that might mean it hasta work harder off road are what makes it better at all your other driving; so if it hasta be your daily driver & it does what YOU need it to on & off road & does it while driving in a way that makes you happy, it sounds like it's probably a good deal..... not that I know anything about the prices of these things these days! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Blakenic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Blakenic » January 5th, 2019, 10:39 pm

I think it will, only thing that lets it down is I think it has a bad reputation. I would prefer the Hilux, but value for money it doesn't compare to the Triton and has it's fair share of issues (more so than the triton in my opinion).
But I am not experienced with 4wds so am keen to hear others opinions.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 6th, 2019, 12:02 am

Given that alternative, I reckon I'd go the Triton any day! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cbd
Been here a while

Unread post by cbd » January 6th, 2019, 7:16 am

G’day
MIT perjero is a lengend of a vehicle. As soon as they make Ute every picks on it?
My bro had a 2 wheel single Ute for 5 years or so. Never caused him a bit of trouble.
As soon as he started to look for a twin cab 4x4 secound hand, nothing. No one parts with them in country NSW. He got a ranger in the end. But would have had a a Triton if he could have found one

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”