RC Colorado catch can

Collie Colorado
I'm new, be nice!

RC Colorado catch can

Unread post by Collie Colorado » December 28th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering what a "normal" amount of oil to drain out of a catch can is after about 1000k?

I've got a diesel RC Colorado in manual with a flashlube catch can. I drained about 50-75ml out of it. Are there any mods that would cause excessive oil in the catch can?

Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: RC Colorado catch can

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 29th, 2018, 1:03 am

The 'Normal' amount of condensed oil fumes or even liquid blow-by collected in a catch-can over the time between scheduled oil changes on a modern diesel could be anything from nothing right thru to a litre or so.... altho anything much more than a litre or so in the catch-can over 5000km should probably be of concern. :o

Anything that can increase compression or blow-by could increase that qty tho; things like upping the boost, especially from any charge-air device (turbo or super charger); sustained high rev or high temp running; over-filling the sump with oil (just not so much that it breaks things instantly when they start rotating!); using the incorrect weight of oil (too light); or even just wear over time could mean you end up with more oil being collected in the catch-can. But really, if the engine is still running strongly, compression is good & fairly even across the cylinders, the oil is the correct type & weight for the engine, it's being filtered properly & changed at appropriate intervals (you can get it tested to make sure of this!), & the oil level isn't dropping below the 'Add' level very often or for long, then you really shouldn't be too concerned about a little more oil in the catch-can! A little extra blow-by in the catch-can isn't usually of as much concern as burning too much oil is; just don't skimp on oil quality if this is happening!! You need the good stuff in there so it can do its best & stop things getting worse very quickly; and besides, if all the above applies & you keep your catch-can clean & return the oil to the sump frequently, it's just like adding an extra oil cooling cycle to the system! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » December 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm

New vehicles have very little blow by, after a while it increases as parts (oil rings etc) wear.
My older 3.0 tdi 4cyl PK Ranger catch can still collects about 20ml or so in a few thousand km.
I have gone from Penrite 5-30 to 10-40 now, at 190k km on the motor, probably changed a couple of summers ago to no apparent ill effect.

Tend to do oil and oil filter at ~ 7500km now, so keeping the oil in better condition too = better longevity for the engine overall I hope.

Collie Colorado
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Collie Colorado » January 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
I pulled out my Roos systems chip and changed from penrite to Dello 400. I've noticed since then that around town little oil ends up in the catch can now but after driving from Canberra to Sydney it collects about 5ml or so. I think I'll just monitor it and see what happens

Return to “Colorado”