White smoke on start-up - should I be worried?

butters7
I'm new, be nice!

White smoke on start-up - should I be worried?

Unread post by butters7 » October 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Hi all.
Ive noticed a lot of white smoke coming from my 2004 d22 ZD-30. i have replaced glow plugs and still no difference. The smoke is only there on cold start ups and disappears when at running temperature. Is this something to be worried about? Yes i have blanked the EGR and Swirl mod but not sure if they have anything to do with the amount of smoke. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: White smoke on start-up - should I be worried?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 13th, 2018, 6:51 am

Have the times this occurs only been the coolish & a bit damp mornings? Or does it occur even on warm dry days when you don't start it first until almost lunch-time? If it's the latter, or just every time you start after it's sat for a while, then you should probably check power to the glow circuit - it needs to continue powering the glow plugs for some time after the engine fires (ie, until the engine gets close to or reaches operating temp) or you'll likely get white smoke. Of course, that white smoke could also be indicating that your engine has head or gasket problems; maybe the injectors are dribbling a little instead of atomising the fuel properly; or the engine might need some correction to timing. There are probably other things that it could be too, some less of an issue, possibly some of more concern... So it's probably worth checking further at this stage rather than worrying just yet. Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Navara”