Anyone recognize this BJ74? unique VIN.

lazylfarm
I'm new, be nice!

Anyone recognize this BJ74? unique VIN.

Unread post by lazylfarm » October 12th, 2018, 12:35 am

Hello, I just got this BJ74 and it was already built up. It looks like a fairly standard build, but maybe someone on here has seen it or owned it? It's currently in the US.

This is an 11/88 build date with a neat VIN number. The last of the VIN is 000001. It looks like it sold in 1991 from Torque Toyota according to a commercial delivery paper I have and the service records confirm that as well.

Built up with an ARB Bar, dual ARB lockers, ARB compressor, redarc dual battery, homemade rear bumper, Rono overhead console, Maxi-trac/repco shocks and lift, snorkel (appear OEM except for topper) flares, Narva lights. My friend purchased and imported it about 4 years ago from around Brisbane area so I think this cruiser has pretty much spent its life there. It's a long shot for someone to recognize, but you never know. The last service records were in '93 from Toowoomba area.

It's now residing on our farm in the US and I'm rebuilding the engine. It popped a hose on my friend, overheated, blew the headgasket, so I have a full rebuild kit, sleeves, pistons, and I'm going to get her back going. Body wise it's in very solid shape and looks to have pretty minimal rust that I have found.

interior

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Anyone recognize this BJ74? unique VIN.

Unread post by hoyks » October 12th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I don't recognize it, but the Toyota dealer is still there in Moorooka, so they might be able to shed some light on its history.

Out around Toowoomba and Oakey are big farming areas, so its a fair bet a cashed up farmer bought it and drove it to town once a week.

For the snorkel, the ram head does look a bit *****. It would have had a Toyota mushroom head on it as standard, they are a bit lower profile and incorporate a dust separator.
Imagehttp://www.mpps.co.ke/buy.php?productID=4&productType=1

lazylfarm
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by lazylfarm » October 12th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Thanks Hoyks, not sure how long dealers keep info, but that would be some cool history to find. I found a paper that shows who it sold to in 1991. It says a Toyota Commercial Delivery Card. Now logically to me that means it was sold as a commercial vehicle. In the US thats a little different than a normal car sales, but in Australia I don't know.

It looks like HBH, or 4BH in spring hill. Not sure if that's a business or what?

Yeah, I found the part number for that OEM topper. My guess is at some point the original broke and they just replaced it with this version. The rest of the snorkel appears to be OEM from everything I can see.
This also has a fibreglass windshield and the rare (at least now they are) 16" OEM 70's rims. It's an LX model with A/C, NON-suspension seats, manual locks/windows.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » October 13th, 2018, 11:18 am

Commercial Vehicles in Australia has a slightly different meaning and defined by the tax office as designed for the principle purpose of carrying goods used for business or trade. Back then (before we got all these cross over SUV's to confuse things) 4x4's utilities and trucks would come under the commercial vehicle rules.

4BH was a popular AM radio station in Brisbane that managed to go bust in '95, but is still going, although with a few name changes over the years.
https://www.revolvy.com/page/Macquarie-Sports-Radio-882

Its cool you have all the dealer paperwork. I got FB stalked by a girl that bought my first new car, a Suzuki Sierra I bought in '96 and sold in '99 as I needed a more practical car. It was good to see that after 20 years my disposable 4x4 was still doing well and my back yard rust proofing had done its job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lazylfarm
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by lazylfarm » October 16th, 2018, 7:09 am

Interesting... :cool: 4BH as a radio station. The address checks out so I wonder if the radio station purchased it or someone ( executive/CEO) bought it under the radio station? Thats cool info thanks!

facebook stalked lol. back yard rust proofing works!

I still keep trying to figure out why this has such a unique VIN, 000001's are usually for first run vehicles.

jaxtoy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jaxtoy » March 16th, 2019, 8:27 am

I have the sequential number!
1988 model sold at old port toyota in victoria.
Also used to be an arb promo car too!

I have it up in queensland now days.
Cant seem to upload photos here at the moment either

Return to “70 Series”