Leaking shift-on-fly breathers - any ideas why?

The new ute
pedropajero96
Here and there

Leaking shift-on-fly breathers - any ideas why?

Unread post by pedropajero96 » September 13th, 2018, 11:51 am

In my 2011 cab chassis manual there are three tubes that come up under the bonnet on the wheel arch just in front of the passenger. The ends of these tubes are bent 180deg and all three are covered in a single plastic cover. I think they are breathers for the shift on the fly system.
This is now the second time I have noticed this ...... one or more have been leaking oil and this oil has been pouring down the inside of the wheel arch and chassis rail. I have just completed a dual crossing of the Simmo (Rig Rd and Madigan Line) where I have been in constant High Range 4WD for nearly 1500km. Mostly in 3rd high, cresting dunes in 2nd high on the Rig Road, and 2nd high, cresting dunes in 1st high. Nearly 2000 dunes!
I also crested Big Red a number of times in 3rd low at 'foot to the floor' revs.
I dont know when this happened as I only noticed it when I got back.
Anyone have any ideas why these breathers should leak oil?
2011 Single Cab Chassis
ARB Bull Bar, Avenger Winch, XRay HIDs,265/70/16 Cooper AT3s,ARB OME HD springs/shockies all round with nominal 2" lift,LR fuel tank, additional 80lt tank under tray,Max Trax,GME UHF Radio,Mobile Booster ariel,GPS and Laptop runni

jazzeddie1234
Been here a while

Re: Leaking shift-on-fly breathers - any ideas why?

Unread post by jazzeddie1234 » November 15th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Does the oil smell ok? I had oil comming out my transfer case breather and it was due to deteriorated oil after a few really long 4wd trips. A change fixed it.
Isuzu Dmax 2014 LSM,
Sports Range bull bar,
12,000lb winch, ome suspension, 135l poly long range tank

pedropajero96
Here and there

Unread post by pedropajero96 » December 1st, 2018, 9:36 pm

The oil was clean and definately from the shift on the fly system, but i think one of the breathers comes from the tube that links the front diff to the passenger side front axle, so it may be front diff oil.
2011 Single Cab Chassis
ARB Bull Bar, Avenger Winch, XRay HIDs,265/70/16 Cooper AT3s,ARB OME HD springs/shockies all round with nominal 2" lift,LR fuel tank, additional 80lt tank under tray,Max Trax,GME UHF Radio,Mobile Booster ariel,GPS and Laptop runni

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » December 26th, 2018, 9:06 am

Bit of a late reply. One hose is the breather for the front diff, another is the axle and the last is the SOTF. The SOTF can blow a bit of oil, particularly if overfilled. The model upgrade in 2012, resolved this SOTF issue with an oil collection box behind the driver’s side headlight which collects the oil and allows it to drain back to the SOTF.

Return to “DMax”