Camping with dogs in hot weather?

It's an amazing world, so get out there and enjoy it! Discussion about camping inside
Suzi_girl_09
Getting to know the place

Camping with dogs in hot weather?

Unread post by Suzi_girl_09 » August 31st, 2018, 9:20 am

Hey! My husband and I with the 2 dogs are making our way north to Darwin in December. We live south so we are very familiar with the cold n dry heat. Any tips on keeping dogs cooler on this sort of trip. One dog has short hair n I think she will be ok but the other has long hair.
Thanks for your advice!

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Camping with dogs in heat!

Unread post by hoyks » August 31st, 2018, 1:35 pm

I read that so wrong :redface: .

They adapt reasonably well, but to help them out have somewhere cool for them to lay down. Of course have plenty of water available.

They Inside or outside dogs?

A hessian bag dipped in water and laid out flat can help give them somewhere cool to lay down. My dog likes to find a nice cool slab of cement and lay down with his bits and belly on the cement.

Clipping will help the long haired one, don't go too short though as the hair does give some sun protection.

They will probably still want to run, but don't let them run themselves into the ground. A swim or a bit of a hose off will cool them down, but be very careful of your selection of swimming hole as you may come away with one less dog.

Suzi_girl_09
Getting to know the place

Re: Camping with dogs in hot weather?

Unread post by Suzi_girl_09 » August 31st, 2018, 3:13 pm

Thanks for the tips :) They are inside when we are home (bit spoilt). Yeah might get the German shep professionally clipped until she acclimatises to the weather. And yes we will deffinately be careful with the water holes.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Camping with dogs in hot weather?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 31st, 2018, 6:47 pm

Search the internet for 'Dog cooling mat' or a 'pet cooling pad'- you can get them in a variety of sizes & a few different types, ranging from those you need to soak in water for 24 hrs first, right thru to those you just open & lay out in the shade; it all depends on how much you want to spend & if you are travelling with access to enough water & space to soak things. Regardless of the type, if you have a mat or two available so your dogs can lie on them if they feel the need then your dogs will travel a lot better! The 'just spread out' jobbies are a much better choice if your dogs travel inside the cabin with you, but you might need to have a couple for each dog on hand so that you can swap them around once the one in use gets warmed up by the hot dog using it for a few hours.... It's also a very good idea to get the dogs used to them at home before you leave - just encourage them to lie on them & transfer a bit of their own personal odour onto the mat/pad so that it becomes an acceptable 'place of shelter or relief from the heat' once you hit the road & want to use them in the car or at your various camp sites/overnight stops, etc.

I've used them for our animals for many years, after graduating from the old 'wet hessian sack' jobbie (which btw, will work best if slipped over a frame with 6" or so high legs to keep it off the ground & encourage air circulation & evaporation underneath it in order to help keep it cool) and our dogs love them in the heat, especially on those really hot nights. In fact, I hafta admit that more than just the once I've shared one of the dog's mats, cos his sleeping pad was cooler than mine!! :eek: But they do work just as well in the car cabin while driving too, and even do fine fitted in the 'dog hotel' tank bag for when I'm travelling on the CanAm Spyder! :thumb:

If you are going to be spending a fair bit of time travelling, it doesn't hurt to try & teach your dogs to do their business when & where you tell them - there's nothing worse than having your dogs get too involved in all the sights & sounds & smells of a new place whenever you stop, only to have them miss out on doing those things you'd rather they didn't do inside the car while you're travelling!! And while you are teaching them things, try to get them drinking from something you can carry in the car & leave set up in there so that they can & do drink while you are driving as well as when you stop. Dogs can get dehydrated very quickly if they are travelling in a car & even more so if they are in a cage on the back of a ute & out in the rushing air, cos if they only get to drink when you stop they might not keep hydrated well enough or you could find that taking time out for drinking conflicts with doing all their other business.... And while driving with the A/c on can help keep them cool, it's also going to be de-humidifying the air in the cabin & fairly quickly de-hydrating your dogs - but it is arguably better to do that than driving around with the outside air blasting them thru an open window with the high ambient heat from outside, no matter how much they'll get off on the overload of smells.... so they will benefit from having access to drinking water while travelling along, IF you can teach them to drink without slopping! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Camping”