Broke uni student looking for cheap economical 4x4

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
SWBfan
I'm new, be nice!

Broke uni student looking for cheap economical 4x4

Unread post by SWBfan » August 3rd, 2018, 12:34 pm

Looking for recommendations on a cheap economical 4x4 to buy. Something small and easy to drive around the city, but also rugged enough to get me out camping and fishing on weekends and the odd long trip throughout the year.

Animal89
Here and there

Re: Broke uni student looking for cheap economical 4x4

Unread post by Animal89 » August 6th, 2018, 2:21 am

Hmmm... In Poland small and cheap 4x4 is suzuki samurai or vitara, simple construction, cheap parts.. Russian Lada Niva..

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » August 6th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Cheap and reliable, generally they are one or the other.

Suzuki's go well though.

Animal89
Here and there

Unread post by Animal89 » August 6th, 2018, 6:22 pm

In PL there are many russian vehicles like lada niva, gaz 69 or uaz.. These are ex military vehicles so they are very tough and peoples put mercedes benz diesel engines on them, patrol axles and much more :) u can fix them with hammer and screwdriver :p Suzuki also are nice but if U want go off road little more U have to change front axle to steel from GV, in PL most of them are rusted so almost for sure U have to repair them... Also small and cheap is suzuki jimny.. Little beast like samurai but with power steering, and with coils on both axles..

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 6th, 2018, 6:56 pm

^^ True hoyks, plus 'small & easy to drive around the city' and 'rugged enough.... [for] the odd long trip' don't really go together too often either!! :ooh:

Ignoring the smallish SUV/Cross-over vehicles as being 'less than ideal 4WD's' SWBfan, you could do worse than trying any of the smaller 4WD's for the 'cheap & economical' bit; Suzi Sierra's & Vitara's, Daihatsu Feroza's, the Lada Niva's (altho there aren't too many of them as yet unclaimed in Aus these days).... and all of those can be a barrel of fun in the rough stuff, but really only if you don't hafta drive more than a couple of hundred km to get there & back again! The further you want/need to drive, the longer you'll want that wheelbase to be! Maybe a WideTrack Feroza or a slightly longer W/base Rocky RV TDi would work for you if you don't mind a little bit of pain in any long distance driving you hafta do, but even those are a little hard to put up with if you need to sit in them for a few days while driving somewhere more'n a few hundred km away or plan on heading interstate!! Maybe you could check out the early V6 Suzi Grand Vitara's - the even earlier 4cyl 4 door Vitara wagons aren't too uncomfortable, but they are a bit small & are basically buzz boxes, so they are pretty hard to take for long distance travel; while the newer GV V6's that are a little bigger again aren't too bad at eating the longer miles, can still manage the rougher stuff, & they really aren't all that much more costly/hard to manage around town.... So what's most important to you?! :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » August 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm

just remember cheap doesn't always work out cheap, sometimes it works out cheaper to spend a little more, my cruiser was cheap but i have sunk another 8 12k into it to get it to where it is today & its going to cost me another 5 or 6k to have my tired engine rebuilt down the track, then there's another 10k in the canopy build, the most i can get it insured for is 8.5k as market value so if anything ever happens to it i am going to be out of pocket by around 30k

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”