Anyone done a 1HZ alternator upgrade? Info?

keep_on_runnin
Here and there

Anyone done a 1HZ alternator upgrade? Info?

Unread post by keep_on_runnin » July 9th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Wanting to upgrade the factory 80amp alternator - 159mm pivot to adj holes. However, i cant find anything else (with greater output) that will fit - all have 165mm pivot to adj holes. Has anyone modified the alternator or alternator bracket to enable one with greater output to fit?

keep_on_runnin
Here and there

Re: Anyone done a 1HZ alternator upgrade? Info?

Unread post by keep_on_runnin » December 13th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Well I worked it out. There is enough play in the alternator bracket mount holes to fit a 165mm. Just back off the bolts (very difficult to get at), fit the alternator, then tighten everthing up again. Got a 140amp now.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 13th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Glad you got it solved! Was this to boost the charging for a dual battery? What sort of isolation system are you running? You've got a couple of solar panels as well, don't you?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

keep_on_runnin
Here and there

Unread post by keep_on_runnin » January 6th, 2019, 9:49 am

Hi Peter, sorry about late reply. I found out that with all driving lights on, air cond on, stereo amp on etc that the 80 amp alternator couldn't keep up - the new 140 amp fixed that. I'm running a basic ctek dual input (solar and alt) system. Solar is great, especially up here in the North West WA, however its not fail proof. One cloudy/shady day at base camp can put a dent in your batteries - remember that fridges are basically cycling constantly because of the heat. So I always carry a 2kva genny with me just for peace of mind. Got 2 50W panels permanently fixed to the roof rack (in front of the roof top tent) and a 3rd on 15m lead which I connect up at camp. A downside to having the panels permanently fixed to the roof rack is that you need to set up camp in the direct sun facing north (when others are nicely positioned under a shady tree). Cheers for now.

Return to “80 Series”