Uniden UH7700NB can't hear it

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Uniden UH7700NB can't hear it

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 6th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Hello all
I have one of these small compact Uniden UH7700NB UHF's.
It's not the size that matter but how you use it as they say....
buuuut I have no idea how to use it.
The manual doesn't help much.
This is my problem;

I can hear everyone load and clear but no one can hear me well.
It's apparently really turned down the sound that comes in.
No one can really hear me unless the person I talk to
has a very quiet 4WD.

So, what's going on? Everything appears to work
but no one can really hear me. They can hear I am saying something but because
it's so softly a conversation is not possible.

Any idea's??

Thanks a lot! Over and out

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Uniden UH7700NB can't hear it

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 6th, 2018, 6:22 pm

That UH770 is an 80 channel UHF, isn't it?? Are their radios older 40 channel UHF CB Radios?? Cos if they are, that'll probably be the issue!! :thumb:

The 80 ch units broadcast on a narrower bandwidth, cos they now fit 80 ch's into the same total spectrum that once only took 40ch transmissions!! So the narrower 80 ch transmission sounds pretty quiet to 40 ch units that are expecting a much wider transmission, and there's not much they can do about it, apart from upgrade their UHF!! Some units can be re-programmed, but the older they are the less likely that'll be possible.... :o

And if they aren't using 40 ch UHF radios, then all I can suggest is that maybe they've turned the Squelch up too much & it's clipping the signal down so they can't hear you.... or possibly their hearing aid batteries need replacing! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 6th, 2018, 8:41 pm

hahaha it's my mate with the hearing aid that is struggling the least.

So, you recon it's them not me?

I think both have 40 channel UHF's but I am not sure.

Thanks anyway

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 6th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Yeah, it's THEM, not you!! Cos any 80 ch radio is going to sound awfully quiet when recieved on a 40 ch radio due to the 80ch unit's narrower transmission bandwidth - there's just not the same signal saturation across the channel that their 40 ch units expect, so they don't give your signal the same volume (just like the adverts on TV seem to be louder than the programmed show - your signal is the program, theirs is the advert, & there technically isn't any greater volume from the adverts, there's just more noise saturation from them than there is from the programmes so the ads seem louder!) - and the only things they can do are: 1) turn the volume on their 40 ch radios UP; 2) buy a newer 80 ch radio; or 3) turn up their hearing aids &/or live with it!! :p

Try listening to your radio transmission on a small 80 ch handheld if you have one - betcha that it doesn't sound too quiet, even tho it might be barely audible on their 40 ch UHF's! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 7th, 2018, 9:35 am

Thanks Peter,

I will just do that.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”