Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

cbd
Here and there

Re: Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Unread post by cbd » June 17th, 2018, 8:18 am

G'day cuzza
Afraid not but I did get to drive it 3 weeks ago. An old mate has it.
Drove it from brissy to the blue mountains. Picked up small tractor on a car carrier and drove it back. 2 old farts and an old truck. We had a ball. Run it out of fuel. Dodge fuel gauge.
They have a rotary fuel pump, so no bleeding the injectors. One turns the motor over the other pumps thanks pump on the top of the fuel filter, and away she goes. And yes it got a new fuel filter when we got back.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 18th, 2018, 11:31 am

sounds like an adventure!!

Power steering finished on the weekend, lower radiator hose is literally 100mm too short but looks like it would still work with a longer hose. - just a hose and some fluids now and i should be good to go!

Got into the inside of cab with a wire brush and a paint scraper to see how bad the rust was, must grab some pics!

Passenger side was slightly worse than i first thought, the mylar actually came up near the rust, so i started peeling it off where it was wanting to come free, then chased it across the floor pan until it stopped peeling, there was some slight surface rust underneath and a couple of 5-10c piece size holes in the floor - nothing major but glad i peeled the mylar.

Drivers side was much better than i thought, just surface rust and the seam is rusting. Will just be a grinding / sanding back and re-paint at worst.
Then its just some light surface rust on the channel running up both sides near the doors, sand and paint should be sweet.

Rained a bucket load last night, checked it this morning and drivers side had a bit of water sitting in the seam, which looks to be running down firewall. Im almost sure its just a rubber boot now but i need to check it. I could see rust under the cowling / behind the firewall but no idea how to get in there?

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 4th, 2018, 11:03 am

Been a minute!

Had some design training for a week in Perth, and then had to go do a week of work in New Zealand, its a tough life!

Got back into it yesterday and decided to paint the dash so i can re-install it, lots of cleaning panels - lots of surface mould in vents.

Avoided the vinyl paint and went for a plastic primer and normal spray paint for metal / plastic. I went this was as i wanted the same colour on the outside trim, so it means i can use the same paint.

two light / dusty coats of plastic primer and i've got 3 coats of matt black on so far, it is coming up really nice.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 4th, 2018, 11:04 am

third coat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 6th, 2018, 4:29 pm

main part of dash is painted , air vents and steering cover too so i can get the top half back in and forget about it. Its looking the goods, super happy with how its come out and looking forward to sharing a few pics of it installed.

Have picked up a fibreglass based body repair kit to fix the rust in the cab, which i am hoping to get to this weekend but i have a feeling i need to do my doors first so i can prevent water getting into cab - it turns out its not the firewall but coming down the doors, likely due to me ruining the plastic sheet / seal when i put speakers in.

it was then dripping off bottom of door into sill, into floor pan. lesson learned!!
So rust fix doors and seals, then rust fix cab and should be good to start re-lining.

Managed to pickup a set of 4 x good condition black 15x8 steel rims for $80 yesterday which will help to widen the stance a bit more than the current rims, mind you i'll likely need flares now (what was it, for every mod there are 3 more?)
Also got a dual battery isolator which i am supposed to be picking up Sunday., for $25!

Lined up another trip to the same guy i got power steering off tomorrow morning, hoping to get a cup holder and some more interior trim to cover the pillars, and anything else that may be useful.

Winch bar has been touched up, got a stubborn bolt someone is coming to assist with this arvo which has been preventing me from installing it, super keen to get the bar installed!!

Will be back with pictures :)

Mulder030
Here and there

Unread post by Mulder030 » July 9th, 2018, 10:01 am

cuzza_wa wrote:
July 4th, 2018, 11:04 am
third coat
Looking Shmick mate!
Throw some pics up when you get the new rims on!

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 9th, 2018, 10:42 am

Probably be a week or two before the rims go on :)

Got the main / tricky part of the dash back in and the bullbar attached :drink:

rust converter on the metal dash support / steering column / radio mount followed by a coat of clear primer and it came up great, almost shiny again.
Good cleaning a few times with wax and grease remover and put it all back in.

Bullbar was a bit of an effort, mainly due to old bolts again, but its on and secure enough until i get a winch.
(As my recovery hooks are in the chassis the bar isnt doing much for now, so i re-used the old high tensile bolts, but if i put a winch in i dont think im keen to put my faith in some old bolts and risk ripping the bar off.)

CB aerial is sorted, just need to get another radio aerial sorted - have taken the old one out of the body now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 9th, 2018, 10:45 am

more dash

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

and the rims :drink:

now, onto bogging and rust converting the doors and cab ;)

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 16th, 2018, 11:57 am

Not a huge amount of work done but chipping away, also have some good news!

Cleaned up the drivers side inside rail, found a few 5c piece size holes while doing so.
Rust converted (front half took two attempts due to not cleaning up properly.) and a primer so i can now bog (makes it much easier to see when its primed). Did some more interior plastic painting too.

but this is what i really wanted to share - after submitting forms to DoT what must of been months ago they finally replied with approval in principle for the following to be engineered in WA. :drink: i had already been speaking to an engineer and had his approval in principle too, so i think i can see a good way forward.

High steer / hi steer
Front leaf spring dropped hanger and shackle mount relocation
Front shock towers
Rear shackle mount relocation to fit IFS rears without 200mm shackles (illegal in WA)
inverted rear shocks and additional chassis crossmember for shock mounts
Turbo install / intercooler
Gearbox upgrade to R150 / R151
rear disc brake conversion
brake booster upgrade
33's / 35's (not likely for 35's at this stage without axle modifications from speaking to engineer, will see what they approve with gussets - i am not replacing housings at this stage)

Probably a while from completing any of this, but i can at least start to think about mounts and buying bits and bobs for when i can afford to have the chassis welding done. :waycool:

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 16th, 2018, 12:00 pm

the primer and form! :drink:

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 17th, 2018, 3:49 pm

power outage at work yesterday, scored 2 hours to wire up the alpine head unit and clean up the hacked wiring.
This and my CB / UHF is my only direct wired accessory, wasn't sure if i should fuse block it or not?
thinking compressor / amp / etc can come off a fuse block now, keep the fuses somewhere easy to get to in the back.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 17th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Yep, you should fuse or otherwise protect everything electrical, but if you ever go remote then run your UHF CB (& any other potentially life-saving comms radio) direct from the battery on their own fused circuit, not thru an ignition switched fuse block... this means that anyone can call for help if necessary, even if you lose the car key; or it's you they've lost with the car key in your pocket!! :urgh:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » July 18th, 2018, 11:35 am

Thanks Peter, would of never thought of that!! Better switch em over before i tuck it all away ;)

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » August 6th, 2018, 11:03 am

Bit of progress, slowly chipping away over the last few weeks.

Inside of cab is cleaned and rust converted, and spots i had back to metal are primed ready for some white. Ultimately i want to re-paint the entire car one day, but for now i am happy to just be fixing the cancer knowing a re-paint in the future will be a lot easier, so the re-paints been added to the "want-list".

Rear doors off, rust converted and bogged the bottom of one door (one was quite bad, the other not so)
Another few coats of bog and some paint and onto front doors and fender panels

Pretty much all the interior plastic is now done, plus knocked up a top tier compartment for the center console, bit similar to the factory surf ones that the wreckers were trying to sting me and arm and a leg for! :drink:

Hoping to order soundproofing next week, carpet and re-fitting shouldn't be too far away from that.

Also got some new 2'' lifted leaf springs - fella in Perth area had been stickered for lift and wanted some stock springs, so i swapped him my old spares i had in the shed, have gone next to the rims for fitting sometime in the future. This might change how i wanted to set the car up but will see.

Return to “Tourers”