Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 28th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Unless you are doing a 'full body off chassis naked on the rotisserie' style body restoration, I wouldn't go peeling back any of the 'stuck on' material unless there are indications that there's rust under there. Bubbles in the surface cover, chrunchy noises when you poke it, or metal flakes & bubbles appearing on the other side type indications. Pulling all that 'stuck on' material off is likely to be simply making a shed load more work for yourself - sure, if there's rust there, you can fix it once you'ce cleaned it all back.... (or cut the whole bleedin panel out!!) but if there isn't any indication of rust, it's almost as hard to pull all that stuff off, discover there's no rust, then hafta clean it back & make good all those areas you've exposed before you can do anything else as if there WAS rust there!! But for the 'lesser restoration' than the entire body shell resto that you seem to be planning, save your time & effort & only dig deeper if there's a reason to do so! ;)

You can put dynamat or similar heat/sound deadeners on over the top of that black stuck on stuff just so long as the surface is relatively clean & dry; and most of those spots that have that stuff stuck to them aren't really all that likely to have 'hidden rust' there - if they've got the red cancer, you'll be able to tell fairly readily!! But if they are solid, no bubbles, no soft or chrunchy spots, no big flexing sections, there's probably not much to worry about! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 28th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Music to my ears Peter, again thank you!

I wasn't looking forward to peeling it off after watching a few videos. .....I think between the top of the black stuff and the underside of body i should have a good gauge on how bad things are with what you have said

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 29th, 2018, 11:09 am

brief window of no wife or child when i got home last night, and not one to waste a chance, started pulling the inside out before it got dark.
Just the dash and heater stuff to get out now, as well as the rear vinyl and trims, then headliner and doors / front panels.

and some pictures of the red stuff......"seems" to be around the drain plugs right next to chassis mounts. Passenger is far worse than drivers, once i get a chance to clean it up i should be able to see what i'll need to do to repair it, but it doesn't look too structural as long as it hasn't got into the body mount........i hope! The back half of the car aside from bottom of rear doors looks mint.

Also off to see a man about a power steering setup this arvo :drink: :waycool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 31st, 2018, 6:04 pm

my steering box is coming out today, and i scored a full power steering set-up and a comp style winch bar for $250 (just have to exchange my manual steering box for it). Ticks the "budget" box!

Will try get some snaps of the install over the weekend :D

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 6th, 2018, 10:49 am

pics as promised

What a mammoth bloody effort :boggle: ..........
Ended up taking far longer than I expected due to bolts for bullbar spinning off in donor car chassis, and car was not near power.
4 hours Saturday sorting my box and getting donor box out, was back there for another 5 hours Monday with my generator and a grinder cutting bolts off, and swapping pump brackets over.... fun!

I also did not realize the steering pump bolts to a bracket which is part of the engine mount.......so after I got it out of the donor, I had to race home, get my bracket out, and put it back in the donor (car is being sold for the motor). Handbrake was slightly ropable Monday night :lol:

Got there in the end though, scored the power steering kit for $150 and the bar for $100.

Also a few more progress pics of the cabin tear down. :drink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cuzza_wa on June 6th, 2018, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 6th, 2018, 10:50 am

sorry about the order of pics

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 6th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Some good progress there cuzza! :thumb: And some good pics to go with it all! Keep on keeping on! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 6th, 2018, 6:00 pm

yeah keeping the handbrake happy is now getting tricky haha

Few more of the inside - power in town was out all of yesterday so didn't have to go to work!

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » June 6th, 2018, 7:41 pm

G'day Cuzza
The term "some assembly required " comes to mind.....

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 7th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Not wrong cbd, i am a bit nervous about remembering where it all goes, but have a few people to call on if i need an assembled model :) its scary to think how many cars i have seen get to this point and then rot away in a garage in bits, i do not want to be another one!

Once i clean up under there, ill check heater core (do they have a cab filter?), replace and re-paint what needs re-doing, soundproof the firewall and re-assemble so i'm not stuck trying to recall what went where 4 weeks later. (or replacing a heater core 2 months into winter)

Cluster i looked at swapping but for an extra oil pressure and volt meter, and hassle of changing odo etc it didnt seem worth it, i can pour that coin into a multi gauge unit and have more than an extra two gauges.

think a few coats of paint might be on the cards for the dash to delete the toyota blue too :D

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » June 7th, 2018, 6:56 pm

G'day Cuzza
I love Mobile phone pics, take heaps cause they are cheap and more trustworthy than my memory.....
Cheers

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 11th, 2018, 1:07 pm

they are indeed! would be completely up the creek without a proverbial paddle if it wasn't for phone pics :)

Wrestled with my power steering yesterday, air con was a major pain in the backside.
Got engine mount / pump/ steering box in , it started bucketing down halfway through doing engine mounts, so i got most of it done up and called it a day (by this stage i was well and truly soaked through)

Radiator lower hose got in the way, hoping to fix this with a flexible gates hose or similar and a hose mount to the side.

Checked the inside of the cab too after rain, bottom of doors wet, and some water coming down foot well but bottom of windscreen window sill is dry ???
Got me semi perplexed at this stage, but i have a strong feeling its where i had removed steering shaft / or a combination of that and old perished grommets in firewall letting water in, as i had bonnet up when it was raining.

So this week is just getting the steering back in, solving my radiator hose issue, trying to suss out the leaks and hopefully some cleaning inside the cab and painting of interior trim.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » June 12th, 2018, 9:12 pm

G'day Cuzza
I had a 1995 2.8 with power steering. ***** of a radiator set up.
On the passenger side a quik right hand metal bend in the bottom of the radiator. This then cleared the power pump belt. A short rubber bend then a metal pipe up the side of the radiator connected to a rubber hose at the top.
I'd be checking out the doner truck for the radiator as well. Even if it's ***** you could keep the bottom and top tanks and recore.
cB

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Cheers CBD.

Had a good look at the system in the car when i got the pump out (getting the pulleys off i saw it for a while cos it was in my way, my knuckles saw it a few times too! ....), it is a weird setup to run the pipe like that for sure.

as you can get replacement radiators for each type in various configurations now i might go the route of solving this as my radiator is ok, but in saying that, its entirely possible i end up going and swapping the lot out as you mentioned if it becomes bigger than Ben Hur to source piping

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » June 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

got any pics of your old beast mate?

Return to “Tourers”