Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 30th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Haven't had the 'go ahead' for new pics yet Cuz, but they were neck deep into sorting it last week - so maybe soon..... :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 8th, 2018, 10:18 am

Yay! Pics :)

Few of the rocker and some painting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 8th, 2018, 10:19 am

Few one of the other members took at the 4x4 trip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 8th, 2018, 10:29 am

gotta snap a few pics of the finished breathers, no pics of timing belt / water pump but a documented pic of my parts for my own records (i imagine this is a great recording place!)
Just painting everything if it comes off now, truck is starting to look much better, even a fresh coat on the draglink makes it look a touch neater.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 8th, 2018, 10:30 am

:ooh:

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 16th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Need to grab some pics of these breathers!

In other news........finally got hold of an engineer willing (in theory) to approve mods i want to undertake.
Mostly relating to putting surf parts in, but also addressing relocated shock towers and rear inverted shocks, tyres, brake upgrade, etc. VBS14 is making more sense.........not that i agree with it all.

anyway, fingers crossed :drink: :frog:

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 17th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Bring it on. Sounds all pretty awesome

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Yeah getting there slowly i think, i do apologize its just been repairs to this point :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 23rd, 2018, 2:01 pm

Repairs are good!! They all help add up to the vehicle's capability in the long run!! And you gotta admit, that while it might 'strictly' be called 'a repair', putting an Xtreme Outback clutch in there is a pretty significant improvement/modification over stock! Especially if you went for the higher clamping force & the HD organic clutch (the ceramic disc stuff might be fine for comp or race vehicles, but it's not always so great for serious off road use! :petrified: ) ;)

So there's no need to apologise, just keep on with it all, and please, keep the pics coming! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » May 23rd, 2018, 7:51 pm

G'day cuzza
My mate has my old 2.8 diesel 1995 hilux 2 w drive. Same as yours it's got the grey gaffa tape over the air intake hose. Lots of tape. Years of accumulated tape.
It's due to do a journey and I'm wondering if you have "fix".
Thanks

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 24th, 2018, 10:42 am

Thanks Peter.

CDB - i'm thinking some fresh tape couldn't go astray?

In all seriousness, the gaffa tape seems to hold up fine, just check it before trips / when you refuel.
My hose completely split when i was faffing about so i put about half a roll on it, bit like a bandage, holding up fine so far. (i've put at least 1000km's on it)

This will get replaced at some stage when i change airbox or move it for that 2nd battery i never got around to!

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 24th, 2018, 10:46 am

Also wouldnt hurt to remove all the old tape before you put the new stuff on :)

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 24th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Few snaps from another 4x4 club trip on Sunday .
Really enjoying the club trips, getting the confidence up and getting familiar with the car knowing i have people to help if it goes pear shaped.

Almost got bogged coming off the beach you see the cars parked in, 3rd time and a bit of extra right boot did the trick.

The rear end is screwing when i'm turning on rocks and sand (its locking up) , i thought the toyota LSD's were no good so i am wondering if mine has maybe been re-shimmed?
Or do they have a tendency to work when they are not under too much load?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 24th, 2018, 6:53 pm

cuzza_wa wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 5:35 pm
The rear end is screwing when i'm turning on rocks and sand (its locking up) , i thought the toyota LSD's were no good so i am wondering if mine has maybe been re-shimmed?
Or do they have a tendency to work when they are not under too much load?
Great snaps!! Making me jealous (again! :p )

As for the rear LSD, lotsa people do fork out for re-shimming once their Tojo LSD has gone off, only to find it isn't working again in a relatively short while!! So save your pennies & don't bother with re-shimming - even if you only put it back to what it was, it'll likely be pretty much useless as an LSD within about 40,000 km; re-shim it any tighter than stock, & it'll just make it become useless sooner!! :petrified:

And yeah, as they go off, they tend to progressively work backwards thru the load it takes to activate them; and even a virtually dead Toyota LSD will seem to work OK when both wheels are off the ground & there's virtually no load on either wheel!! Won't work as an LSD at any other time, but on a hoist you'd swear it was OK!! :purplex:

So save those pennies for a new Detroit Locker to go up the back & once it's installed, the only time you'll ever look back is to see where everyone else got stuck!! No more impact on your daily driving than a good LSD, but a helluva lot more traction & drive all the time!! :D

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » May 28th, 2018, 11:20 am

Thanks for the info mate, always learning!
yeah an autolocker for the front (and back) is on the cards for sure. The prices are getting SO much better for them. - a selectable one would be ideal in the front but will see how much cashola i have when the time comes, it is a budget build after all :D

Started to pull out the interior to remove some rattles and re-insulate / sound proof the cab (and remove the smelly vinyl underlay) and have found some rust spots in the outside corners of the front foot well, and some up the door rails and bottom of doors which i never noticed before. Started peeling rubber back in places around windows and also found a few hidden spots. BLOODY RUST!

So a bit sooner than i thought, but will be parking it up tonight to get stuck into restoring the body.
Doors off, possibly windows and seals out, seats out, dash out.......time to do it properly.
Going to fix the rust, re-paint and sound proof the cab and re-do door trims / headliner and likely touch the dash up, and a few other tid bits that will make it a bit more comfortable.

Pans seem to be ok, all around front seats ok, but i cannot see under the mylar or whatever is stuck on there.
Is it worth pulling this stuff off and re-doing it with dynamat or similar? Would be nice to have peace of mind there is no rust under there.

Return to “Tourers”