RG Colorado 7 - install Harrop elocker front or back?

rj1952
Getting to know the place

RG Colorado 7 - install Harrop elocker front or back?

Unread post by rj1952 » January 6th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Before anyone responds I need to explain the most likely use of my C7.
I mostly tow a 1.8 tonne Camper-trailer and have taken it off-road quite a bit, but mostly on formed gravel e.g Diamentina National Park, Blackdown Tableland NP; Bloomfield Track; Fraser Island, Flinders Ranges, Lake Eyre, Birdsville, etc.

Goog's Track in SA and the Simpson Dessert were done with a tent.

Proposed trips vary from the Alpine area of Victoria and Brisbane to Sydney off-road (Pat Callinan's route) to Lawn Hill and Gibb River Road, etc,etc.

The C7 has a rear LSD, but I really don't know how good it is. My mind says install on the rear for value when towing in difficult terrain, but put it on the front to get the greatest extension of the C7's capability in rocky and muddy settings and hope the LSD is good enough at the back.
I have a 108 litre auxillary tank under the back, (replaced the spare tyre,) and protective plates at front, as well as a steel bullbar, so even with a 40 mm lift, clearance isn't fantastic on the 16 inch diameter tyres.
Over the French Line I had to take a fairly fast approach to most dunes, and ended up bouncing to such a degree that my protective plates had kilo grams of red sand/mud caught on top when I removed them on getting back to Adelaide - and Pedders found no issues with my Tough Dog shockers and coils. I imagine a rear locker might make that sort of dune climbing a gentler exercise.
Any thoughts or direct experience ?
It's nicer to say something helpful

TimJim
Here and there

Re: RG Colorado 7 - install Harrop elocker front or back?

Unread post by TimJim » January 8th, 2016, 1:39 pm

I'm considering the same thing at the moment. I'm leaning towards front locker eLocker as GM uses the Eaton TruTrac in the rear which is a fairly popular LSD. The TruTrac is often put in by modders not wanting the full locker.

So far it has performed admirably and I'm a little weary of giving up the LSD for my mostly daily driver. My other justification is that the front is generally going to have the most contact (with the engine weight) or one wheel cocked (with the IFS).

The issue that does arise with the front locker is it's habit of making the steering very heavy and being somewhat unusable in downhill... however I'd only be using mine in a real slippery/sandy situation or relying on the downhill decent control.

That's my current approach on it.

TimJim

rj1952
Getting to know the place

Unread post by rj1952 » January 11th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Go for it TimJim!
I was quoted just under $2500 by my local Opposite Lock to install the rear, (including new bearings,) when they restock in February. The fitter, (Jim,) mentioned that front lockers are more complex, and so I would think you will be up for over $2500. I am sticking to the rear because I think that will be of more use to me when towing off-road.
Hope you go ahead also, because it would be good to compare experiences .. who knows, you may pull me out of trouble one day :)
This is my third effort at responding to you, because all my 'Post Reply' s done on my Samsung tablet, have caused some sort of SQL error .. whatever that is. Here's hoping this goes through from my Windows 10 laptop.
All the best.
It's nicer to say something helpful

Lewy88
Here and there

Unread post by Lewy88 » January 6th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Hey guys, how did you go with this? I have a 2016 C7 and am looking at putting a Harrop Elocker in the rear.

Any feedback from your experience?

Cheers,
Lewy

Return to “Colorado”