Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

The new ute
JC807
Been here a while
Posts: 202
Joined: December 18th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by JC807 » September 14th, 2014, 8:46 pm

i've put QFM 4wd pads in mine as I carry half a tonne usually, this has improved the braking somewhat. Not sure about their effect on rotor life but that doesn't concern me.
previous:-> 06 BF XR6T, 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 08 VOLVO V50 T5 AWD, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX 4X4

nra303
Here and there
Posts: 92
Joined: May 27th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by nra303 » September 15th, 2014, 2:05 pm

The shudder I am getting feels like the drive train or gear box, not from braking. Will mention it when I talk to them.

mydmax
Need to get out more
Posts: 5384
Joined: August 4th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by mydmax » September 15th, 2014, 4:05 pm

nra303
if you have shudder from pulling up then it is quite possibly the torque effect on the centrre bearing rubber mount caused by tailshaft driveline angle being to large or the diff housing is rotating downwards ie pinion flange wound lower to ground, while decelleration torque is being applied.
Either way it sound like a tailshaft uni angle problem.

If that IS NOT the issue then the feeling may be brake discs are thicker and thinner in spots causing fluctuation braking friction. That will also be felt in the brake pedal though.

With engine stopped and slightly touching the brake, (wheels off deck) rotation by hand may detect intermittent retardation of the wheel. Can also be done by applying the handbrake and turning the rear wheels.

I don't like your chances of them finding it, because they don't have incentive to find it and maybe not the skill level either, good at selling them though.

nra303
Here and there
Posts: 92
Joined: May 27th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by nra303 » September 15th, 2014, 4:27 pm

thanks mydmax, talking with someone about it today to see if they can detect it when driving it as well. It's definitely something in the drive train, not feeling anything in the brakes. New unit so no mods to anything. What you describe could well be it. We will try that out and see.

When talking about it the question of flywheel came up and something about the drive shaft being balanced in a way that it needs bolting up in a particular orientation. 2nd opinion on the shudder being there first then we will look into it.

Rexxpro
Been here a while
Posts: 327
Joined: October 3rd, 2009, 8:31 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Rexxpro » September 15th, 2014, 5:45 pm

How do you turn the mic down for the bluetooth?

Also what is the shift lock button for? Or how does it work?

Thanks

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1032
Joined: August 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm
Location: Gelorup, WA

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Sir Snagger » September 18th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Can anyone with young kids or babies tell me how well they find their baby capsule fits in the rear of the new D-max's? We're looking to buy a D-Max or MU-X next year and my wifes main concern with the D-Max at the moment is that if you have a baby capsule in the back seat, the front seat will need to be too upright or too far forward for the front passenger to be comfortable.

If this isn't an issue and there is plenty of room that is great, but recently saw a friend with her baby capsule in her triton (not the latest model) and it impeded on the front seat space leaving the front passenger in a very upright position with little leg room.

elso84
Here and there
Posts: 20
Joined: May 13th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by elso84 » September 19th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Gday sir snagger, ive got a 2013 dmax and no issues with a car seat, plenty of room for front passenger, although my 18 month old son prefers to hav his seat in the middle now so he can see what's goin on haha. We are also expecting another one in a month so when I get home from work next week I will chuck our capsule in and let you know how it goes for space, I cant see it being a problem but will fill u in on the details. Cheers.

Elso

B-Max
Here and there
Posts: 69
Joined: November 10th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by B-Max » September 20th, 2014, 8:39 am

Well and truly past the time of needing these ( :) ) but one thing I like about my D-Max is the driver leg room. This is the first car I can remember having where I need to have the seat forward a bit - all other I have struggle to have enough legroom with the seat right back.

I have also sat in the back with the front seat all the way back and there is still enough room for my long legs.

Rexxpro
Been here a while
Posts: 327
Joined: October 3rd, 2009, 8:31 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Rexxpro » September 20th, 2014, 8:48 am

Rexxpro wrote:How do you turn the mic down for the bluetooth?

Also what is the shift lock button for? Or how does it work?

Thanks
Can only turn mic down when in a phone call.

shift lock button is to get it out of gear when key not in.

Sir Snagger
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1032
Joined: August 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm
Location: Gelorup, WA

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Sir Snagger » September 21st, 2014, 1:54 pm

elso84 wrote:Gday sir snagger, ive got a 2013 dmax and no issues with a car seat, plenty of room for front passenger, although my 18 month old son prefers to hav his seat in the middle now so he can see what's goin on haha. We are also expecting another one in a month so when I get home from work next week I will chuck our capsule in and let you know how it goes for space, I cant see it being a problem but will fill u in on the details. Cheers.

Elso
Thanks mate. It's appreciated.
B-Max wrote:Well and truly past the time of needing these ( :) ) but one thing I like about my D-Max is the driver leg room. This is the first car I can remember having where I need to have the seat forward a bit - all other I have struggle to have enough legroom with the seat right back.

I have also sat in the back with the front seat all the way back and there is still enough room for my long legs.
I remember doing the same thing when I looked at one a while ago. Not many cars where I need to pull the seat forward in (although my wifes suzuki swift is one that I need to do it in too! Quite roomy in the front).

heps
Getting to know the place
Posts: 16
Joined: April 14th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by heps » September 30th, 2014, 1:19 pm

I have just read this entire thread and very informative, thanks to all.. I currently own a 2010 Triton and looking to purchase possibly a DMAX dual cab, I have only ever owned manuals but am looking towards an auto this time around, the thread revealed no real problems thus far with autos...I read in the car advice site they have reviews on the new DMAX obviously and they say the big down side is performance in soft sand.
Now owning the Triton you have to turn stability control off and things are much improved, in the review it states they turned the traction control (not sure if this means stability control) and things were still retarded by the electronics, any feed back here guys as im from WA and 90% of our 4wding over here is sand and so far this is the only thing I can find wrong, let me know if this is incorrect and like my Triton you can turn the stability control off and drive in the sand with no dramas (yes with tyre pressure down).

Am I coming over to the land of Isuzu or not....

Dmaxqld
Been here a while
Posts: 364
Joined: November 28th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Dmaxqld » September 30th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Towed a camper trailer across the Simpson without an issue in my auto dual cab 2013 Dmax. The Aisin 5 speed auto box is brilliant and bullet proof.

Abe DMAX
Here and there
Posts: 33
Joined: November 7th, 2012, 10:43 am

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Abe DMAX » October 6th, 2014, 1:04 pm

heps wrote:I read in the car advice site they have reviews on the new DMAX obviously and they say the big down side is performance in soft sand.
Now owning the Triton you have to turn stability control off and things are much improved, in the review it states they turned the traction control (not sure if this means stability control) and things were still retarded by the electronics, any feed back here guys as im from WA and 90% of our 4wding over here is sand and so far this is the only thing I can find wrong, let me know if this is incorrect and like my Triton you can turn the stability control off and drive in the sand with no dramas (yes with tyre pressure down).

Am I coming over to the land of Isuzu or not....
You push and hold the TCS/ESC button down until both are disengaged, then away you go. I've had mine in some pretty soft stuff over the last two years of ownership, and the only reason I have been bogged is due to rookie mistakes, now I have a bit of a clue, the going is easy.

Can't say enough how happy we are with choosing a D-Max, it hasn't missed a beat.

Rexxpro
Been here a while
Posts: 327
Joined: October 3rd, 2009, 8:31 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Rexxpro » October 11th, 2014, 12:33 am

Has anyone else experienced a constant squeak from centre console?

It sounded like rubbing hand on inflated balloon.

Took it to John McGrath ford / Isuzu for warranty repairs and what a nightmare. Turned out the clips lost tension. In the mean time they broke my heater heat control. At the same time, I got the 3000klm service / check done and after I found out brake fluid not on max level. Oops they didn't check that.

Another issue I have had is the rear lfs door is harder to close than the rest. 80-90% of the time it only closes to first click and needs to be shut firmer. Annoying as car won't lock until all doors are fully closed. Meant to have been fixed (they lubricated the lock) but it did nothing.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while
Posts: 364
Joined: November 28th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Dmaxqld » October 12th, 2014, 10:10 am

Sorry to hear you got poor service from your dealer. Hope they resolve your issues for you.

Return to “DMax”