Post copyrighted material and YOU WILL BE BANNED!

Keep up to date with Forum happenings & check out the Forum Rules & Guidelines
Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » March 31st, 2008, 9:40 pm

Land mines here.......OOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO
The Mother Ship Lands on December 21 in a town near you

diehard

Unread post by diehard » March 31st, 2008, 9:49 pm

nilla60 wrote:Sweet... Is there a URL?
Contact festy via PM. They are discussed on a dedicated GPS forum, but i'm unsure which one.

This forum doesnt support torrent based file sharing, as the copyright issues are too great a risk.
[font=Arial Black][b][url=http://www.angrymanphotography.com.au]www.angrymanphotography.com.au[/url][/b][/font]

[font=Arial Black][b][url=https://www.facebook.com/angrymanphotography]Angryman Facebook[/url][/b][/font]

It's what i do

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » March 31st, 2008, 10:17 pm

Hmmm.... Plenty of scope for completely legitimate enthusiast created maps ([url=http://openstreemap.org%29]http://openstreetmap.org)[/url]. But also plenty of pitfalls for the unwary who don't know all the copyright landmines. For example, tracing published maps is still considered copyright infringement (even if the copyright is retained by the Commonwealth). Unfortunately I can't see more without signing up for the GPSAu forums.

OpenStreetmap is getting better at its Australian coverage, but non-metro coverage is still pretty patchy.

Having compiled a 100k map sheet or three (not for topo though), I can tell you it takes a lot of diesel.

Courts InSession
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Courts InSession » July 25th, 2008, 2:24 am

Fair call I guess, slightly amusing that this thread has turned into a chat :D

I noticed one of my threads has vanished so I am sorry if any trouble has been caused for the forum, in this day and age you can never be too careful. Internet forums have definately come under fire for slander/copyright type infringements.

We all have different morals I guess, mine personally I can't handle paying for something I know I can download if I troll enough torrent sites :D

Happy gpsing lads.
2002 Hilux Dual Cab - TJM Steel Bullbar - 31" Wrangler MTR's - Lightforce 240's - Redarc Dual Batts, DIY Roof Console, Fridge Slide & Drawers - ARB Canopy - Safari Snorkel - Rhino Racks

chuckybear
Part of the furniture

Unread post by chuckybear » February 12th, 2009, 5:16 pm

I find the fact that the forum would hand over what some call private details to a third party disturbing.
Even more so that there seems to be no privacy statement that states in what circumstances this will happen.
How far does this extend?
If someone copyrights there own photo displays it and it is quoted will these details be released? After all, by the letter of the law, you have broken copyright laws.
What about links to newpapers etc where people cut and paste news articles, all these by the letter of the law break copyright.
I think more thought, and clear terms need to be given, not just a broad "Message from god and I will smit you!!" sort of thread.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that people write links etc, all they need to say is what it is and people can google it, or even just pm the other person and get the link emailed.

PS you had better not quote this as it might be copyrighted:)

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » February 12th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Did you check out the very bottom line of every page on this website/Forum?? Where it says & has links to things like...

COPYRIGHT © 2012 | Express Media Group | Privacy policy | Publish Consent | Terms & Conditions

Public and private organisation privacy laws are different, government needs to comply with a much stricter set of rules, the private sector rules are pretty minimal in comparision. The Privacy Act is being revised and soon everyone will need to abide by "Uniform Privacy Principles" (UPPs) that will set how private data may be used.

The people running this forum need to balance obligations to maintain copyright and privacy. They can't give clear terms. Like the examples you give, copyright includes fair use provisions. Fair use is a judgement and as such each circumstance is a little bit different. Thats the way the world is.

P.S. Though a bit broad in wording, I thought the intent of Brendan's subject line was pretty clear based on the circumstances it was posted.
Last edited by Peter Aawen on May 12th, 2014, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated bottom line details...

Brendan
4WD Action Staff

Unread post by Brendan » February 25th, 2009, 3:48 pm

chuckybear wrote:I find the fact that the forum would hand over what some call private details to a third party disturbing.
Some would find it disturbing that people are out to willingly steal from the very companies that develop products specifically for our industry!

What I said first off still stands, and I thank everyone for sticking to that rule.

(thread closed)
Brendan Seymour - Editor
4WD Action

94 4Runner; Lexus V8, 33in MTZs, barwork, lights, locked, etc
72 Rangie; 351, C4, 37s, gearing, GQ diffs, Air Lockers, chopped.

Return to “Forum Rules, Guidelines, News, and Updates”