Towing a lighter car / Recovery

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
MUXer
I'm new, be nice!

Towing a lighter car / Recovery

Unread post by MUXer » July 22nd, 2018, 5:59 pm

Hi all,

I am new to 4WDing and i have watched a number of videos on how to safely recover a 4WD using a snatch strap. I understand you use this to recover a vehicle that might be bogged in sand/mud. However, i was wondering what if i bump into someone who's car/4wd might have broken down and perhaps they simply need a straight tow up a hill or something to safety. Is there a strap that exists which i can hook to my rear recovery hitch, and to the car's tow points and pull them up the hill? I guess i'm asking if there is a tow strap that doesn't have the elasticity which could be used for normal towing?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Towing a lighter car / Recovery

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 22nd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Hi MUXer, welcome to the Forum! :thumb:

All the drag chains, straps for winching, & snatch straps etc are made specifically for 'recovery', and they aren't really suitable for 'towing' except in an emergency - similarly with 'recovery' points... they just aren't made for towing!!

If you need to "straight tow" or 'flat tow' a vehicle, even if it's just to the top of the hill, then you should use a Tow Rope (available from almost any servo or auto parts outlet) or a specifically designed & made 'Towing Bar' or an 'A' frame towing rig. The 'A' frame you probably know, but most vehicles don't have them these days, while a Towing Bar is effectively a steel pole with a tow hitch on the front end to go on your tow bar & a securing rig on the towed end, which usually has a hitch to secure solidly onto the tow points, chassis, sub frame, or even solid front axle, as well as a security chain that makes sure the towed vehicle can't break loose from the rigging & which means the towing car can do all the pulling & braking & driving things without dragging an expensive recovery strap (or a cheap one!) or a drag chain on the road or over rocks etc, &/or get gouged or torn or run over or otherwise damaged; but generally, if you are only going to 'tow' something every now & then, the tow rope is a relatively cheap & easy part to buy & carry & it'll be more'n adequate to the odd occasion it mightbe needed!!

But you really DON'T want to use recovery gear for towing, cos if you do, there's a good chance it'll be compromised and as a result, it could kill someone next time you use it in a 'real' recovery, so if you DO use recovery gear in a flat tow of any distance for whatever reason, then once the job's done, you should retire it &/or use it as a wall ornament, cos without expensive testing, you can't ever be sure it's going to be safe for recoveries again!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Scantek
Been here a while

Re: Towing a lighter car / Recovery

Unread post by Scantek » July 22nd, 2018, 11:08 pm

Hi
I have a stock of various old slings of various WLL's that I have acquired over the years. They are not suitable or rated for lifting any more but they are quite ok for towing etc.
Normally these are inspected and if deemed US then they get cut in half and destroyed.
If you can find a business that uses lifting gear you may be able to get any of their damaged gear for a couple of bucks or even free.
Don't pay too much for slings as they are not that expensive to buy new and are really just consumables these day's.

Cheers
Russ

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”