I'm getting Great support for my Foton Tunland!

If you've got model specific Tech questions &/or answers but you're not covered elsewhere, put them in here!
Scantek
Been here a while

I'm getting Great support for my Foton Tunland!

Unread post by Scantek » August 11th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Hi guys
Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased a 4x4 dual cab.
First impression was great car for the price and fun to drive.
Within the first week it developed a flat spot/miss fire on take off from a standing start between 1000rpm and 2000rpm. The Check engine light would come on intermittently. I contacted the dealer I brought it from to have these issues addressed.

They rang me soon after and we aranged a time as we live 450km away.
We dropped the car in as arranged and the issues were rectified there and then.
Apparently there was a computer upgrade that needed to be done which only took a couple of hours.

I am very impressed with the dealership and their service division and I would recommend them if anyone in WA is looking at Foton Tunland.

Well done Perth Motorsport Kenwick

Scantek
Been here a while

Re: I'm getting Great support for my Foton Tunland!

Unread post by Scantek » August 8th, 2017, 9:18 am

Ok
Has been a while since I have adding to this thread.
First of all I have been having some issues with throttle hesitation and a clutch that slips under load in hot weather - winter, no clutch problem.
I have been back to the dealer many times to try and have these issues resolved but every time they seem to be fixed they rear their ugly head again.
I'm told there is another CPU update coming from Cummins that may resolve the throttle hesitation but from my research this issue is wide spread not only with Fotons but with all fly by wire throttles.
I have spoken to the dealer and a supplier of a little device called a throttle booster. It plugs in behind the accelerator and the harness and is fully adjustable.
They work with all fly by wire systems.
From what I have been told these will fix the problem. I am going to wait to see if the new ECU update resolves the issue; if not I am going to try one of these out.
To fix the problem $480.00 seems a bit rich but it costs me that much every time I have to go to the dealer from home.

Has anyone tried one of these on any vehicle and what is your opinion?

Russ

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 8th, 2017, 5:57 pm

A computer upgrade should take about 2 seconds. The time it takes is to put the plug into the OBD port and remove it. 2 hours is rubbish. All it is, is a reflash of the ECU memory map.

Throttle lag may be the time it takes for the ECU to tell the vane controller on the turbo to change it's position. I would be very hesitant to buy a throttle device. All they do is electronically slam the throttle open and not continue with it unless you have pushed to the floor. A bit like a sudden fire hose but have to reduce it because you are only filling a bucket.

It is not accurate to say ALL flyby wire throttles are the same. I have never noticed hesitation with the Dmax.

A clutch which slips in hot weather and not in cold seems odd. Is there slack in the pedal push rod when the pedal is released? If the rod DOES NOT move freely slightly, then the adjustment is wrong as it must have a slight amount. WHen cold the firewall and stuff is cool, when hot, all the mechanism and fluid expands and makes the clutch slightly pressed in because the fluid expansion is trapped in the system instead of the MC primary port being allowed to open when the pedal is not being pressed. If that is the problem then the dealer can't diagnose the exit to a paper bag.

I would be asking Cummins directly if there is a fix and when it is arriving. Dealers do not reliably relay any info to customers of any brand of vehicle.

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » August 8th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Hi mydmax
Yes I know it only takes a couple of seconds to do the update.
Sorry my mistake saying all FBW are the same. Some are worse than others. My old 2007 ranger had no problem. However I would like to try a booster before buying it just to see if it does make any difference but not until the update has been done. When the dealer had the car last time they couldn't get it to hesitate. The service manager took it home that night and in the morning it did it to him and almost caused an accident so they had it for a whole week trying to find the problem. They checked everything and it was better for a while but then the problem returned. The thing is when it happens it doesn't show a fault code.
The boosters are fully adjustable. In race mode yes they do just slam the throttle open and that is not what I want. If thats all does then its a useless piece of equipment in my opinion.
But lets see what Foton/Cummins come up with. I know I'm not the only one having this problem.
As for the clutch, yes I have had the clutch re adjusted several times. First by the dealer Who adjusted it up so no play at the top and it slipped almost immediately. My mechanic backed it off till it had about 25mm of free play at the top and after a short time it slipped again. So last time I had it in at the dealer they backed it off more. So far it hasn't slipped but I'm waiting for summer thats when it happens. As soon as we get a day in mid 30's.

The clutch setup is something I have never come across in 50 years. It uses the same fluid resevior as the brake system and it is vacuum assisted. I've seen hydraulic clutch systems and cable clutch systems but never a setup like these.

Any how thanks for the input. I'll keep this tread updated when I get more info

cheers

Russ

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 8th, 2017, 10:50 pm

The problem with the clutch could be the master cylinder itself. Unless the piston is free to completely withdraw and return to the circlip at the rear of the cylinder it will hold the piston in slighlty. If that is the case, no amount of pedal free play or clutch adjustments underneath will do anything to fix it.
Most mechanics cannot diagnose that. It doesn't enter their heads. Corrosion or scum or a bit of rubber from the rubber boot at the back will do it.

Re the pedal unit. They all electronically open the throttle fully until it detects where you have caught up with the pedal. It simply TURNS ON the tap quicker than your foot can do it.
The problem may be a poor connection in the loom wiring or plug to the throttle unit. Also the earth lug for the earth (neg) connection could be a poor contact and sometimes it is ok and other times it isn't. The throttle system relies on two resistors which rise in their Ohms reading and one which is high Ohms and goes lower when the throttle pedal is depressed. The ECU averages the, two up, and one down, to determine where the pedal has been pushed to.

I know of a fault like that in D40 Navara's which totally shut down the engine. Left a while it was ok.

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » September 20th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Hi everyone
Just an update from a thread I have on another site reguarding a couple of Foton Tunland problems I have been having.

Someone has posted that the latest CPU update from Cummins has fixed the flat spot a lot of people have been reporting. So this maybe finally sorted.
Next trip to Perth and we will see....

Had a warm day this week and clutch slipped again.
Dealer keeps adjusting it but that isn't fixing that problem.

Might have to get one of John Cadogan's "King Dick's" show the dealer
!!!! hahaha

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » November 3rd, 2017, 10:24 am

Hi all
Just another update
I have not had the oppertunity to get the ECU update done yet as the dealership is the only place I can have that done.
Going to get the TPMS disconnected also. If the perameters could be modified and that sodding alarm turned off after say 30 sec would be good. All I want with that is to see what the pressures are. I'll decide myself what I want to run in my tyres not the TPMS.....

Now the clutch issue.
First hot day it slipped again. I drove it straight to the service center and the mechanic took it for a drive. He agreed yes it is slipping and very badly. it will need changing and possibly the flywheel machined as well. Just waiting for the OK from Foton to agree and get parts.
Funny thing is that when its cold I have about 40mm of free play on the pedal before it gets hard but when it gets hot, no free play at the pedal at all.

Note:
I did say Service Center". Foton are apparently doing a nation wide deal with a company to do all their warrantee and service work where there are no dealers. I've been waiting 4 weeks now for this agreement to come off so I can finally get these issues sorted but gears do turn slowly. I won't say who the business is I'll leave that to others or until its official.

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » March 3rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

Hi all

Well finally some good news

The clutch system was replaced from the clutch pedal to the main seal.
They have completely done away with the vacuum assist system and gone to a straight manual hydraulic system. It feels very different but a definate improvement over the OEM system
It feels very positive and strong. No sign of any slip.

This has been an ongoing problem for the last 10 to 12 months but finally it has been sorted.
Because there is no dealership close, Foton have contracted the Ultra Tune franchises to do their warrantee work where needed.

I have to say that the customer service of Ultra Tune Geraldton is first class. They went over and above keeping me informed over the last months while they were trying to deal with Foton and the Foton dealership in Perth. If I could score Ultra Tune Geraldton 20/10 I would. If this is how Ultra Tune support their customers I can see why they are so successful.

If I was to score the Foton dealership service department customer service in Perth 1/10. Staff are nice to deal with but if you have a problem that needs to be fixed...Forget it!!!!

All I have to do now is get the ECU update done in Perth next trip down. Hopefully there will be no more excuses or reasons why it can't be done

If it wasn't so far I would bypass Perth Motorsport and go straight to Foton Bunbury. From what I am told they have great customer service as well.

I'll update as thing progress.

Russ

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 3rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

But it's Good news that you're finally getting somewhere!! And that you can access Ultra Tune Service Centres instead of having to find your nearest Dealer!! Isn't it nice to have a reliable clutch too?!? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » March 25th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Hi all
Well it has been a few weeks since the clutch was fixed.
All good there, no problem at all now - thanks to Ultratune Geraldton.
Only been doing short trips so far though.

One thing I have noticed is that up until the clutch was fixed my fuel consumption varied from about 8.7l per 100km to about 12.1. l per 100km. Short trips were the highest consumption figures.
Last 3 fills fuel has leveled off at low mid 10's. I keep getting accurate figures on fuel and since new I have never seen this before.
Makes me wonder how much clutch slip was happening that I didn't notice.

I am aware of road conditions and how that effects consumption but it shows out very prominent on the fuel plots and graphs.

mack1508
Getting to know the place

Unread post by mack1508 » March 28th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Hi I am new to the Foton gang. I have been having problems with the throttle hesitation since I brought mine 12 months ago.I gave up on the dealer in Geelong Vic. I live in the middle of western Victoria and have found a dealer in Hamilton south western Vic. You mentioned that the dealers have a new ecm update and was wondering if anyone else in Victoria has had this update. There are 2 major things these Fotons need and they actually work, a catch can stops oil and condensation going directly into the air intake system and they also don't not have good enough earth wires on them. With the earths, I ran an extra one from a new earth battery terminal to the left hand side where the original is and one from the engine to the fire wall. The other earth problems are those on both sides coming out of the looms. Make sure to take the paint and undercoats back to metal and install the earths. All these earths have taken out the majority of the throttle problem and it actually runs better. Looking forward to replays. Regards Phil in Dimboola Vic

mack1508

Unread post by mack1508 » March 29th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Hi. Sorry for this but i am not that good with computers and these types of new fangal sites. How to I find the replies to my mesage . Kind Regards Phil in Dimboola

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 29th, 2018, 6:40 pm

They'll show up here Phil - if anyone posts a reply, it'll show up as a post like this one of mine in this thread..... ;)

If they send you a Private Message (PM) instead, you'll notice a number appearing alongside Notifications & another alongside Private Messages up the top right of the screen, & clicking on either of those will take you to the right place to read those responses. However, there aren't too many users here running Foton's, so unless one of the more regular Foton owning posters sees your post & answers in this thread, it might take a couple of weeks or so to get a reply from anyone else.... Sorry. But that is one of the hazards of being brave enough to venture away from running one of 'the usual suspects' ie, a vehicle that's pretty much the same as those driven by all the other sheeple - and not everyone recognises how great the Tunlands can be!! :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mack1508

Unread post by mack1508 » March 29th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Hi Peter. Thank you for the reply and help very much appreciated

Scantek
Been here a while

Unread post by Scantek » March 29th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Hi Phil
Thanks for your input. I'll get on to the earth cables and let you (and every one that reads this) how that plays out on mine.
The ECU update was out around June/July last year and because I am 450km north of Perth it's a bit of a drama getting to the dealer during the week so the update can be done.

How do you find your Tunland?
I have no complaints about the vehicle as a whole. Being a "new model/manufacturer" I was prepared for a few faults and issues but I think a clutch is something that has been found since the invention of the motor car so that was a suprise when it was a fault and they couldn't do anything with it. I mean its like wheels are round, how can you get that wrong?

A quick question Phil.
When you get that lay on take off, do you get a big puff of black smoke?
I do.

Has anyone had the DPF do a re-generation?
In the 36000km I have done mine has never done one that I am aware of.

Russ

Return to “Other makes”