Goodbye Old Mate

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
stockhorse
Need to get out more

Goodbye Old Mate

Unread post by stockhorse » April 12th, 2017, 6:28 pm

My best mate went to the vet today and won't be coming home.
17 and a half years but I can't seem to remember when he wasn't here.
I seem lost at the moment and the other dogs seem lost to. He was a great comfort through tough times and he knew when to climb onto my lap and go to sleep or when to nip my heels to make things better.
You will be missed mate.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Goodbye Old Mate

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 12th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Damn!! That's not a great thing to hear stockhorse - they leave such a hole in your life when they hafta go, & while it might not be exactly the same as if your wife of 40 plus years (or whatever) passes on, it isn't all that much different!! :boggle:

My 'Service Animal' of 13 years is now no longer able to carry out that role, simply because he's old & he's gone mostly blind, is pretty much deaf, & now has a very arthritic back so he can't do some of what he used to do - but (because he's tiny) he's been living in my pocket or at my heel for 13 years, and yet they want me to send him off to a home somewhere else & match me up with a new fella!! And I just can't do that!! How do you explain to a devoted friend of so many years that you are just tossing him on the scrap heap & trading him on a new model?? So I'm technically without a support animal for now, at least until he dies.... and I'm not looking forwards to that!!

So I do have some inkling of what you are going thru, only at this stage I'm still lucky enough to have my old mate still with me, even if he spends more time sleeping or fussing because he can't be with me all the time anymore! My condolences & thoughts are with you! :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 18th, 2017, 6:20 am

One of the saddest days of my life was loosing my two Siberian Huskys 3 months apart from each other. Age took them. Brought them home and put them to rest next to each other in the backyard. When the first one went I downloaded a eulogy to read. I couldn't even get the first line out. Didn't bother with one when the second one went. I won't have pets again, to painful when they go. I get all my pet needs and fixes from other people's now. I actually found the eulogy in the back of a photo album just recently, I got half way through this time. :)

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » April 28th, 2017, 8:10 am

Stockhorse, I feel for you mate, the second hardest thing to lose in your life after a close family relative.
They are just like your kids I suppose, especially after so long.
Every animal we lose gets me, but a couple have been extremely difficult.
All the best mate, your other mates are there to help you though and vice versa.

the-viking, if you can bring yourself to type that eulogy out, I'd like to read it here.
It might be a way for you to finally get it out, share with others, and make half of us tear up a little too !!

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » April 28th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Here it is.....
Even though I'm a non believer this still hit me. I chose this one for my Wife and Daughters sake.
Oh and btw..... I read it and got through it. No tears of course..... ;) Yeah right!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » April 29th, 2017, 1:37 am

Thanks for that, yeah very suitable for any of our old mates.
I try and tell myself every time, they are here for maybe 15 years if lucky, and being in the care of a good owner they have a blessed life.
So we have given them a great gift in that short time, and they have given us their unconditional love in return.
It's just their time . . . it never works, but I try and get through with those thoughts.

AGU
Been here a while

Unread post by AGU » May 31st, 2017, 7:02 pm

I had a cat that followed me around and would never leave my side. If I was doing some thing to my car, she would be there under it with me, or sleeping in the back seat if I left a window down. I even locked her in the shed from time to time, because I didn`t know she had followed me in and when I realised that she wasn`t around, I`d find her sleeping on a big bag of rags waiting for me. She past away back in August 1997 and I`m sure she`s still following me when I think of her on the occasions and wonder where she be if I was doing some thing. When I reflect back on the memories, I think where did the 20 years go.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”