Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

drodda
Getting to know the place

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas

Unread post by drodda » March 12th, 2016, 8:10 am

Cheers Rob.
I tried the adjusting trick dozens of times before replacing the control module. I have had to do it once since getting a new module, which fixed it temporarily but the following day it came back.
I might try to disassemble it again and see what I find inside. I am also considering a replacement shift motor.
I really hate intermittent problems!

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » March 12th, 2016, 9:53 am

G/day all
just reading the last few threads about the battery prob,now thats funny because
last week mine was struggling to start and next thing the 4x4 lights came on after finding out the
battery had dropped a cell and replacing with a new one the lights went straight out the 4x4 lights may also be a
warning for electrical probs as we have spoke about earth probs a few pages back
just a thought
cheers
steve
s elsworth

drodda
Getting to know the place

Unread post by drodda » May 18th, 2016, 9:19 pm

I think a dodgy battery might just highlight the problem, not cause it.
I have had this issue for years - and my battery is still going strong, and starts the car first time every time.
I think I may have finally fixed my problem: I replaced the shift motor. In fact I replaced it twice. The first time was a Dorman 600-800 from the US - do not buy this, it does not suit the Ranger/BT. This physically fits, but the connector is different and position sensor stops the motor at different points - so it will not work on our transfer case. I swapped the old position sensor onto the new motor - but the problem persisted.
I replaced it second time, this time with a second hand motor from a Kia Sorento. This one fit perfectly, same connector, and motor stopped at the same positions. It is made by Borg Warner (same as the Ranger/BT) but has different numbers on it.
With the new KIA motor I have not had an issue in weeks. I'm not 100% sure I have fixed it, because it was always intermittent and I used to go months without a problem, so who knows. But given the computer reported a position sensor error, and I replaced the computer and it still said position sensor error, then hopefully replacing the position sensor (and motor with it) will fix it permanently.

diemonty
Been here a while

Unread post by diemonty » December 2nd, 2016, 5:43 am

Hey Drodda tell me this has solved the issue?
I have followed pretty much the same path as yours and I am at that point of purchasing a replacement motor as a the final straw.
I see Kia Sorento motor fits? did you have a model number?
cheers
Diemonty

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » December 9th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Since starting this thread about 4 years ago I have heard of countless cases of blokes with auto PJ/PK having this problem.. Ford still conveniently say they have never heard of it... GOTTA be absolute crap!.. On the very odd occasion mine still does this I have been getting by with mine by loosening those three screws & manipulating plate a little... Still working for me.... For now I think I'll just stick to my own tried & true method.... All they ever wanted to do with me was sell me thousands of $$$ worth of parts I didn't need! :irked:

Ando23
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ando23 » December 9th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Not a regular poster here but recently been through the flashing lights and unknown 4wd status while over on Fraser a couple of weeks ago. To cut a long story short I relpaced the shift motor an all is good now except for the $1400 hole in my wallet. My ranger only has 40000 ks on it and things like this shouldn't fail so soon and Ford do know about the issue but choose to ignore it.
I decided to dismantle the sensor part to see what could be done to fix it and I will try to upload a couple of photos for comment:
Fraser 2016 104.JPG [attachment=1]Fraser 2016 102.JPG
Fraser 2016 101.JPG

Cheers Richo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » December 9th, 2016, 10:58 pm

Nice one Richo... I can see the tarnished metal in pic 2 that I assume 200KE was referring to... Looks like you had to get fairly rough with that plate to get inside.. Are you going to attempt to clean that metal surface & reassemble to see if it works?

Cheers
Rob

diemonty
Been here a while

Unread post by diemonty » December 10th, 2016, 5:53 am

is there any dielectric grease on the tracks or is it just dry assembled?
looking at the tarnished copper tracks I'm thinking moisture is the culprit, which explains why after a bath from a day at the beach the light comes on more often.

Ando23
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ando23 » December 10th, 2016, 5:43 pm

My Ranger is 11/2010 build and has just clicked over 40000 ks.
It does look like I was heavy handed pulling it apart but I have reassembled it and sure I can reseal it without too much issue. The plate was dry alright and the tracks seem to be made of brass but I haven't tried to clean it yet. It looks to be electrical burn to me rather than corrosion so hoping it will clean up ok.I wonder if gold plating would extend the service life of the sensor ,It seems to be widely used in super reliable contacts.
Cheers , Richo.

arief
Here and there

Unread post by arief » December 13th, 2016, 4:52 am

Hello Guys,

Its been a while since i posted. My 2007 PJ Ford Everest 3.0 TDCi had the same problem a bout a month back. Took it to my mechanic and he disconnected the motor and wired it directly to a car battery to make sure that the motor was turning. after that he reconnected the wire and drove the Everest back and forth several times. everything was back to normal after that.

Now i have another problem, my Everest refuses to engage 4h or 4l. when i turn the knob nothing happens and i dont hear the usual click that comes out from underneath the dash.

What could be the problem?

arief
Here and there

Unread post by arief » December 13th, 2016, 5:05 am

oh an additional information i forgot to mention in my earlier posting, I just had my Everest battery changed about 2 weeks ago and am not sure if that was what caused this cause I seldom used 4H or 4L. Just so happened that we were heading to a construction site over the weekend to see progress on my new house and the road getting there was muddy. Ended up leaving my Everest at the main road and hopping into my brother's T6 Ranger. I hate it when they make fun of my old Everest... but I told my brother real men keep old trucks running... only kids will buy new trucks... (=

Kylie Rhodes
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kylie Rhodes » October 15th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Seems to be a common issue with these..I know the following class action at linked FB page isn't for this model etc...but can we get one started for the ranger issues I wonder?? maybe if enough of us with similar issues made enquiries??? Trying to get this to as many related forums as possible to get numbers up...can't hurt...
https://www.facebook.com/fordclassaction/?ref=br_rs

arief
Here and there

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

Unread post by arief » February 2nd, 2018, 1:39 am

Latest update, after my last posting, I left the truck with only 2H for about 6 months. My mech took a look at it and wired a spare car battery directly to the 4WD motor under the truck to make sure that it was still working (It was) after which he put my truck on a hoist with all 4 wheels off the ground and started putting the truck in Drive and Reverse switching between 2H, 4H, and 4L. Everything seemed fine after that and I drove the truck for about 6 months (second half of 2017) with the 4WD system functioning properly. Towards the end of 2017, the 4WD system packed up. When I turn the rotary knob on the centre console now, nothing happens..... very frustrating.... Has anyone found a long term solution to this? My mech told me over the phone that if it's the 4WD motor, that's damn near impossible to get in Malaysia and several of his customers just resorted to living with their trucks in 2H mode...

Eltucuche
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Eltucuche » May 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm

I have the exact same issue, going thru these threads to see the solutions discussed. Can someone help me find the location of the 4x4 relay switch under the driver's side dash as mentioned. None the pics of the 4x4 relay switch are accessible any more.

Going thru the thread with a fine tooth comb till the end!
Cheers

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » July 1st, 2018, 10:51 pm

Hi Eltucuche...

Don't check in here too often nowdays & just saw this.... If you've read through the whole thread I guess you would have tried everything by now. How'd you go?

On the odd occasion this still occurs I still find that loosening the position sensor plate screws & twisting it back & forth as explained earlier in thread gets me back to normal 4x4 function

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”