Questions that need answers!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: Questions that need answers!

Unread post by V Williamson » October 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Shann Low wrote:I thought you'd never ask! LOL

Rather than cut n paste it all here... you could just read this thread at another forum from start to finish if you like...

http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb ... sions.html
I gave it several tries to find this, but the link demands I sign up. "Search" didn't seem helpful.

I think Shann wins the round anyway. But has this physics made it towards the "mainstream", or is it, so far, relegated to the enthusiasts who can't get a leg in because it may "upset the establishment"?

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 5th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Just register an account, heck you can use a pseudonym if you like and a generic email account at google yahoo gmail etc for the purpose if you like.
Its just a Aussie knife / blades forum - no one there will bite you.
You can even delete your account when your done if you like.
Physics is just a passing hobby of mine - probably too much time on my hands.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » October 7th, 2016, 7:40 am

Shann Low wrote:... knife / blades forum - no one there will bite you.
Physics is just a passing hobby of mine - probably too much time on my hands.
Yeah, but I might get knifed in the back....!! :D Thanks for the invite, but I might not pursue it at this time. But fine on the interest in physics. You could do a lot worse than that!

There is a Dr Hartnett from Adelaide University who is an enthusiast of a theory by Moshe Carmeli that instead of a space - time continuum model of the universe, that it is a space - velocity - time continuum. (I may as well go one extra without any qualification whatsoever and say it is a space - velocity - acceleration - time continuum. I am talking about little I know about though! :whyme: ) I don't know that much headway has been gained. And it is of course a common behaviour that if your thought system does not correspond to the "mainstream" or the "political elite", then you are outcast no matter what case you present.

For me to grapple with your earlier comments demands that I do a lot of background reading as very quickly, it is beyond me. Anyway, all good fun and keep up the good work.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » October 7th, 2016, 7:43 am

Back to questions that need answers... how is it that it seems you are only remembered for what you did wrong?

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » January 19th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Son interrupted me with some profound remarks that lead me to the following:

How come we can all 'drop one', and especially if it is smelly we can sit in our stink cackling and giggling, seemingly immune from gas warfare, thoroughly savouring the moment, whilst watching anyone else in the vicinity nearly die gagging??

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » February 15th, 2017, 11:13 am

I suppose I may as well go for the quadfecta (4 in a row) in posting on this thread, but this time I do have a genuine question which I am sure someone will be able to comment upon.

I was talking to a relative who was a 1960's national serviceman called up on the birthday ballot conscription system. As the 60's wore into the 70's, the "anti-war" movement gained increasing voice and volume. Now I would not be the least surprised that some of those called up for national service already had a negative attitude towards that service for any number of reasons - including "being anti-war".

So what did the army in those days do with those conscripts who were reluctant to be a part of their system?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 15th, 2017, 2:11 pm

There were lotsa spuds to peel, latrines to dig (& empty), floors to polish with your toothbrush, rocks to paint (you just gotta paint them all), and parade grounds to police for litter (for the seventh time this morning!) - and a whole heap of waaaay more inventive ways of keeping people industriously occupied even if they don't want to be there!! :rolleyes:

That said, the Defence Force didn't really want them there just as much as they didn't want to be there, but under the direction of the duly elected Government of the day (ie, those reps voted in by more than 50% of the populace) they had no choice but to take them & find something for them to do - no-one said anything about that something necessarily being useful! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”