Questions that need answers!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Re: Questions that need answers!

Unread post by jfoldbar » May 24th, 2016, 6:43 am

question.

i just read on wikepedia that the horizon we can see is about 5 kilometers. as a kid i was always taught in school its way more than that

in korea, there is an island in the sea more than 40 kilometers away with no mountains on it. it can be seen from the beach. how is that possible when it is way more than 5 ks.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 24th, 2016, 10:05 am

^^ Who said Wikipedia was the be-all & end-all fount of knowledge?? :rolleyes:

You can post up pretty much any crap you like there, & unless someone modifies or updates it, there it stays, for all the 'believers' to spout & refer to as truth, for all time.....!! :irked:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » May 26th, 2016, 10:51 pm

SquareRoot(height above surface / 6.752) = distance to horizon

Where height above surface is in centimetres and distance to horizon is in Kilometres.

So in fact wikipedia is actually right in this case.

Tsushima Island, it actually is 50 Km from both South Korea and Japan ( mid way between), and can seen from Korea, but it is not flat, it has mountains.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » May 27th, 2016, 7:06 pm

tsushima's highest elevation is 650 meters, so of course it can be seen.
one island though, geomundo, can be seen from jeju. which is more than 40 ks away. geomundo (horseshoe shaped ne from jeju) has an elevation of 137 meters at the north, and flat elsewhere, meaning according to the calculations you should only be able to see the very top of the peak at that distance. but i can assure you the whole island can bee see from the beach at jeju. which doesnt add up according to the calculations.

blutoy
Avid Poster

Unread post by blutoy » May 27th, 2016, 7:30 pm

a while ago, we went to Hawaii, done a tour of the USS Missouri, the tour guide told us that the BIG guns back in the day, could be accurate to 23 miles, because that is where you loose track is your vision, because of the curvature of the earth, a bit different now with GPS Guided missiles :D
so 50km sounds about right
cheer's

MudChaser
Avid Poster

Unread post by MudChaser » August 27th, 2016, 6:59 am

Why were pocket watches replaced by wrist watches which were replaced by digital watches which were replaced by phone watches we carry in our pockets which were replaced by phones we wear on our wrist? :lol:
"What we are never changes But WHO WE ARE NEVER STOPS CHANGING!"
Doug Stanton

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 27th, 2016, 7:47 am

Hahahahaa that's hilarious

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » August 27th, 2016, 9:28 am

Pocket watches were the iPod of the day. You were *the* man if you could tell the time without having to run in to town and look at the giant clock in the square. A town clock small enough to have in your *pocket*, how cool would that have been when clocks were the size of a room or large cupboard?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 27th, 2016, 11:00 am

Why were pocket watches replaced.... ???

One word - Convenience!

Having the time (or your phone) where you can see it at a glance most of the time is far more convenient than having to dig it out of a pocket & check it; the same reason that more & more devices are becoming more convenient to use across the board, but especially those things that we used to hafta carry in a pocket & take out to use, then fitted with ear buds & remote mic's before upgrading to Bluetooth so we could use them more conveniently!! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 27th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Who needs a watch to tell the time?
It's either Winter time, Spring time, Summer time, or Autumn time!.
Watches measure gravity, NOT time!
Calendars measure TIME!

Clocks and watches measure the rate of the earths spin about its own axis (sunup to sunup), and THAT my friends is the force we know as GRAVITY!

Calendars measure TIME (Which is the earths 365.25 days annual orbit about the Sun)!

Some people have zero knowledge of Time, Measuring your ETA at a destination in minutes is somewhat akin to measuring your distance to a point in grams! :crazy:

:lol:

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 27th, 2016, 8:00 pm

So, a statement like this; the next train might arrive at 15 minutes past 145 grams, is a little silly....

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » August 27th, 2016, 8:08 pm

^^^ Shann...

"the rate of the earths spin about its own axis (sunup to sunup), and THAT my friends is the force we know as GRAVITY!" ...

ummm... what fizziks text did you get that from??

According to Halliday and Resnick, "Physics", Wiley 1966, p387
"
The force between any two particles having masses m1 and m2 separated by a distance r is an attraction acting along the line joining the particles and has the magnitude

F = G * (m1*m2) / r^^2 ,

where G is a universal constant having the same value for all pairs of particles.
This is Newton's law of universal gravitation. "

The rate of rotation on an axis by one or other or both particles does not enter the equation. Hmmmpphhh.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » August 27th, 2016, 8:10 pm

BigDutchy wrote:So, a statement like this; the next train might arrive at 15 minutes past 145 grams, is a little silly....
wot about "a hair past a freckle" ??

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » August 28th, 2016, 8:36 pm

v williamson, i think shann low just likes to show everyone how smart he isnt.

heres one, why do we clever humans go to greats lengths to water and fertilize grass/lawn, just so we then have to go to great lengths to cut it and get rid of it?

if a pair of jeans is $50, and in the keeping of the trendy fashion,the jeans that already have the knees worn out of them are $80, then how much would a pair of jeans be that has been used as an oil rag for 6 months or been dragged behind a log truck? would they be priceless? i must be sitting on a goldmine then.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » September 1st, 2016, 9:08 am

^^^ mumble, mumble.... that might be a bit harsh about our old mate...

Everyone is entitled to a crash and burn every so often. I think the important thing is that we all learn something, even if by mistakes. And even after learning, I find I am still quite capable of a crash and burn. Like the old story, I often feel that the only time I take my foot out of my mouth is so as to put the other one in.... Ok, maybe not that bad.... I don't want to see the thread turn into a useless grovelling session.

One rather curious feature of the spin of the Earth on its axis is that the rate of spin is slowing down. I refer to Malin and Frew, "Hartung's Astronomical Objects for Southern Telescopes", Melbourne University Press 1995 page 9

"When very accurate quartz crystal clocks were introduced into observatories just before and during World War II, they were able to confirm what had long been suspected: that the Earth's rotation was not constant. By 1973, with the aid of even better atomic clocks, it was found that the rotation was slowing down by about a second a year,...."

Ok, so my question:- How old is the Earth? Because if a year consists of about 365 (days) X 24 (hours per day) X 60 (minutes per hour) X 60 (seconds per minute) = 31 536 000 seconds per year, when do we run out of seconds if we are currently losing 1 second a year as per the reference above? That is, counting backwards in time, wots the go??

Can't help with the fashion trend (and seriously, does a set of jeans torn at the knee look good anyway??).

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”