My 2011 Triton has started blowing Black smoke - ideas?

myold60
Getting to know the place

My 2011 Triton has started blowing Black smoke - ideas?

Unread post by myold60 » January 2nd, 2016, 7:09 am

Hi all I bought a 2011 Mitsubishi triton and I have notice after a cupple weeks of owning it it has started blowing some black smoke on take off any ideas on what it could be please let me know thankyou from Adam

myold60

Re: My 2011 Triton has started blowing Black smoke - ideas?

Unread post by myold60 » January 2nd, 2016, 10:44 pm

I forgot to say I installed a catch can so would that black smoke just be the left over stuff in the exhaust

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 2nd, 2016, 10:54 pm

Black smoke (as opposed to blue/black smoke) is usually associated with overfuelling....

You don't have a blocked air cleaner do you? Or haven't cleaned/changed the air filter for some time? Got any collapsing air intake ducts? Maybe left a rag in the air cleaner box that's been sucked into the inlet manifold? Or got so much blow by that the intake manifold is full of condensed oil??

Or (& I hope it's not this!!) if it's blue/black smoke, you've Not connected that catch can up so that it's pressurised & blowing sump oil straight into the air intake have you??

All that said, if it's just when you put your foot down to start moving & never any other time, it's most likely just a little over-fuelling that shouldn't be an issue (unless mr EPA gets nit-picky! :rolleyes: )
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

myold60

Unread post by myold60 » January 3rd, 2016, 7:32 am

Thanks mate I will check it out

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » January 3rd, 2016, 8:36 am

I had a rental Triton that did that. I'd floor it taking off through an intersection and lay a smoke screen 100m long!

After fitting the catch can, did you clean out the intake manifold? It could be a carbon build up in there that is restricting the air flow.
Scroll down on this link and you will see the crap that has clogged a Pajero. You could have the same thing going on. http://chiptuning.com.au/egr_blanking_info/

myold60

Unread post by myold60 » January 3rd, 2016, 11:41 am

Cheers mate thanks for that would over time if I don't put that plate on will it get rid of the stuff in the manifold

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » January 3rd, 2016, 12:10 pm

With no oil going in there it going to be better, but the gunk is still there. The only place for it to go is through the cylinders though, so if it were me, I'd pull the manifold and scrape it all out.

You can get a spray in cleaner, but again, it doesn't all just magically disappear. It all goes through the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpxoxYmPsc

myold60

Unread post by myold60 » January 3rd, 2016, 12:52 pm

Cheers mate thanks I checked the catch can thismorning and seen that it has cought a bit of oil already mate

Return to “Triton”