Is it really worth this much to change SPARK PLUGS?!

krusty78
Here and there

Is it really worth this much to change SPARK PLUGS?!

Unread post by krusty78 » October 17th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Im due to change the plugs in the big triton...... what a pain in the ass job it looks like. Ive changed plugs in all my other cars in the past. But i dont really want to attempt this one.
Is it really worth between $400-$750 to change them using a mechanic??? can any of you guys offer any help or is it worth taking the ute down and getting it done by a pro?

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Re: Is it really worth this much to change SPARK PLUGS?!

Unread post by Boof mk triton » October 17th, 2012, 11:40 pm

personally mate, i would wait until the timing belt was due and do the belt, tge guides etc for it, the water pump and the plugs. save your coin plugs are about 15-20 bucks each and you want some gaskets ( or be able to save them :lol: ) for the plenum as its gotta come off to get at the plugs. the local mitsi dealer toldme about 700 in labor if i supplied the gear if they did tack another 400 on that. and thhat i stress did not include the water pump. sorry if this isnt really what you wanted to hear...... btw im guessing its a 6g72?
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » October 18th, 2012, 7:45 am

Hi Krusty, If its the 3.0L or 3.5L engine, 3 of the spark plugs are platinum ones and require the inlet manifold to be removed.

If you're handy with the tools i don't think it's an overly technical job. But you'll probably have to replace a few gaskets. From memory there's an upper and lower manifold gasket.
Like Boof said, if you can wait until the timing belt needs doing, that's an ideal time because everything's apart anyways!
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

worthy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by worthy » October 18th, 2012, 11:45 am

if its the same engine family as a magna, the "rear" (or drivers side) plugs are long life (iridium/platnium). they get changed at 90k and the others every 45k.
Not too hard to change, no real special tools required, but as said, if you rip the plenum gasket, it will need renewing. I've never ripped one.
2000 Prado 3.0LTD Lifted and Locked
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87167
Have IFS, Will Impress

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » October 18th, 2012, 11:59 am

Never had a problem getting the plugs out of the VRX, and never had to remove anything other than the sparkplug doing it.

I had the same issue when i got the VRX, Mitz were say that it was a $400 / 6 hr job........... car has never been back to them since.

It was a local mechanic that showed me how it was done. :) try a local mechanic, They are after all only plugs.

Oh and the other thing i did was change them all to Iridium, hasn't missed a beat in 300,000 Km and only had two sets of plugs.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » October 19th, 2012, 11:30 am

Previous post from Worthy relates to the donk in the magna. Its got the Mitz 3.5 ltr V6. thats what I was referring to specifically. Im not sure if its the exact same engine unit in your vehicle but if you can get you your hands in there its fiddly but not a huge problem.

I take it the triton motor is radically different then.

One thing I have learned is what the dealer tells you ain't necessarily so, They insisted that the plugs could only be removed THROUGH the dash and that it was a 6hr / $400 job. It was a load of crap.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

worthy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by worthy » October 19th, 2012, 12:02 pm

chris_stoffa wrote:They insisted that the plugs could only be removed THROUGH the dash and that it was a 6hr / $400 job. It was a load of crap.
No that is a big load.
2000 Prado 3.0LTD Lifted and Locked
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87167
Have IFS, Will Impress

kiter50
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by kiter50 » October 19th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Hi krusty, I've changed mine, it's easy as.
Yes you need to take the plenum chamber/ inlet manifold off, it has a metal shim gasket that can be re used, but I used gasket silicone when putting back together.

I labeled all electrical plugs and hoses with masking tape and numbered everything in order as i took it off and took photos as well.

Good luck

straddietriton
Getting to know the place

Unread post by straddietriton » October 19th, 2012, 4:37 pm

6g72?

10mm,12mm,14mm sockets with an extension. And maybe a 17mm for the side brackets.
Throttle body, plenum (stainless gasket), electrics, coils all off.
Thats a good 40 minutes to an hour.

Need a long extension on the plug socket. They are down deep.
Platinum plugs, good for 100,000 or so. Do the plug leads while you're at it. More money.
Check for oil leaks around the rocker cover caskets and replace if needed. More money.
Might be an idea to take the fuel injectors off and do a clean at the same time. More money.

Then put it all back together.

This is the second motor in my Triton. I have done the timing belt, water pump but that was while it was sitting on the bench before the transplant. A lot easier than trying to fiddle between the engine and the radiator.

My local mechanic mate charged around $1300 for all of the above on the old motor about 4 years ago.

Where are you located?

Rod

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 19th, 2012, 7:36 pm

straddietriton
G'day Rod.
That is good guidance and straight to the point. He can't go wrong with sensibly laid out advice like that and can now make informed decisions.

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » October 20th, 2012, 6:23 pm

here here to that mate.

more money is the the story of a 4 wheelers life :lol: i know all to well :(
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

krusty78
Here and there

Unread post by krusty78 » October 26th, 2012, 8:30 pm

thanks guys what an awsome reply to this post, yes its the 6G72 motor. i managed to get a mechanic to do it for me $300 plus plugs,pretty good deal if you ask me. next is the timing belt and all the other gaskets and seals fluids. was told that it made no difference whether i dont the plugs the same time or seperatly so i thought to save some coin id do it bit by bit. quote for timing belt and seals/gaskets $750 and ill do the rest of the diff/gear oils and fluids myself. it never ends $$$$ should have brought a BMX and stuck some muddies on that.

cheers guys

Tiberius
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Tiberius » December 19th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Hi all
I have the 6G74 SOHC 3.5L and have successfully changed the 3 drivers side spark plugs without taking the inlet manifold off.
Luckily this fixed my problem as the car was driving with no power and missing all the time.
It took just 1 hour and now the car is running really good.
2 of the spark plugs come off easy but to get the middle one you have to take out the throttle body.
I re-used the throttle body gasket but applied a little gasket goo.
The other 3 look like a nightmare to change.

milky4x4
Here and there

Unread post by milky4x4 » November 8th, 2018, 8:48 pm

My spark plugs and leads are way over due and I need to do the rocker cover gaskets as it's been seeping oil for a couple of years! Is it much more to strip down to get to the rocker cover gaskets? Any guides out there? I think I saw a copy of the workshop manual somewhere online, but I can't find it now. I'll also be replacing the alternator. Big week coming up once the weather is good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Triton”