Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Mitsman
Here and there

Re: Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Unread post by Mitsman » February 21st, 2014, 7:40 pm

Well done!!! its all worth it in the end. shame about the extractors we must have different brands

Im thinking about a supercharger setup down the track but i want to get the auto shifting a bit firmer first, looking at fully manualizing the v4a51 auto atm

The 3.5 should still be good till 5200ish, i take the 3.8 to 6k sometimes :lol: but iv done a few mods to get it breathing better, and a tune helps a little too
175kw 6G75 Converted = Fun

Gottavision
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Gottavision » February 21st, 2014, 10:47 pm

Does the 3.8 run tge one multiaccessory belt? Or 3 different belts like the 3.0L?
My 3.5L runs the 3 belts, but the NM and onwards paj run the one belt, anyway! Looks like a much easier way to drive a supercharger.
The 3.8 must be gold, i can feel the extra 50NM of torque, but 100 would be beautiful.
When it comes to charging it though, the 3.8 has a bit higher compression, so hopefully it doesnt bring issues.
I dont know how im going to fit a turbo down the side of the engine... I could be dreaming...
It's all fun and games, until a tractor cant even pull you out!

esky64
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by esky64 » March 16th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Mitsman wrote:had to extend bracket for water pipe and used the plate off the triton 3ltr to block off the hole where the magna distributor was
Can you explane this just a little more
What did you do with distributor

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » June 5th, 2014, 10:02 am

Esky64 - you take the 2 bolt plate/plug off your triton motor that's on the left /drivers side bank rear, has about a 1 1/2 inch plug and O-ring on it that plugs up the dissy drive shaft hole on the motors with cam angle sensors.
So, pull the dizzy out of your Magna motor and replace it with the blanking plate off the triton motor.
It's all fun and games, until a tractor cant even pull you out!

waynebro
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by waynebro » June 8th, 2014, 9:28 pm

hi can you tell what 3.8l motor you started with . the 380 motor or the pejero motor (just about to start myself

James445f
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by James445f » June 10th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Hi
I'm halfway through 07 3.8 into 01 3.0 MK conversion, your info has been very helpful so far.

I have some questions,
is their any reason why you didn't use the 3.8 sump? the 3.0 sump is not much different to the 3.8 sump, the only obvious differences are the trans bolt holes don't line up and the 3.8 sump is 10mm wider to fit the 3.8 wider bottom end..
This is why the 3.0 sump will never fit the 3.8 block no matter how much grinding you do.

Also there was no need to make a bracket for the cam sensor as the 3.8 heads are the same as 3.0,also no need to modify a/c bracket, but I still have to modify both engine mount brackets.

How did you get your fuel rail to fit?
How did you make a spacer for the thermostat housing? it looks like it needs to be raised about 10mm.

Is there any more mods or tips needed to keep it simple? any help would be much appreciated :)
Last edited by James445f on June 10th, 2014, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James445f
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by James445f » June 10th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Mitsman, Hi
I'm halfway through 07 3.8 into 01 3.0 MK conversion, your info has been very helpful so far.

I have some questions,
is their any reason why you didn't use the 3.8 sump? the 3.0 sump is not much different to the 3.8 sump, the only obvious differences are the trans bolt holes don't line up and the 3.8 sump is 10mm wider to fit the 3.8 wider bottom end..
This is why the 3.0 sump will never fit the 3.8 block no matter how much grinding you do.

Also there was no need to make a bracket for the cam sensor as the 3.8 heads are the same as 3.0,also no need to modify a/c bracket, but I still have to modify both engine mount brackets.

How did you get your fuel rail to fit?
How did you make a spacer for the thermostat housing? it looks like it needs to be raised about 10mm.

Is there any more mods or tips needed to keep it simple? any help would be much appreciated :)

RalliartRamo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by RalliartRamo » October 31st, 2014, 2:46 pm

About to do the 380 swap myself. The 3ltr's needs a full overhaul, leaking oil and is using between 25L and 30L per 100. Not going to be much more expensive to swap out.

Considering re wiring the whole ute with a 380 loom and ecu. BUT might get a bit tricky as the 380's are drive-by-wire... So not too sure whether I'm just digging the utes grave by going down that path. Any feedback would be great

Is everyone on here using the 3ltr ecu and intake manifold? Does the manifold just bolt on and if so are you guys boring it out to give the 3.8ltr enough air?

themage2121

Unread post by themage2121 » May 28th, 2015, 11:03 am

Hi There all,

I've got an auto PA Challenger that I'd like to do a 3.8 conversion on. Before you rip me a new one, I know this is the triton tech section of the forum, but it seems to be the most complete with regards to the conversion so please don't hurt me. :-)

From my reading, I've gathered that I'm looking at:
- Custom Engine Mounts
- Exhaust (possible cut and shut with 3.0l until I get a decent one made up)
- Oil pan (Are they all custom or can you mod the 3.8l to fit)

One thing that does concern me is the throttle - what are people using? The 3.0l is a cable and the 3.8l from a 380 is a fly by wire, so there has to be some higgery jokery going on there.

I've heard various reports from the 4wdaction forums and elsewhere that the 3.8 conversion can only be done if you have a body lift, because otherwise the motor doesn't fit under the bonnet - is this true or could it have been because they put the 5sp pajero auto in as well?

Is there anything else I've missed?

Thanks.

sic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sic » May 29th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Hi All,

Im still fighting a battle with my MK trying to get a 6G74 from a magna in there. What did everyone do for their sump?
Mine is resting on the diff even after I replaced the wheel lock sensor with a sump bolt to help with clearance.
I have a ton of pictures which i will upload shortly.

cheers

sic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sic » June 2nd, 2015, 2:46 pm

Water passage needs to be obtained from a 3.5L pajero (not hard to find from wreckers).
DSC_0140.JPG
Crank angle sensor needs a bracket made up to fit as magna doesnt have provisions for it.

Coolant head needs to be obtained from 3.5L pajero to account for height difference of heads. (not hard to find from wreckers)

Engine mounts need grinding and tapping to suit old mounts. (magna is EW)

Small bracket needs to be made to hold up water passage between front and rear.

Sump needs to be either custom made or engine lifted (will require body lift as drivers rocker cover will hit the master cylinder) to fit over the front diff
^THIS IS NOT AN EASY, MINOR CHANGE. I would not have proceeded with this engine swap if I knew how hard this was going to be. For now I have cut and shut the lower pan to fit, however with no engine lifting done yet the SUMP RESTS ON THE DIFF!!
I have also cut out the rubber spacers at the front of the diff supports to help lower the diff to fit. Wheel lock indicator switch has been removed and replaced with a sump bolt to assist clearance.
DSC_0178.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG
DSC_0207.JPG
Exhaust Y pipe doesnt line up without 10mm spacers on each header joiner, and ~30mm of spacing added to the exhaust Y piece. Not a big deal, can take that to an exhaust place.

Other things for me was removing the clutch fan as it was on its way out and replaced with thermo fans. Replaced clutch fork boot. Replaced all cam and main seals. New timing belt. New rad hoses. New rocker cover seals.

More to pics to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sic on June 2nd, 2015, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sic » June 2nd, 2015, 2:50 pm

As I am using the magna sump still the gearbox doesnt line up with the sump mounts. Lucky a mate has access to a laser cutter and a bracket was made to give strength. RTV was used to close up the gaps between the mismatched sump/gearbox.
DSC_0179.JPG
DSC_0205.JPG
DSC_0215.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sic » June 3rd, 2015, 5:50 pm

Maximum allowed images is 5 per post so here is some follow up shots.

Wheel lock indicator vs sump bolt:
download_20150603_170855.jpeg
Pajero coolant head/passage with the extra depth highlighted:
download_20150603_171012.jpeg
Sump and diff clearance issues:
download_20150603_170843.jpeg

jasshrie
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jasshrie » June 9th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Hi sic, My 1998 MK's 3.0L seems to have **** a conrod bearing, still getting me around, but days are really numbered. I have a 3.5L from a 2003 Magna in the workshop with 240k kms on it and am considering the swap. Just wondering if it is worth the hassle, or if i should just source a rebuilt 3.0L to keep it simple and get her going quickly. Would you do it again? BTW, super thanks for the detailed posts to all of you, this is exactly the thread I have been searching for.

sic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sic » June 10th, 2015, 2:03 pm

jasshrie
Depends on what kind of workshop you have access to. My latest plan now is to get a pajero sump, cut it and ally weld a custom bottom end.
If you just want to get up and running again with least amount of hassle i would definately just go an engine rebuild or another 6G72.

Return to “Triton”