Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Gottavision
Getting to know the place

Re: Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Unread post by Gottavision » January 23rd, 2014, 9:00 am

Hey Mitsman,
I've just bought a smashed NL Pajero as a donor car for my '97 MK, I've had my eye out for an engine for awhile, and figured I could use a spare trans and brake upgrade whilst I was at it, so a complete pajero was appealing.
Super keen for some grunt, i've already pulled the 3.5L out, only to find the Sumps are real different. Like you said a couple of pages ago, the sump and pickup are the biggest modifications for the conversion, just wondering what you did to combat the issue?

You said the rear main housing fouled on the 3.0L sump, I wonder if the 3.0L rear main seal housing will fit the 3.5L block, then accept the sump... any clues?
I've only had the botom part of the sump of the 6G74 off to get the pick up location, i might pull the sump off tonight to sus how the pick up is fixed to the block... hopefully it's bolt on and is interchangeable with the 3.0L so i can use my tritons.

Please help! Cheers!
It's all fun and games, until a tractor cant even pull you out!

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » January 30th, 2014, 3:01 am

Hey sorry for the late reply, the 3ltr sump will fit if you grind or machine some material off the rear corner of the main bearing cap. Most of the sump bolts fit but some holes need to be sloted 3-4mm outwards then just use the triton 3ltr pickup. Just make sure your oil filter is on the same side if your using the pajero oil pump. I hear some are on the right side instead of the left so then the engine wont fit with out changing oil pumps too
175kw 6G75 Converted = Fun

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » January 31st, 2014, 1:56 pm

Thanks mate!
Yeah i see what you mean, I'm not too keen on grinding down the main bearing cap, i highly doubt it would be a problem, but i'd just rather not... i'll keep it as a last resort. Is that what you ended up doing when you put the 3.8 in?

Tonight when i get home, i'm cutting my pajero sump and mapping out the triton sump so i can get the Pajero sump modified to a similar shape as the tritons, and i'll use the tritons pickup. Hopefully theres space in the front for a little more capacity. Seems like a lot more effort than grinding down the crank cap/girdle...

I tried mucking around with a magna sump, which meant taking off the pajeros oil filter housing (that has intergrated oil cooler lines), and bolted the tritons one on there, but now that i'm going to run the modified pajero sump i should be ok to swap back, letting me have the oil cooler again.
(engine is still on the engine stand)

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » February 1st, 2014, 2:06 pm

Yeah thats what i ended up doing, wile its probably not the best thing to do i haven't had any problems with it, yet!!

Going the pajero/triton sump mix would be the best way to go, the magna sump was too shallow for my liking....

keep us updated on how it goes, some pics of the finished sump would be awesome too :)

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 2nd, 2014, 10:39 am

I got home and looked at trimming the alloy skit of the triton sump, and whatd need to come out of the crank girdle, and just couldnt see it working, just seemed like alot of cutting and too high a risk of getting material in the crank case (too lazy to take the girdke out to cut it).
So! Put all my effort onto mapping the triton sump, and then making the pajero sump a blank canvas, a few hours in that, but i dropped it off to the welder yesterday... cant wait!
But yeah, ive got some before photos, ill put them up with the 'afters'!

Ive got two turbo oil drain lines being welded in too, just in case :)

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 8th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Sump's ready to go, going to fit it up tonight. Keen!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » February 8th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Nice one mate looks great!!!! how much did they sting you to do that?

When are the turbo's going on?? :twisted:

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 9th, 2014, 9:37 am

My GFs old man owns an engineering workshop, and he hasnt told me how much yet... guess i owe him a favor!
Id probably expect $200 ish as mates rates, maybe double that if it was someone off the street.
But yeah, i dropped it in lastnight and the engine mounts didnt line up, the bastard! It really is just one tjing after another with this donk!
So i guess ill muck around with it in thenext week or so.

Turbos or turbo, not sure yet... space providing... but i wanna drive the 3.5 for awhile before i start with the turbo system (its already been a heap of work and im a bit over riding my motorbike everywhere)

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » February 9th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Too easy then!!

Thats a bit strange that the engine mounts don't fit, what doesn't line up???? i know a few people that have done the conversion now and no one has had trouble with engine mounts, although i think they have been all magna motors not the pajero, so there must be a difference somewhere

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 9th, 2014, 8:43 pm

The holes on the mounts were about 15mm higher than the holes in the chassis mounts.
Took the grinder to the block, because the mounts had to be spaced out with washers to fit flat on the block, so when the mounts wouldnt line up to the chassis it was pretty clear where that extra width came from!

I got a busy week at work so hopefully i can get some stuff dome this week.

And eventually im going to have to cut and shut the 800 stainless steel extractors i bought only 12 months ago for the 3 litre... this was a motivator for considering turbo... might as well make a turbo manifold if i butcher my extractors.

Keen, getting closer!

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » February 10th, 2014, 6:08 am

Before you cut up your extractors try use a spacer on the left side in between the join where they go 3 into 1
I used 2 flange plates welded together, works great

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 10th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Dude, legend... if that works I'm definately a few beers in your debt!
Discustingly busy week this week though, so will see how I go with the rest of the bits that are supposed to 'bolt together' :lol: :crazy:

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 10th, 2014, 8:25 pm

After mucking around pulling the engine off the mounts to adjust one of the heater hoses, then having the pain of refitting the engine mounts and aligning the box, then geting each box bolt started, ive gone to bolt the starter up and the damn oil drain i got welded on is protruding so much theres no way the syarter will fit without removing the port and welding the hole back up and finding a new place for that sides oil drain.
Pretty unhappy with tonights efforts!
Ill update once i get it going! So many negatives up to this point haha

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » February 14th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Bit of bad luck there, you were so close too!!!!

Gottavision

Unread post by Gottavision » February 21st, 2014, 3:05 pm

Had the oil drain on the sump moved forward, refitted the sump and decided to work out the fitment of the extractors before putting the engine back in, putting bare flanges in as spacers didn’t work, the two pipes come in at different angles, so cut and shut them.
My patience was pushed to the absolute limits, but finally I’ve got it to the point of running and driving. Even drove it to work today!
Just need to fix an exhaust leak (one of the Y pipe flex joints now needs replacing, bit annoying!), I’ll weld a new one in eventually, but I should probably just use it as motivation to work on a turbo manifold.

It’s got a heap more bottom end & mid range, but really tapers off and isn’t worth revving – whereas it felt like the 3.0L would make all of its power above 5000 and would enjoy screaming all day. The exhaust leak takes away from it a bit so I might try and mask it up temporarily… this thing could be strong with a handful of PSI from a turbo or supercharger… to be continued I guess!

I’m so glad it’s running now though, really have to say it was a bit of a nightmare!

Return to “Triton”