Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

jasshrie
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Unread post by jasshrie » June 17th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Hi Sic, Thanks for the suggestion. Is the base skirt of the block that much different to the 6g72 that the oil sump can't be fabricated to fit? I've got a decent workshop but using it will put my business on hold until I get the thing out again, so I am reluctant to start a project that could be filled with unknowns. An engine swap is one thing, but messing around fabricating parts to fit is another, although I do have a welding shop next door. I will re-read the thread in the next days and come back with some questions. For now, my triton is still limping around..... fingers crossed....

sic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sic » June 19th, 2015, 11:06 am

Nup definately cant fit the old 3ltr sump on the 3.5ltr -I tried grinding it out but it was a waste of time. Plus the bolt holes on the bottom of the block are different so there is also that.
I have a sump off a 3.5L SOHC 99 pajero in my hands atm, looking at getting that customized now.

bobbrown
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bobbrown » December 13th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Sweet man im about to attempt to put a v6 in the mk 2wd with 4 cyl in it. So i may or may not need a v6 gearbox?

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » January 6th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Bumping this one back to the top of the pile. My fun begins very shortly with an tj magna 6g74 into the old beast.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

jasshrie
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jasshrie » March 5th, 2016, 10:34 am

Just realized that I had not posted about my experience, sorry for the delay.

I ended up finding a TF Magna Wagon with 190k km on it that ran sweet with the 6G72 engine in it.
Took out both engines and swapped everything over from the Triton, including one of the heads (one sensor mount was missing on the Magna Head). Put in the cam from the Magna head though.

Resealed everything and fresh timing belt / tensioners etc, and she is off and running. The cams from the Magna make the Triton MUCH more lively than the detuned Triton cams. It has more power than it ever did. My only big mistake was not replacing all the Tappets/Lifters (whole set around $250 on eBay), so I sometimes have a little rattle coming from them. That will likely be the next project when I have the time...

I replaced the radiator with a new one and would always suggest that on a vehicle of this age.

By doing this 6G72 for 6G72 swap, it was just a straight engine swap, minus the downtime of swapping all the bits from one engine to the other, and it looks dead-stock installed. Magna's are a dime a dozen nowadays, so buying a running vehicle to swap from gives you a good indicator of the status of the engine.

bozzo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bozzo » June 5th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Mitsman wrote:
June 7th, 2011, 12:51 pm
few more pics
Do you still have the pics of your conversion mate. Thinking of doing it since my 3.0 took a dump. Any help or info would be awesome. Cause the pics are no longer on the post

Return to “Triton”