Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Mitsman
Here and there

Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Unread post by Mitsman » June 6th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Just to squash all the rumors, the magna sohc 24v 3.5ltr motor does fit in an mk triton

It was a pretty big job, took me over 3 days to complete but well worth it :)

had to make a new bracket for cam angle censer
used MN triton v6 water passage that bolts to the back of both heads
modified magna sump with pick up and dip stick (will be swapping to a deeper pajero sump)
modified pajero lower intake manifold to suit shorter 3.5ltr injectors
modified 3ltr A/C pump bracket
magna oil pump
some bolt holes for the engine mounts on the 3.5ltr block had to be ground down to the right height and 1 hole didn't line up
everything els was used from the triton 3ltr, upper intake manifold, water pump, rocker covers, hose's, ect
using 3ltr ECU running smooth as silk (obviously will benefit from a tune)
thats about all i can think of atm

overall it was a prick of a job!!! lots of skin off the knuckles!!!

performance is great, loads more bottom end torque and it just cruses up hills now.
so far iv done about 50kms so im not sure how the fuel economy is but it seems good!!

Will try put some pic's up soon

pickle
Admin

Re: Just finished 3.5ltr into mk conversion

Unread post by pickle » June 7th, 2011, 6:06 am

Well done, always interested in how these motor swap goes.
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » June 7th, 2011, 9:58 am

I was either going to do this conversion or the Lexus 4L V8
to mine when I had it.I know there was a place over here in
Perth a few years back that did the 3.5L swap to the MK Triton.

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » June 7th, 2011, 12:40 pm

some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » June 7th, 2011, 12:51 pm

few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T.B.G.
Been here a while

Unread post by T.B.G. » June 7th, 2011, 6:35 pm

nice work man. i think Mitsubishi should have just used this motor in the Tritons, kinda expect them to have more grunt in the 3L but they dont.

mattblizzard
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mattblizzard » June 11th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Nice work mate, now you can try something a bit more vertical up at Watagans. Thanks for recommending the Lokka, put one in my 05 TD MK, unbelievable difference. I put some EFS shocks all round n ground off the upper bump stops to get more downward travel in the front, I reckon off road it'll match a Landie no probs. Good truck the MK, have fun with the new power plant. Post some more vids on you tube of your next trek. Cheers

xagtho
Been here a while

Unread post by xagtho » June 12th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Nice job, well done.
Did the tranny and all matched up ok? is yours the upper manifold with "3000" cast onto the top?
I have heard that the mitsi computers are hard to keep a new tune as they go back to the old on their own, is there any truth in this?

Cheers for the info and the pics

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » June 13th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Have to agree with TBG they should of came with a 3.5 dont know why they didn't!!!!!

Hey matt, hahaha dont think i could get much more vertical than i did on that track the video just doesnt do it any justice, that was my first time up the watagans and just happend to find one of the hardest tracks iv ever done, a 2" body lift and i should do that track pretty easy!!! Glad you put the locker in really transforms the 4by!

Hey xagtho, there is a problem bolting upto the tranny, ill try to explain it as best as i can, the sump also bolts to the bottom half of the tranny, problem is the 3ltr sump wont bolt up to the 3.5 block, the main bearing cap(crown cap i think its called) fowls on the inside of the sump, so i had to use the magna sump and pickup, but the problem with that is none of the holes line up to the bottom half of the tranny, i ended up redrilling the 2 bottom holes in the sump to match the tranny for now, im chasing up a sump from a 3.5ltr pajero which im pretty sure will fit no prob's

Yep i used the upper manifold from the 3ltr on a 3.5 pajero lower manifold

As for the ecu thats the first iv heard of it! i havent touched my ecu its still the stock 3ltr, runs very smooth as it is, im going to use a piggy back ecu when i do get it retuned, im using a 3.5 out of a 04 TL VRX Magna which are 163kw 316nm they got there extra power from a 2.5" exhaust and a retune from factroy so ill wait till i get a new exhaust before i get a tune.

just some more info, the 3.5's have 4 bolt mains, 3ltr only have 2 bolt
the 3ltr throttle body are 60mm, the 3.5 TB are 65mm and are almost a straight swap

And here's my youtube vid up the watagans if anyone wants to look, best watched in HD full screen :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvH8qGQpkf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scaliwag86
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Scaliwag86 » June 13th, 2011, 6:47 pm

nice song choice for your video! APC!

oul053
Been here a while

Unread post by oul053 » July 3rd, 2011, 6:43 am

whats your fuel consumption like so far?? and have u had any problems since?

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » July 10th, 2011, 5:02 pm

No problems so far just came back from victora done over 2500km's in a week, getting 500k from a full tank of 91ron e10 highway driving

unload
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by unload » November 17th, 2011, 8:35 pm

just finished my conversion, easy change over, only had to modify cam angle censer and magna sump. Used magna manifold backwards ,3lt oil pump and ml water passage, magna injectors everything else 3lt, only thing left to do is fix cracked exhust manifolds with extractors and lpg tune

Mitsman
Here and there

Unread post by Mitsman » November 21st, 2011, 6:25 pm

Well done!!!

I should probably update people i had some bad luck with my 3.5 witch i only paid $100 for!!! so i ended up swapping again to the mitsi 3.8 (6G75 from the mitsubishi 380) exact same process as the 3.5 but has 175kw
175kw 6G75 Converted = Fun

Marty86
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Marty86 » January 2nd, 2012, 11:09 pm

Mitsman,

Awesome stuff. I have been looking at doing this conversion to my MK Triton recently. How much did it cost you for the 3.8L? Was the swap relatively easy? Im no mechanic but mechanically minded and i'm thinkin of giving it a shot myself.

Cheers
marty

Return to “Triton”