Got (or want?) bigger tyres? Come in here

triton newbie
I'm new, be nice!

changing tyre sizes.. advice please??

Unread post by triton newbie » December 30th, 2013, 6:52 pm

First things first, I have a 2010 mitsubishi Triton.
My current tyre size is: 245/65/17
Looking upgrade to 265/70/17

I am looking at getting a new set of tyres and am tossing around the idea of getting a larger size but am unsure on what effect that would have on my car. I have been told that if I get a larger diameter tyre that fuel consumption goes up dramatically (I have been told 5L/100) and also lose significant power. I have also been told that with this larger tyre size I would need to get a lift on my car otherwise the tyre could rub up against the wheel arch and cause damage. Also, would the thicker tyre change my turning circle? I would love some opinions on the pros and cons of doing this upgrade. The reason that I want/need to do this upgrade is that the two tyres I am thinking of are not available in my tyre size.

I am looking at the General Grabber AT2 LT265/70/17 or
Micky Thompson Baja ATZ P3 265/70/17
Would Love peoples opinions on these tyres.

Thanks guys

DocML
Getting to know the place

Re: Got bigger tyres? Come in here

Unread post by DocML » January 6th, 2014, 8:25 pm

I have an 07 ML with 285/75/16 on it. It's easily done. 2inch suspension lift and the right offset. I have used between 0 and 25+. Also had to remove front mud flaps. I sit just outside the guards by a few mm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

STH mechanical
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by STH mechanical » February 25th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I have a 13 mn with 285/70r17 which is 33.8 inches at stock height while waiting on sax and took it on its first trip on the weekend and no real issues at the moment except grabs the mudflap on occasion on the front will keep updated as the build progresses.

revnkevn
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by revnkevn » March 3rd, 2014, 2:26 pm

Hi all,

First post and thought I'd add to the discussion.

Recently fitted a set of 265/75R16 Maxxis AT-980's to a set of Speedy 16x8 Yukon rims with 25P offset on to my MY14 GLX Plus.

The 75 wall height comes with a built in 1" lift and they only peep out a few mms. I originally fitted them to the standard 16x7" rims but felt there was too much flex in the walls when cornering.

According to the Maxxis website they have an overall diameter of 823mm or 32.5".

Haven't had any rubbing or fouling at all so far.

luke m gorse
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by luke m gorse » March 3rd, 2014, 9:28 pm

Hey guys,

I have got a stock 2.8 LTR 4 Cyl Mk triton with the torsion bars wound up so the ride height is even,

I was looking at what size tyres and rims I should get, possibly bigger? Do you recommend a body/suspension lift?

The stock tyres I have got on it now are Toyo open country 225/75/15

I am also looking at what else I should get because I want to start preparing it for when I turn 18, I have got driving light on it already

I am also a first year Mechanic apprentice and only 17 so please be easy on me, and maybe put a tad more detail in to describing things.

Thanks Luke

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » May 22nd, 2014, 10:26 pm

I know i know dragging up an old post lol

2004 mk dual cab v6 with 32x11.5 r 15 bighorns on 15x8 neg 25 imfinity sunnies. Took a bit of love with a hammer on the firewall and had to take the corner of the skirt off the alloy bar and wind up the torsion bars but theyre there and they dont grab or rub at full articulation. It turns them fine and stupidly enough i got a increase (thats right you read correctly!) in fuel consumption. Went from 420 to 460 a tank running 98. Unbelieveable tyres too cant rate em high enough. Make sure u get the 762's not the 764's if you do plenty of highway (which i do) as the 764's are quite soft and chip and scallop easy. They pole out a fair way under the front guards if you perform this one you will definetley need rubber flare. I have a tray so no issues down back. Standard height barring the torsion bar wind up and running tough dog foamies all round, adjustable on the rear.

Hope this helps a bit - if your a bit handy can be done in about 2hrs and cost you nothing more than a cutting disc on your grinder and a six pack. Bang for your bucks right there.

Happy fourbying
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 23rd, 2014, 12:46 pm

Boof
Going from 420 to 460 a tank, is actually a decrease in fuel consumption not an increase. But it is an improvement or increase in fuel economy.

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » June 27th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Thanks for clarfying my ordinary english comprehension :) :lol: glad someone still knows the art of our fine language!!
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

_pulitano
Getting to know the place

Best way to get 33" tyres under a mk triton

Unread post by _pulitano » August 1st, 2014, 5:08 pm

Looking at the best way to get 33" tyres under my mk 06 triton, that doesn't leave me open to parts being easily broken!
Please help guys, thanks in advance.

308junkie
I'm new, be nice!

Re: changing tyre sizes.. advice please??

Unread post by 308junkie » August 6th, 2014, 6:28 pm

triton newbie
Hi mate I disagree big time, ive had 4 patrols, 3.0L & 4.2TD & lifted and bigger tyres on all.
on my gu 2003 with mickey mtz's in near 34" tyres I lost NO fuel or power, my gu was auto, with lift & tyres was getting 900km out of tank before fuel light would come on. With bigger tyres it helps once you're at 100-110km on highway cause your revs come down a bit, so the fuel you're using thru the toque conv to turn them you are saving once you're at a cruise speed.

My GQ with 6" lift & 35" Wranglers was same, it was manual and out of 60L was getting near 500km maybe around town stopping and starting, getting in & out, not using highway, out of a full tank, but that's the price you have to pay to look AWESOME hahaha
Bush & Bluewater Hunting
2001 gu patrol 3.0L (ride off dink driver hit me 160km head on)
1989 gq patrol 4.2TD 7" lift 35" tyres (sold)
2003 gu patrol 3.0L 4" lift 33" tyres (sold)
1991 maverick 4.2TD 6" lift 35" tyres (sold)

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 8th, 2014, 10:15 am

I have 265/75r 16 which i think is roughly 32 inch. They are stuck under my mk at stock height plus a little torsion lift. I am getting a bit of rubbing on the mudflaps that need trimming and also a little on the alloy bar at full lock. SO i am going to get at it with the angle grinder tonight when i get home.

big nut
Here and there

Unread post by big nut » September 23rd, 2014, 9:17 pm

i currently have an 02 mk triton dual cab. gls model 3.0v6.
gls model meant it came with 265x70R16 tires. prev owner replaced the oem tires with 265x75R16 bridgestone duelers (not aggressive enough for my country) in the factory gls rims. naturally they have no scrubbing at all.

my winter/play tires are 285x75R16 kumho kl71 M/T's, on GU patrol 16x8 steelies (neg 18). they will just touch the little bulge in the mud flap at 1/3 lock whilst at full articulation, but nowhere else. the kumho's have done over 45k km and the worst two are now down to 50% tread left. they have outlasted 2 previous utes now........

standard steel sunnies wider than neg 18 will scrub with anything larger than 32's.
33's with neg 25 rims cant really be turned without a 2 inch body lift.
with the GU steelies and a 2 inch body lift i could run 315x75r16's without issue. though they are overkill for my needs, and even with the 4.9 diff ratios i think the v6 would struggle too much. extractors or no

cheers

xNaabe-MNTRITON
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by xNaabe-MNTRITON » November 10th, 2014, 9:15 pm

So i've been gandering through posts on different websites.

If i was looking at putting 265/65 x 16 AT's On 0 Offset sunraysias would it Hit Callipers/Body without Lift? And will it be LEGAL For insurance Purposes. (ARB Deluxe Steel Bar - No Winch) :drink:
i don't agree with what you say, but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Tenno
I'm new, be nice!

Mitsubishi triton Sunraysias..

Unread post by Tenno » June 18th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Hey all,
new to the forum and too the 4wd scene, I have just purchased a new mn triton and looking to put some sunnys on it, what size rims are you guys running or do you suggest running, what model of 4wd can run the same stud pattern as tritons, and are all tritons the same size hub studs to suit,
Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Mitsubishi triton Sunraysias..

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 18th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Hey mate, welcome to this forum. I think that most if not all 6 stud rims will kinda fit your car. Kinda because the off set might be the problem. I have no idea what the off set of a Triton, it might be similar to a Patrol, making Patrol wheels suitable for you car. I have a Rodeo with old Land Cruiser Sunraysias.
I think that you can fit 265x75's on your car without much lift on the original rims. With a bit of lift you can fit 285's on a 8" rim.

Cheers

Return to “Triton”