View topic - MK Triton 2.8TD mods

MK Triton 2.8TD mods

Getting to know the place

MK Triton 2.8TD mods

HI All,

seriously considering adding a EGT monitoring system to my Triton s well as boost gauge. Those members that ave allready done it could you post some pics of where you have tapped off in the engine bay and where you have mounted your guages.

Will be adding the extra washes to the wastegate soon.My rig has only done 70000k so still young and do alot of boat towing. Was also looking at fitting a better intercooler setup to lower the intake manifold airtemp down a bit for power as well. I have read that some owners have fitted aftermarket turbos. Any other mods etc that you want to take pics of and post would be awesome.

Cheers

Aaron

Unread postby happy1gilmour » March 20th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Been here a while

Re: MK Triton 2.8TD mods

when i had my boost gauge i had it plumed from the pipe running from the front of the turbo to the injector pump. i got rid of the boost gauge, was pointless, did the same thing every day, have the pyro gauge tho its definatly worth it towing a trailer every day good to keep an eye on things. one thing thats definatly good for a gain, clean your inlet manifold and intercooler out, i used petrol, removed the inlet manifold, blocked egr and cleaned it all, new gaskets, ran like never before, amazing the amount of gunk that gets caught in there, also got a catch can to stop any vapour running through the inlet again.
Cheers
Trent

Unread postby sc00by » March 22nd, 2011, 7:06 pm

Hi Trent,

can ou post up picks of the cach can setup? I will definately do the manifold clean next service. Just picked up a second hand ARB winch bar and getting it ready to paint. Time to sell the standard light steel bar that I currently have.

Also where did you get your Pyro guage and setup.

Cheers

Aaron

Unread postby happy1gilmour » March 26th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Been here a while

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=96805 down the very bottum for catch can.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12v-Digital-Pyro ... 2eafb01178

thats the pyro i got, i went the weld in bung when i got the 3" exhaust,

i upped the boost by putting washers infront of the wastegate attatchmentand seems to work very well with the exhaust, a different car to drive after that, make sure u block the egr, i used a offcut of alloy i had lying around, but have heard of cutting empty drink cans to shape working well also.
Cheers
Trent

Unread postby sc00by » March 27th, 2011, 8:18 am

Hi Trent , thanks for the links.

I am considering the hid headlights and wondering if you got the high/low beam versions or just the standard version. I am going to sell the same bar as what you have fitted to your truck. Are they a factor steel bar or ECB bar?

Your aftremarket cruise control looks good. Didnt know airtek made a snorkle for mk triton. Will compare them to the safari style. It seems to enter the engine bay earlier than the safari that runs right downtowards the front of the quarter panel.

Cheers

Unread postby happy1gilmour » March 27th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Been here a while

the bullbar is just factory rubbish, i was looking into a arb bar but couldnt be bothered while this one isnt damaged. the HID is a hi/low thing, just replaces the one bulb in the headlight, think its a h4 kit.
i bought the airtec snorkle because i personaly thought it looked better than the safari, the safari one when i was looking looked like a rectangle running up the side haha.
Cheers

Unread postby sc00by » March 29th, 2011, 8:08 am

Here and there

Hi Scooby,

Also running the 2.8 TDi.

I used the washer trick but found the relief valve at the back of the intake manifold keeps blowing so removed them, by memory the relief is set at about 14 psi?

Anyhow I will be plugging it soon and replacing the washers. Also have blocked the EGR with a 2mm stainless plate.

Have you done any fueling up to match the boost increase? I have looked at a few articles but am green on fuel pumps as such very cautious. If you have any pointers on turning up the fueling and diaphragm adjusting it would be appreciated.

To keep my EGT's down I have installed a water / meth injection system. Getting the right nozzle size and cut in pressure without gauges is tricky but have it sussed now. Ran an initial mix of 80/20 meth to water with a 3 gph nozzle and around 2000 rpm cut in. WOW, like having powerband, got a bit scared that I would melt the cylinders or blow the head off so detuned it back to a 50/50 mix with a 3gph nozzle and higher rpm cut in. Still gives boost but mostly helps hold rpm's on inclines better.

HappyG,

Boosting the turbo will only cause the EGR and relief valve to bypass. You will need to mod both of these as well.

After boosting with the washers you will also need to up the fuel feed, I'm currently researching this as I'm green on injection pumps and mods. As soon as I'm clear on how to do it I will be repacking with washers.

Side effects of the above mods are more power, with more power comes more energy and that translates to heat. The best way to keep the heat down is to either mod you intercooler to a double stage or larger one or to put in a water / meth injection system. The water / meth injection system should be set to kick in at + 6 to 8 psi, this way you will have a sufficient mass air flow ratio for the volume of fluid being injected, a 3 gph nozzle is ideal. Cut in too low with a big nozzle (5 gph which is supplied by most for our engine size) and you risk hydro locking the engine as there is not enough air flow to carry the atomised water through the intake manifold into the chambers. At low air flows the water becomes droplets against the pipe wall and can pool in a low velocity zone and then be gulped into the engine.

I idea of WM injection is that of chemical cooling, with keeping the engine cooler it allows the energy that would have been lost to heat to be captured mechanically as extra power. At the moment I'm running just water and still get a good result.

Allcare,

TRYITON

Unread postby TRYITON_WA » April 20th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Been here a while

Hey mate, I havnt touched the injector pump, mine used to run rich before I wound the boost up so I gues I compensated it with more air, I wouldn't try winding the fuel up to be honest, if u wreck a pump you won't get much change out of 2g I hear, I didnt have the pressure relief problem? I have a august 2004 engine? Not sure if they changed anything over the years,

Unread postby sc00by » April 22nd, 2011, 8:53 am

I'm new, be nice!

hey i guys i got a 2005 mk Triton just cleaned out my intercooler and and all the intake pipes were full off oil Runs alot better and better fuel economy as well yet to take off the intake manifold as that's full off oil as well anyone else cleaned there's out ? Plus got a Super cheap catch as well doesn't seem to be doing the best job either.

Unread postby ChRiIiS » April 25th, 2011, 11:27 am

Been here a while

mate fill the catch can with those steel mesh wool things you buy from coles it works a treat, pack them in full tho, cleaned the intake on mine a while ago, i bought new gaskets, its a pita to get them back on, i used a smige of gasket goo, very dirty in there especialy if the egr is still operating, the oil film in you found in the cooler would be in the manifold catching all the soot from the egr.
Hope it helps.
Cheers

Unread postby sc00by » April 25th, 2011, 9:06 pm

I'm new, be nice!

yeh filled my catch can up might have to put a extension on the inlet as the intake and outlet are close together and wen i look inside u can see the vapor off the oil done my rocket cover gasket as well wen i cleaned out inter cooler couldn't beleave how much crap was in it.

Unread postby ChRiIiS » April 26th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Here and there

Hi ScOOby,

Read on a UK forum that you wont get much extra power with boost increase unless you fuel up via the fuel pump adjust. Mines running a bit rich anyway so I'll leave her alone and mess with my boost again.

When I fitted the washers I got more power but also lost a lot over 3000rpm as the relief would pop and all my pressure with it, May have to use 2 washers instead of 4 to cutthe boost back a bit. Does anyone know what the standard reliefs are set at? I'm guessing around 14 to 15 psi? Would like to achieve 20 psi as a top end.

I'm thinking I will need to change the exhaust over to get much more from her, still running the stock pipe but with the back muffler dropped off at the connecting flange.

Anyhow the injector pumps giving me grief since I changed the fuel filter, clickity click clickity click. Only been doing it since the change so must be air somewhere, damned if I can find it though, have fitted new fuel lines as well incase of air leaks......... elusive sob.

TRYITON_WA

Unread postby TRYITON_WA » April 28th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Been here a while

when my pump got air in it i left it idle while priming it for about 5 minutes, lol stoped running rough and making rattle noises.

Unread postby sc00by » April 28th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Here and there

Hi Scooby,

Awesome I'll give it a shot with the primer, did you have the bleed nut open or closed?

TRYITON

Unread postby TRYITON_WA » May 2nd, 2011, 6:28 pm

Been here a while

everything was closed, all lines were back on as normal i just sat there priming it for a while after the noise cleared up and it stayed quiet.
Cheers

Unread postby sc00by » May 3rd, 2011, 3:27 pm

Next

Return to Triton