Challenger brake upgrade - has anyone done it??????

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Challenger brake upgrade - has anyone done it??????

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 28th, 2015, 3:34 pm

I may be waaaaayyyy off base here but I was wondering what, if anything, has anyone done apart from slotted rotors, upgraded fluid and braided lines to upgrade the braking system of the Challenger or Triton?

I ask this because after fitting the 32s my brake performance on stock pads and rotors is woeful. Being still under warranty the stealership says they can only fit genuine parts which means I live with not only crappy brakes but squeeely ones as well.

So in my frustration my train of thought has moved from a minor upgrade/change to a major one.

I started to look at what, apart from the aformentioned normal upgrades, you can do to make it stop better. Not really being able to take weight out of my rig the next port of call was the calipers. Looking at Redbook I noticed that the NT and NS Poojeros (maybe others) have 4 pot calipers under a 17 x7.5 rim which is the same dimension as the Challenger rim. I have been unable to ascertain the offset of either rim yet to see if they are the same.

Thinking more about that I went on ebay and found some second hand calipers for sale and the pic from behind the disc to the bracket looks very similar to my Challenger....................I am yet to measure how far the bolt centres are apart though.

In summary I am asking if we assume they bolt straight on (and that I may need custom brake lines done to do that) are there any other changes I will need to make to the system (like booster and so on) to get it to work as intended?

In regard to ABS function I do not think it will be an issue as far as I know the ABS sensors are based on wheel rotation/road speed/revs etc so if I have better callipers that create better stopping vehicle those mystical algorithyms will not be changed, ie if the brake locks the sensor says unlock it. I am happy for someone to enlighten me on this issue.

At this point in time I am only spitballing so there is no need to discuss mod plates, engineering or insurance issues. All I want to know is what I need to do to make it work if that is what I decide to do or even if the new calipers will fit under my rims.

I was hoping that someone on the Northside of Brisbane may have a NS or NT Poojero with 17" rims and 4 spot calipers which I could visit to see if my Challenger rim bolt on over your calipers (I have assumed the Poojero hub is the same as my Challenger hub) and also to measure the bolt centres for where the caliper attaches. PM to discuss if you would like to help. I havent looked into it but if a Poojero with 18s has the same brakes one with 17s then they would also come into consideration - does anyone know if they are the same brake package?

Cheers
Nick
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: Challenger brake upgrade - has anyone done it??????

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 28th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Based on this post on another forum I have found out that it is pretty big job.

My wheels will fit over the calipers. The caliper bolt patterm is different between Poojero and Challenger.

But if the Poojero hub will bolt up to the Challenger hardware then theoretically it will work no issue - but no one can tell me it will. As well as that the CVs between Poojero and Challenger are different splines so that is also an issue.

So in summary it's a no go. I will just have to stick to the normal upgrades of pads, rotors and braided lines.
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

Return to “Challenger”