Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Re: Wheel Sizes???

Unread post by ollieschallenge » March 22nd, 2015, 3:36 pm

Slightly off topic, I was sitting out on the veranda the other day just watching the world go by and it struck me that 7 out of 10 4wheel drives that went past, I swear I could hear them coming from half a mile away.

What is the noise like from within the car, it must be unbearable.

I have standard Nexen A/T's on mine and they seem pretty quite to me
Regards
Rich

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » March 22nd, 2015, 4:29 pm

It's not bad at all. More noticeable outside the car for sure.

You do notice it at first when you get your first set of muddies but you get used to it and it just becomes normal. Some tyres are worse than others too, especially at different stages of wear.
Cheers,

Nathan

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Unread post by Sam Pato » March 25th, 2015, 8:59 am

I once had a test drive in a Pajero that had AT tyres and they were incredibly noisy.

I mentioned this to the mechanic who did the inspection and he had also picked this up. Apparently as tyres start to age the rubber becomes harder and much more noisy. From memory this only becomes a problem after say 4-5 years - but if your 4by is only doing the school run 4-5 years should be no problem I'd think. Might explain some of the noise you're hearing?

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

backintoit
Here and there

2014 Challenger ATs?

Unread post by backintoit » April 13th, 2015, 10:18 am

Hi all,

Some more newbie related questions from me. I originally sought advice on an MUX vs Challenger and choose the Challenger :-) I've also asked some general recovery questions in the general forum.

Fingers crossed I'll be picking up my new Challenger this week. Just waiting on the tow bar, bull bar and snorkel to be fitted.

The stock tyres on the vehicle are highway Duellers 265/70R-16. I'll want to add some ATs sooner rather than later.

Specifically tyre related I wanted to check if fitting tyres with minor changes in width and profile have any detrimental affect on the vehicle. For example Micky Thompson ATZs come in 265/75R-16 while Coopers AT3's come in the stock size their ST-Maxxs come in the same size as the Micky's.

My tyre research has not extended beyond that at this stage. Will be very happy for advice on brands etc.

Most of my driving in the immediate future will be on in Sth NSW/ACT and NSW/VIC high country. Mid to long term road tripping this country of ours towing a camper trailer is on the cards.

Cheers

M

backintoit
Here and there

Re: 2014 Challenger ATs?

Unread post by backintoit » April 18th, 2015, 4:09 pm

I'm looking at fitting Maxxis AT 980's. They come in the stock tyre size of 265/70R16.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Seems to be well reviewed on other forums. Price is certainly a factor.

Cheers

craigus2703
Been here a while

Re: Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by craigus2703 » April 20th, 2015, 11:50 am

I run 285/75/16's on -22mm offset rims. There was scrubbing at the back of the front wheel well but a bit of gentle massaging with a hammer sorted that out.
Had a 60mm bodylift and had a 40mm suspension lift when the 33's were put on. Is a lot higher now but I have no idea what the actual lift increase would be.

It's an auto and 3L really struggled with the 33's. So I put in a 3.8L and it's now spot on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaCreature
I'm new, be nice!

32" muddies under 2003 PA??

Unread post by DaCreature » May 4th, 2015, 6:52 pm

is it possible with only a 2" lift or should I stick with 31"s??

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » May 4th, 2015, 7:12 pm

32's will fit no problem.
Cheers,

Nathan

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » May 12th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I just got given a pair of near new Kumho Venture AT 31x10.5OR15LT 109s tyres.

I currently have Nexen Radial AT 265/70R15 on my 2001 PA Challenger.

Q1/ Will the Kumho's fit without alterations.
if yes
Q2/ Can you run the different sizes at the same time, my fronts are fine but backs getting down a tad.
Regards
Rich

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 12th, 2015, 5:27 pm

You can't run different sized tyres. If used in 4wd the different sizes will destroy the driveline unless you have a centre differential.

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » May 12th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Q1 - Yes, they will fit.

Q2 - No, you can't run different sized tyres. As said above, the moment you engage 4wd with different sized tyres, the driveline will begin to wind up and something will eventually give. In an emergency if you have no other option and you remain in 2wd only then you could do it to get you home. It may also affect your ABS ( if you have it) as the sensors may pick up the wheels rotating at slightly different speeds if there is a big enough difference in rolling diameter.
Cheers,

Nathan

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » May 13th, 2015, 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Will try sell the Kumho's or find some one who wants to do a swap.
Regards
Rich

Grunt1
I'm new, be nice!

Challenger BIG TYRES AND LIFT

Unread post by Grunt1 » June 12th, 2015, 9:45 pm

G'day guys new to the forum and keen on getting a PA challenger.
Just wondering how they would go with a 2" body lift + 2"suspension lift. What else needs to be done other than fitting new shocks, springs, torsion bars and body blocks? Is there a bit of mucking around to to install both. Also how does the PA go with 33's not too worried about fuel however don't want it to be a total slug. Would 33's fit under a 2 inch suspension lift or do I need the body lift aswell? All up I'm looking to do quite a bit of modding if I got one. Final goal is to have a setup which will handle cape trips, beach driving and general 4x4 play. Any recommendations would be awesome.
Cheers guys!
TB45T patrol, 400HP at the wheels
Need a new rig that doesn't drain the wallet...

craigus2703
Been here a while

Re: Challenger BIG TYRES AND LIFT

Unread post by craigus2703 » June 19th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Easiest way is probably to swap your TB45t Patrol with my Challenger and cash :lol: Mine is the green one up a few posts.

mj-tritoneer-94
I'm new, be nice!

RE: 94 MJ Triton Ute Sunraysia Rims

Unread post by mj-tritoneer-94 » November 4th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Needing a bit of technical help here, I have a 94 MJ Triton Dual Cab and im wanting to put sunraysias on it, im thinking 15X7 or 15X8 and im wanting to go a 31" x 10.5 Tyre, just wondering what the best offset of rim is, I wouldn't mind to get the wheel track a bit wider but not ridiculously protruding out of the flares that are on the guards.

Thanks in advance for any help... :)

Return to “Challenger”