Engine is stuttering below 60kph?! Any ideas why/what?

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Re: Engine is stuttering below 60kph?! Any ideas why/what?

Unread post by ollieschallenge » September 5th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Timmo wrote:Well that info can change the ball game dramatically.

Is it actually the engine running rough as implied in the first post or is it just when the vehicle is mobile? If it is the latter then maybe you are chasing a driveline issue. If it is actually the engine running rough then it may be a vacuum issue related to the 4wd activation system.
Hard to gauge mate as it only happened once on the way to work and once on the way home and I was more concerned with getting to/from at the time.

Any way hopefully it was a one off situation,
Regards
Rich

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » December 6th, 2014, 9:48 am

An update on this problem:

What appears to be happening is that when driving in traffic and in top gear at around 60 - 70 kmph the car will start to stutter.

If i drop it down a gear and travel at 60 - 70 all is good, so it seems to me that the auto isn't dropping back from top gear at low speed ( I thought it should drop back at just under 80 kmph.

Thoughts on what causes this.
Regards
Rich

Insanesna1L
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Insanesna1L » December 28th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I am having this exact same problem. I have a 2012 model challenger and it does the same thing. Funny thing is someone mentioned the windscreen leaking and the rubber seal came loose a month or so ago and I didn't know for a few weeks. So not sure if it was leaking but I did not notice anything. The problem with stuttering has been getting worse over the last few weeks so I am taking it in for warranty checks next week.

When going up an incline I have the stuttering worse, and the engine can actually start to slow the car down. It seems to be commonly occurring in 3rd gear but sometimes the stuttering will happen on an incline at 100kmph. I have had a similar issue with a European car years ago and it took the dealer ages to find the issue but I think it was a coolant leak and then it was hardening, but I can't recall exactly.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 28th, 2014, 8:38 pm

If you drp down a gear and it improves, it would seem you have eased the load on the engine and therefore also on the spark voltage demand.
SO, I would be checking for a faulty high tension/ high voltage ignition spark path to earth. Maybe off the coil/s or other high voltage distribution.
Are ALL the spark plug leads correctly placed on their spark plugs, they can be shoved down beside the plug and when the load comes on the spark takes the easiest path to earth, that may not be through the spark plug anymore.

Just a build up of conductive dirt around high voltage parts can cause a tracking to earth. Spark plug leads are very durable and 90% or more of them which get changed NEVER needed changing at all. Don't change them until they are proven to be at fault. I can't remember when I changed a set of leads last.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » December 28th, 2014, 10:15 pm

agree with DMax being the ignition.

Maybe plugs or leads or both. Probably leads or dusty HV connectons if it happens when damp. V6 VP Commodore was very heavy on leads. I reckon I did about 2 sets in about 200,000kms. probably only did plugs 4 times, so some of those HV ignition systems do hammer the leads a bit.
Sure most may be ok, but if one is stuffed, the others are probably not too far away either. You can test the resistnace of them if you know what it should be. About 1 -2 K ohms depending on length of the lead for the Buick V6 in the commodore.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 29th, 2014, 10:47 am

Assuming the plugs are ok/healthy.

I don't believe an ignition system hammers leads at all. Any Camry will do more than 200,000km and not require a new lead.
All the lead is there for is to conduct voltage to the end user, the plug.
The last 6 vehicles (cars I have had all did well over 100,000km and NO leads were ever replaced.
I know of three of those previously owned vehicles and all have over 200,000km on them and still have the original leads.
If they measure consistently for resistance (7000 ohms per 300 mm of length is ok. "from memory." 3000 to 20000 is acceptable.

Unless some turkey pulls on the lead when removing the lead, and damages the internals they just last and last.
Most failure of leads can be traced to the last service where the human/mechanic/monkey damaged them.

However, Holden will be fitted with the cheapest leads available. Then they can keep selling lead sets and make money, more money.

Damages leads, cracked or cut, will allow sparks to run along dirt on the lead and short to negative. Cleaning the leads is always a good idea.

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » October 28th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Well I finally had to bite the bullet and get the plugs changed, as I am too old, cantankerous and impatient to do it my self I had it done at my local garage.

For those of you in the same boat, I thought I would share the cost of this little exercise.

The initial quote of $465 was for:
Platinum Plugs
Manifold Gasket
Basic Oil Change (oil filter & Oil)
Labour

All good till 9.30am when the inevitable phone call came.

Him, he Rich, the Rocker Cover gaskets & grommets are stuffed and I only use genuine ones as the others are unreliable.

Me, terrific how much.

Him: an extra $250 incl labour, so $715 total, mate that's real cheap I usually charge $900 so your getting a really good deal.

Me: seeing as I have no choice now that the motor is half pulled apart, spare me the ******* and go ahead and do it.

So there you have it, now where are those baked beans I will be having for the next six months.

ps: on the plus side he did loan me a car for the day.
Regards
Rich

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » December 14th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Have only done approx 200klm since getting the plugs done and my problem has returned so I now have to assume the plugs are not the problem.

Took it back to the mechanic and was told it was ok when it left here (ie; I have washed my hands of the problem).

When the car gets up to operating temp the car will start to stutter around the 60-80kph mark ie; it sort of jerks a bit then fine jerks again then rinse and repeat, it's as though the engine has the stutters.

1/ Trying to eliminate problems, I am going to clean the MAF Sensor with some CRC MAF sensor cleaner (see att pic).
Question: is that the element I am aiming for (and/or) are there others.
14122015352_1.jpg

2/ I get a strong sweet sickly smell coming from this thingy (see att pic) could it have anything to do with the problem??
14122015364_1.jpg
3/ I remember when I had a Landrover Discovery 1, it was doing the same thing and gradually got to the stage that the car would cut out and then I had to wait till it cooled down before it would restart, then I would get another 5-10klm and it cut out again. (Note: this one has not got to that stage).
It turned out to be the coolant Temp sensor, so I am thinking of changing that as a precaution (see att pic)
Question: are either of these the sensor??
14122015359_1.jpg
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Rich

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 14th, 2015, 5:15 pm

If it's not the plugs or leads....?? Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter & fuel lines?? You don't have a blockage or kink in any of them, or maybe a blocked fuel tank breather do you??

Yeah, I know it's a bit out there, but you mention a sickly sweet smell coming from the charcoal/evap canister.... (& they are actually meant to be a 'service by replacement item' too -ever replaced one?!) My bike has just had a replacement canister fitted under recall because many others (not mine) had (amongst other things) power loss & missing problems similar to those you describe.... The other symptoms reported included (amongst others & in no particular order): flooded/defective & smelly charcoal canisters; deterioration &/or blockages of the fuel filters & hoses; leaking & overflow of fuel thru the canister onto the ground after re-fuelling; & even a few total loss events due to bikes catching on fire & burning completely!! Some of the 'possible contributory factors' blamed for this happening to some & not others included "occasional 'over-filling' of the fuel tank" leading to the charcoal canister being flooded by liquid fuel instead of the expansion vapours it was designed to trap; & fuel filters, hoses etc being at least partially blocked or damaged & deteriorating due to contaminants in the fuel; but almost all who had the base issues reported 'missing or jerking in power delivery & engine running at certain speeds', sorta like what you've reported here... And when you think about it, a partially blocked fuel filter, hoses, or vent/breather system on/in your fuel system is very likely to cause some hesitation/missing, innit!!

Might be worth a bit of effort in checking it all out, replacing filter/s etc, & maybe even getting a different charcoal canister (new if not too expensive, or 2nd hand if it is) to see if it makes a difference. I hadn't ever had any of the issues others complained about on their bikes leading up to the recall, but the new canister & other recall work has improved my fuel economy & possibly also the mid-range power (haven't checked that tho, it's hard to run it on a dyno!!) ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » December 15th, 2015, 11:01 am

Hi Peter,

Priced a new canister $380, got one from the wreckers for $35+ courier it should do to test/eliminate that problem, it should be here tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.
Regards
Rich

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » December 16th, 2015, 10:03 am

Have cleaned the MAF censor - no difference.

Charcoal canister arrived this morning, looks exactly the same but the numbers are different:

Original canister number: FUTABA >PA-66< F5-130-1 1E24

Replacement canister: FUTABA >PA-66< F5-130-1 2K05

The bolded numbers are different, any ideas on why before I install it??

It is supposed to be off a 2001 PA 3.0L V6.
Regards
Rich

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 16th, 2015, 1:41 pm

If the plumbing connections are pretty much the same, it should be OK to use, certainly similar enough to work as a 'test' to see if it makes any difference - altho I don't think it'd be too much of a risk just to use regardless!! The different number sections are probably the batch or build date! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » December 16th, 2015, 3:05 pm

I hooked it up and went for a test drive - problem is still there, but the sickly smell has disappeared.

Called into my local Mitsu dealer and he quoted me $132 to diagnose the problem, then will provide a quote for parts and labour to fix it, so have booked it in for next Tuesday.

Once I get the diagnoses and quote I can then decide the next move.
Regards
Rich

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 16th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Oh well, at least it's a start?!

Did you ever get around to checking/changing fuel filters?

And another thing that's come to mind.... I had one of the Feroza's 'missing' at 3500-3600 rpm and nowhere else, couldn't find what was doing it until one day at the auto elec for something entirely different, one if the fella's noticed a chatter coming from a relay.... the injection pulse relay! Apparently was breaking down under those specific load conditions; swapped in a new relay, no 'missing' anymore (or yet, after another couple of hundred thousand km!!)

It's not something like that breaking down under load is it? I guess you'll find out next week.... :thumb:

Good Luck!

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » December 16th, 2015, 3:42 pm

No, I haven't checked/changed the fuel filter as it's a tank removal job to get at it, and due to high blood pressure, when ever I climb around under a car it's not a good feeling.

ps: The Feroza's are better a Domino's :)
Regards
Rich

Return to “Challenger”