Engine is stuttering below 60kph?! Any ideas why/what?

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Engine is stuttering below 60kph?! Any ideas why/what?

Unread post by ollieschallenge » August 28th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Jumped in the car this morning, and noticed that when going around 60kph or less the car started to give a bit of a stutter (a bit like kangaroo hop) but was ok if I gave it a bit more throttle.

It has been raining for the last week or so and the car has been sitting for the same amount of time.

I,m thinking a bit of water or condensation in the electrics somewhere, any thoughts on where to start with the wd40 or other ideas on what it may be.

PA 2001petrol Auto.
Regards
Rich

Timmo
Need to get out more

Re: Engine is stuttering below 60kph?! Any ideas why/what?

Unread post by Timmo » August 28th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Check for any fault codes first I'd say.

Does it still do it if you manually select a lower gear to keep the revs up?
Cheers,

Nathan

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » August 29th, 2014, 7:22 am

Will try and find a Auto elect that doesn't charge an arm & a leg to do it, cost me $80 last time :irked:

Will try it in a lower gear and report back tonight.

Thanks Nathan
Regards
Rich

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » August 30th, 2014, 8:34 am

Touch wood, the stutter didn't occur yesterday so hopefully it was a one off.
Regards
Rich

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » August 30th, 2014, 1:09 pm

You can check fault codes yourself by grounding no.1 pin on the obd plug under the dash. Then just count the flashes of the check engine light. No need to pay someone mate.
Cheers,

Nathan

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » August 31st, 2014, 9:09 am

I don't suppose there is a thread that has pics of whereabouts the obd plug is located under the dash, and I am not sure what you mean by grounding and is the no.1 pin marked as such.

Don't want to blow the old girl up :)

Thanks Nathan
Regards
Rich

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » August 31st, 2014, 12:29 pm

Before you go checking for fault codes, check the basics.

Vehicle has been sitting in the rain for a while? The ECU is behind the left front kick panel and water could have got in from somwehere? Pull the kick panel out and have a look for signs of moisture around the ECU & the plug.

If that all checks out ok move onto the next possibilties. Leads, plugs or possibly a fuel filter. Vacuum leaks after the air flow meter ie split intake tube, PCV hose or any vacuum hoses off?

More often than not many engine running problems are not circumstantial and are more of a coincidence. Might save you a few dollars checking those few things before you take it to a workshop ;)

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 31st, 2014, 2:34 pm

Try clamping or blocking the vacuum hose to the brake booster to see if it gets better.
Don't drive it though as you won't have pedal assistance.
If it does run better, then you may have a split diaphram in the booster, noticed more at low speed and not at higher revs.

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » September 1st, 2014, 7:46 am

Thanks guys, will check the basics first.
Regards
Rich

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » September 2nd, 2014, 12:18 pm

Neat 60
Checking fault codes is checking the basics. It's free, easy to do yourself and is done in about 5 minutes with no special tools. Plugs and leads on a Challenger, on the other hand, are a major pain involving removal of the top and bottom intake plenum, coilpacks, throttle body, EGR/purge solenoids, associated brackets for thermostat housing, cruise control stuff etc etc all just to gain access to the passenger side bank of cylinders. Checking the codes might point you in the right direction first without doing it blind.

Leaking windscreen on the passenger side could wet the ecu but I reckon you'd notice wet carpet as well depending on how bad a leak might be. Worth checking though as it only takes a couple of minutes to pull out the kick panel.

Check the intake hose at the corrugated section at the throttle body. I've had 2 split but that was due to the extra strain on it from my bodylift. When mine split it didn't make it run rough though.
Cheers,

Nathan

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » September 2nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

OBD plug is under the dash on the drivers side. Pin no. 1 should be top left pin. I'll see if I can find a pic or diagram for you when I get home. Had one on my old laptop somewhere. Grounding means you earth that pin to the vehicle body or battery negative terminal. Once done, turn key to bring on the reds (dash warning lights) and count the flashes of the check engine light. The codes are displayed as a group of long and short flashes (if any are stored in the ecu) . I also had a list of codes somewhere on my old laptop too which I'll have a look for. It's been a loooong time since I needed to check mine so memory is a little hazy.

If there are any fault codes, you can test the relevant component to investigate further and/or do an ecu reset to clear them.
Cheers,

Nathan

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » September 2nd, 2014, 5:55 pm

Thanks Nathan, much appreciated
Regards
Rich

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » September 3rd, 2014, 9:47 pm

Here you go mate, pics outlining how to/where to find the plug and what to do with it aswell as how to interpret the codes. It also states what you need to do to reset the ECU and erase codes.

The pic of the plug location will be reversed as it shows a left hand drive vehicle. The RHD version is a mirror image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Nathan

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » September 4th, 2014, 9:23 am

Many thanks Nathan,

Much appreciated.

I am not sure if this may have been the problem or if I just imagined it, but the last time I drove it when I got home the driveway was wet and muddy so I put it in H4 wheel drive, I then put it back to normal and the 4wd light went out.

The next time I drove it was when I had the problem (the 4wd light was not showing).

The next day after thinking about it, I put it in & out of H4wd a few times and I haven't had the problem since.

Coincidence or over imagination??

Any thoughts on whether this is possible?
Regards
Rich

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » September 4th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Well that info can change the ball game dramatically.

Is it actually the engine running rough as implied in the first post or is it just when the vehicle is mobile? If it is the latter then maybe you are chasing a driveline issue. If it is actually the engine running rough then it may be a vacuum issue related to the 4wd activation system.
Cheers,

Nathan

Return to “Challenger”