PA Challenger spark plug change, hitches to watch out for?

roadcrew
Here and there

PA Challenger spark plug change, hitches to watch out for?

Unread post by roadcrew » November 5th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Hi All,

Its the 2003 PA model and thinking of pulling the top off and having a go at changing the plugs myself, and probably the leads too...after the quotes adding up on top of the timing belt & water pump etc ($$$$'s)...any do's and don'ts to be wary of?,... and any recommendations for plug and lead brands/types?

Thanks in advance if anyone able to comment,
Roadcrew

brettavey
Been here a while

Re: PA Challenger spark plug change, hitches to watc out for

Unread post by brettavey » November 5th, 2013, 8:16 pm

It is a very easy job if you mark every bolt with a number and a number near were you pull it out from. Buy the quality leads and plugs also get some blue sealant for the rocker covers.
Brett

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: PA Challenger spark plug change, hitches to watch out fo

Unread post by mydmax » November 5th, 2013, 9:47 pm

roadcrew
What is wrong with your leads? It is very fashionable to change leads for some reason, but usually they are long lasting and don't fail. Motor parts houses ie Repco, Bursons and especially Super dear, market leads as though they are something you have to change. Many believe this and change them for something which is usually far poorer quality than the originals.

I never change leads unless I test them and find them to be faulty or physically damaged, ie burnt through, cut, squashed etc

Yes change the plugs but you are unlikely to need leads. Don't throw money away if you don't have to. I know this isn't a "popular belief".

revin
Been here a while

Unread post by revin » November 8th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Also ring around your area for a few quotes on parts. I did when working on our Aurion and Commodore and ended up in a convo with 1 place and joking said oh your a bit expencive compared to ???? (was something like $2 but I thought I`d see how I went) ended up reducing those parts by 20% I also ordered a few extra things (sealants,wire cable and fittings etc) got 10% off them with out asking on the day and now get 5-10% off when I go in if this guy serves me :D

Big saving when you look at it saved for memory $200 on parts and over $1000 labour (for 2 cars)

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Unread post by Sam Pato » November 8th, 2013, 3:52 pm

There's a link to a how-to guide posted on here somewhere.

Print that out before you start and you'll be right.

I changed my plug leads because it would be the only time I would be able to get to them - preventative maintenance.

Lots of folks recommended doing the valve cover gaskets and plug seals at the same time - worth thinking about if they're leaking at all.

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » October 30th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Well I finally had to bite the bullet and get the plugs changed, as I am too old, cantankerous and impatient to do it my self I had it done at my local garage.

For those of you in the same boat, I thought I would share the cost of this little exercise.

The initial quote of $465 was for:
Platinum Plugs
Manifold Gasket
Basic Oil Change (oil filter & Oil)
Labour

All good till 9.30am when the inevitable phone call came.

Him, he Rich, the Rocker Cover gaskets & plug seals are stuffed and I only use genuine ones as the others are unreliable.

Me, terrific how much.

Him: an extra $250 incl labour, so $715 total, mate that's real cheap I usually charge $900 so your getting a really good deal.

Me: seeing as I have no choice now that the motor is half pulled apart, spare me the ******* and go ahead and do it.

So there you have it, now where are those baked beans I will be having for the next six months.

ps: on the plus side he did loan me a car for the day.
Regards
Rich
Regards
Rich

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Unread post by Sam Pato » November 2nd, 2015, 12:33 pm

If it makes you feel any better - I had to redo mine with genuine gaskets and plug seals because the Repco pattern ones leaked really badly. I've got to do our Magna again as well - same reason. Plug tubes full of oil - only a matter of time till it starts missing.

It's always painful getting unexpected additional costs from a garage but I reckon he's probably done you a favour.

You probably won't be doing it again but for future reference I got my gaskets and seals from Amayama and my plugs from Rockauto in the states and both were less than half price at MM / local - delivered. Worth keeping in mind for the cost conscious.

Cheers

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

ollieschallenge
Here and there

Unread post by ollieschallenge » November 2nd, 2015, 5:14 pm

I'm sure your right about doing me a favour Sam, this mechanic has a 1999 Challenger and looks after it better than he does his kids.

He was very adamant about genuine gaskets and plug seals v OEM ones and went into great detail (which went over my head) why he only uses genuine ones.

He also told me my radiator is nearly stuffed, it has a hairline crack at the top so that is the next thing when I save some more money.
Photo0006_11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Rich

Return to “Challenger”