What did YOU do to your Challenger today?

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Re: What did YOU do to your Challenger today?

Unread post by Sam Pato » May 1st, 2015, 3:01 pm

Good job. I'd guess that 75% of us who've done the cover gasket have just had the leak come straight back.

I'm just waiting for all the bits to arrive for our Magna to do the same job.

I'm going to replace the rocker cover gaskets and tube seals with genuine ones whilst I'm at it. The aftermarket gaskets I put on a year ago are working fine but the rotten tube seals are leaking already!!

I've got one of those Lisle valve spring compressors coming too - watched the video and it looked pretty straightforward so fingers crossed I've got the skills.

Cheers

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » May 1st, 2015, 4:40 pm

But how many of those 75% used genuine gaskets? I would assume that most would go for a cheaper aftermarket option. Also, how tight have the bolts been done up? The manual specs only 3 or 4ish Newton metres for the factory gaskets which is bugger all. I reckon some may be done up way too tight and maybe deformed the rocker cover flange........could be wrong though.

Which spring tool did you order mate? The big one on its own or the kit with the 2x sizes?

I could have sent you my one mate, it's not one of those things that will see regular use..........
Cheers,

Nathan

hdcoffeeboy
Here and there

Unread post by hdcoffeeboy » May 3rd, 2015, 9:29 am

Yesterday I bought and fitted a roof rack. It's hard to find a decent one with a mesh base that isn't too big. This one's a fraction wider than I'd like, but it fits between the open sunroof and the tailgate, so that's a win. I already had a pair of ProRack low profile bars, so I bought longer bolts that go through the new rack and tighten into the clamping mechanism.

I also washed off all the mud I collected driving to Fry's Hut, Craig's Hut and the Slate Mine last weekend.
Tim

2004 Challenger LS Auto. Build-up photo gallery.

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Unread post by Sam Pato » May 3rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Timmo wrote:
Which spring tool did you order mate? The big one on its own or the kit with the 2x sizes?

I could have sent you my one mate, it's not one of those things that will see regular use..........
I ordered the same one you've got with the two sizes - thanks for the offer of the loan. I'm just made up that I haven't had to pull the heads off and get them reconditioned. Plus I've hopefully saved a few cents by ordering the mitsu parts from Japan.

I'd say you;re right on the gaskets - I went genuine on the second attempt but I'm sure I must have warped the cover ........doh! I'll put a new cover and gaskets on next time I try it......

Cheers

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

jalopy
Been here a while

Unread post by jalopy » May 6th, 2015, 10:11 am

Regards the Lisle valve tool, Kincrome says:

"You can purchase the Lisle 36440 at RRP: $37.95 from any Autobarn store."
You would probably need the metric handle as well.

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » May 6th, 2015, 10:35 am

Yep, that's only half of the tool. You still need the handle to remove the valve collets and spring retainer. The handle has an internal magnet that catches the collets and spring retainer as it is removed. The part you have listed (36440) is only the installer component. The handle part is still used during installation too as it slips over the installer and you hit the handle with a hammer to refit the collets and retainer.

Handle part number is 36740 if bought separately although I don't know why you would bother unless you are replacing a part that is damaged or worn.
Cheers,

Nathan

DaCreature
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DaCreature » May 7th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Got some new shoes on the old girl, and installed reverse/worklight with external battery!

Managed to squeeze 32" maxis bighorns under with tiniest big of scrub on full lock, but little guard play over the weekend and she'll be all sweet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hdcoffeeboy
Here and there

Unread post by hdcoffeeboy » May 31st, 2015, 4:26 pm

Today I got one step closer to finishing my cargo area LED lighting viewtopic.php?f=98&t=156626, and I siliconed a rubber cap on the end of my UHF antenna, and added some heat-shrink over the top for good measure.
Tim

2004 Challenger LS Auto. Build-up photo gallery.

itsamitsi
Here and there

What did you do to your Challenger Today?

Unread post by itsamitsi » July 26th, 2015, 4:26 pm

I finally installed my new suspension, it is a Kings/Ultimate combo that appears nice and tight but not overly stiff as a board unladen. It will settle and soften up a bit i know but very happy with the ride and handling. This is the first of many mods i plan on doing to it so i will post them here as i go. :lolImageImageImage

So to date i have replaced the H/Ts with Bridgy A/Ts and the suspension along with fitting all 4 doors with wind deflectors, next will be the EGR block off and catch can.
Paul W

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 28th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Challenger looks good mate. Where did you take your suspension measurments from and to?
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

itsamitsi
Here and there

Unread post by itsamitsi » July 28th, 2015, 8:01 pm

I measured from the concrete floor to the lip of the flare at the centre of the rim, the whiteboard pic is the before and after measurements. Pretty happy that it measures all square after the lift.
Paul W

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 4th, 2015, 6:34 pm

I guessed as much Paul - thanks for the reply

I took mine to the dealer today to get them to examine the two side airbags for faults - the airbag light is on the dash and they cannot tell me if they will work or not. Apprently there is a possible wiring issue. They are replacing all the side airbag wiring. I found it weird that they were happy to have me drive around in a car that had no side airbags for a few weeks whilst parts arrived..................I told them if I had an off and they (the airbags) didn't go off I would end up owning their dealerhsip and maybe Mitsubushi Motors Australia.

They need two days to this so we are stuck with a crappy Suzuki Sx4 POS.................worst new car I have driven in ages

Random Question - Has anyone who has the 5 spd flappy paddle auto had any issues with is staying stuck in one gear whilst in manual mode?

I was using 2nd and 3rd gear in manual mode going up the Mt Glorius Rd the other week and when I got to the top in 2nd gear it wouldn't come out of it - wouldn't resppond to paddles or gear stick. Popped it back into Auto mode and it would only use second. Pulled over and checked for trans fluid, it was fine. Disconnected the battery and left it for 5 mins and then put it back together and it hasn't mucked up since. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

itsamitsi
Here and there

Unread post by itsamitsi » August 10th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Had a wheel alignment check after installing the suspension, only the toe in was a little out. Rest was good.
Paul W

itsamitsi
Here and there

Unread post by itsamitsi » August 18th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Installed a Provent 200 catch can, was going to fit an EGR blanking plate but can't access nuts properly to get them undone as they are extremely tight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by itsamitsi on August 29th, 2015, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul W

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 20th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Checkout newtriton.net for a resistor mod that from what I understand tricks the EGR into being closed all the time. From what I have read lots of people have them and mitsubishi do not seem to pick the resistor up as an issue when they put the scan tool on your rig.

I am looking at getting one soon

Return to “Challenger”