Permanent Fix For Flashing "4wd Light".

ozstriker
Here and there

Re: Permanent Fix For Flashing "4wd Light".

Unread post by ozstriker » March 21st, 2012, 1:33 am

Has this abs problem been happening with everyone that has converted to free wheeling hubs.

I only recently bought my rig and took it out for a bash the other day and noticed the abs light playing silly buggers, it would randomly come off and on there was no consistency to it

herbi
Been here a while

Unread post by herbi » March 27th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Yeah the ABS problem has remained on mine since changing to free wheeling hubs (my abs has been playing up like this for at least a year even before free wheeling hubs). However as soon as I changed everything and went for a road test I couldnt believe it the flashing 4wd and abs lights were gone, I couldnt believe my luck! Anyway 15 mins later they were both back on like normal!

Im going to have a dig through the workshop manual and see if it can shed some light on what needs to be done.

A couple of ideas for anyone doing this mod, the bracket can be made relatively easily with some sheet metal from bunnings (if you dont have any at home) I found the dimensions provided by wixxer to be spot on however the angle of bend is crtical to get all holes to fit easily. I spent too long swearing under my car as to why it didnt fit when all i needed to do was add another 10 degrees of bend to it. Putting the bolt through the bracket and rod and then tightening them is an incredible PITA, in hindsight it would have been so much easier to spot weld a nut on the bracket or even to just use a split pin this would save a lot of hassles. I strugled with a screwdriver and long nose pliers for much to long, I did eventually get it :rolleyes:

Thanks to Timmo again for sharing his mod and Wixxer for providing the dimensions for the bracket and all the other usefull tips.

wixxxer
Been here a while

Unread post by wixxxer » March 27th, 2012, 6:39 pm

My ABS light is still playing up, I really didn't have time to look at it, and it doesn't look like it's gonna happen any time soon :-(
Glad to hear the dimensions worked alright for you Herbi, and it seems I managed to get that angle right only by chance :-)
Let us know if you find a solution to the ABS light. By the way, it's really not only the light, the whole system doesn't work when the light is on!

Cheers,
Manuel

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Unread post by Sam Pato » March 27th, 2012, 8:58 pm

I was having a think about this and I'm not suggesting that I have a solution just throwing some ideas out.

It appears that the ABS function is uses information relating to the car being in 4wd or not.

You have locked your cars in 4wd on the front diff and hence if the 4wd light is working properly then it should be flashing whilst you are in 2wd as it has conflicting signals from the sensors. (Timmo removed his 4wd light bulb so doesn't have this problem). If the 4wd light isn't flashing all the time when you're in 2wd it suggests that the front diff sensor is not sending the same signal all the time (i.e it might be broken). This is somewhat academic as you've set it in one position so it is effectively redundant and you might as well disconnect it.

The only way that you are going to get the 4wd light to work properly is by replacing the signal from the switch on the front diff with an alternative signal (it's just an open or close circuit so a switch is the same).

My suggestion is that you disconnect this front diff sensor ( you might as well cut the wires off as it doesn't do anything). The connection to the loom is just in the driver side front wheel arch. Then connect a couple of wires to the terminals using the plug you just cut off the sensor. make them long enough so you can put them up through the bonnet and in through your window. I can't remember if open circuit is 2wd or 4wd but I think I posted it somewhere here before. If the rest of your sensors are working correctly - if you engage 2wd and then join (or disconnect as appropriate) the wires then you should have no flashing 4wd light if you then engage 4wd and do the opposite with your wires then you should get a solid 4wd light. Hopefully this will have the added benefit of sorting you abs. The long game is that if the abs needs this signal to function then you'll have to put a switch on your dash to throw when you're in 2wd / 4wd the upside being you'll get the nice green 4wd light too!

Hope that all made sense.

I just check back and found some stuff that was posted on a similar topic - hope it helps - last post was from a guy with the same issues with the abs

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=110237

Cheers

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

Ron04
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ron04 » March 28th, 2012, 7:38 am

As the vacuum solenoids are no longer being used why not hook a relay up to the wiring of the one that used to activate the diff actuator and then wire the diff sensor through its contacts, that way it would automatically do it for you.

A bit of research with a wiring diagram and you could work out whether to use the normally open or normally closed contacts

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » March 28th, 2012, 6:14 pm

I reckon Ron is on the money there. Another alternative may be to splice into one of the switches on the transfer case and use it's signal to do the job also. Or maybe install a micro-switch on the transfer shifter as a last resort?
Cheers,

Nathan

Marto04
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Marto04 » March 29th, 2012, 12:38 am

Hi Guys,

I haven't got a flashimg light problem but had my 4by up on stands the other day and when i spun the front wheel, the cvs front diff and drive shaft were spining as well. Im just wondering if this is normal or whether theres an issue with my hubs not disengaging (vacuum or anything else). It might explain my recent poor fuel economy.

Thanks in advance for your help

Glenn

YBE-10W
Avid Poster

Unread post by YBE-10W » March 29th, 2012, 4:54 am

thats normal mate, thats why we fit free wheeling hubs so that one only the wheel spins and it disconnects the diff etc,

ive got a rodeo so it was a straight forward install that took 20mins but i think some triton owners need a different set of wheels to do it as the centre hub is too small on them

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » March 29th, 2012, 8:19 pm

YBE-10W wrote:thats normal mate, thats why we fit free wheeling hubs so that one only the wheel spins and it disconnects the diff etc,

ive got a rodeo so it was a straight forward install that took 20mins but i think some triton owners need a different set of wheels to do it as the centre hub is too small on them

Not entirely true mate.

The Mitsubishi 4wd system disconnects the drivers side axle to disengage the front diff. The passenger side always remains connected to the diff centre and front shaft.

If your rig is jacked up and you spin the drivers side wheel, the CV's and axle will turn with it but the front driveshaft from the transfer should remain stationary. If you spin the passenger side wheel, the CV's and axle will turn with it. You may or may not see the front driveshaft turn aswell, this all depends on how much resistance there is in the diff centre itself. Theoretically though, the front driveshaft is meant to remain stationary with all rotational movement occurring in the spider gears in the diff centre.

Basically, if you get the front driveshaft moving when you spin the drivers side wheel by hand, the 4wd system hasn't disengaged the front diff.
Cheers,

Nathan

herbi
Been here a while

Unread post by herbi » September 10th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Ok, well I took my time to do this but I've finally sorted out the ABS problems with this mod, it was always on my list of things to do but seemed to always get put off.

The problem part is the sensor on the front diff, this sensor needs the actuator arm to move in and out to signal 4wd engaged or 2wd engaged to enable ABS to operate effectively. By fixing the arm out you permanently set this sensor to 4wd on. The sensor is an open closed circuit, which has a little push button type trigger on the bottom of it. Its open in 2wd and closed in 4wd. You do not need to take this sensor out, it's a pain to get out and put back in.

Good news is that a fix to this is sooooooo easy! Just cut one of the wires, this locks the sensors signal to 2wd, removes the flashing 4wd light (on mine at least) and stops the ABS warning light illuminating. Why didnt I do this months ago :crazy: . Only problem with this fix is that your problem now transfers to when your in 4wd. Your 4wd dash light indicator will now flash and you may find your ABS faults when in 4wd only. Not a huge problem, id rather my ABS to work in 2wd over 4wd and with the flickering light gone in 2wd all seems well!

If you want to go a bit further with this and get it all working perfectly again then you will only need a switch, wire and some elctrical crimping conections. Cut the wires off the diff sensor completely, connect your new cables to this wire and then run these cables into your cab and then connect them up to a switch somewhere in your cab. Now when you shift between 4wd and 2wd just flick the switch and your ABS and flashing 4wd light headache will go away!

I did this to my 02 challenger, with AVM free wheeling hubs and the diff actuator moddified to be permanently engaged as in this thread. I have driven about 100kms so far and no problems all works as expected. This should work for anyone with the ABS problem listed in this thread.

Ron04
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ron04 » September 10th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Thanks Herbi, good addition to the knowledge base on this issue for those of us with ABS. :thumb:

henar
Here and there

Unread post by henar » December 6th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Hi all, at 170000k's My 2002 Challenger has just developed the good old flashing light problem, I was also blessed with the ABS light coming on from time to time so I looked up this thread to find the solution and to see if anyone has solved the problem of the flashing green and ABS lights as well. The car was in 2WD and 4WD when selected by the old light up the wheels on a dirt road test to confirm this and the ABS worked in both modes. The directions given on here are great and thanks to all involved, even though 1 single cut and paste post is needed...It all looks straight forward but I did some under the car tinkering with a mate. He had pulled back the rubber boot on the diff side of the vacuum actuator just to have a look, as it was exposed and looked dry I sprayed a little wd40 in there before putting it back, I checked the lights and it has all gone back to normal and all is working as before. I know this only worked because all other components were in working condition but I was about to go down the path of ripping the whole lot out and doing the conversion.

If you have this problem this may be a quick check or test before you unbolt or remove any parts.

Daren.

MK tourer
Here and there

Unread post by MK tourer » June 3rd, 2013, 11:00 am

Hi All,

I've been coming back to this post for the last six months plus. I Priced a solenoid from Mitsubishi and the sell the solenoid and actuator as a kit at $1100. I did a bit more home work on mine. I fitted a tap in the vacuum line. ( This in theory will fix my problem if it is a solenoid issue ) . Made it worse I think.

So at the end of the day, I'm not paying $1100 to hopefully have front wheel drive.
The only difference I will look into, is I still want the 4wd light to work when I'm in 4wd

Thanks Everyone for your input on this post.

Cheers Ray

Sam Pato
Avid Poster

Unread post by Sam Pato » June 3rd, 2013, 11:48 am

I got my solenoids for about $220- from Mitsubishi. Not in a kit.

But if it's just the solenoids you want I'm pretty sure JonoM (his username) got some pattern ones for a bout $40-. If you look for his posts you should find the details of the supplier.

Cheers

Sam
1999 Challenger, with Dual airbags and LSD
Mods: Does a roof rack count?

jalopy
Been here a while

Unread post by jalopy » June 3rd, 2013, 8:29 pm

Took a bit of effort to track it down, thought it might be handy to know. Came up under "solenoid" only

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=125890&p=1541531&h ... d#p1541531

Return to “Challenger”