Permanent Fix For Flashing "4wd Light".

wixxxer
Been here a while

Re: Permanent Fix For Flashing "4wd Light".

Unread post by wixxxer » November 13th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Hi guys,
no worries for sharing it, I just followed Nathans instructions (partly). ;)
Mooney, I didn't really measure the angle, just eyeballed it, but it's somewhere around 110-115-ish I reckon.

Just a little update: I tried it out, it works just fine. Only back draw - my Anti Lock light keeps playing up when in 2WD. I read somewhere that Anti Lock operation depends on some sensor which tells it if the car is in 2WD or 4WD. Now that the diff is engaged all the time, looks like Anti Lock is not sure what's the go. When driving on Highway (with no stops at all), everything is fine, but as soon as I stop, Anti Lock light goes on. For now, quick shift into 4H and back into 2H swiches it off again, but it lights up again when I stop.
Will have to try some sort of work around that one. Does anyone have an idea? Nathan, do you have Anti Lock on yours? Any dramas with it?

Cheers,
Manuel

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » November 14th, 2011, 4:48 pm

No mate,no ABS on my Challenger.

I'd suggest finding the sensor in question and testing it to see what it actually does. Sounds like it thinks it's in 4wd yet it isn't confirmed by other sensors (sensors on transfer etc). Maybe it disables ABS when in 4wd? First sensor i'd be looking at is the one on the front diff as that is the only one that should see any change after doing your modifications. It is also the sensor that indicates when 4wd is engaged. I'd then be measuring it's resistance in the "normal" state and placing a resistor of the same value in it's place providing that it will have no adverse effects whilst on-road in 2wd. It might also be something as simple as disconnecting the sensor as it could just be an open/closed switch arrangement. Shouldn't be too hard to test if it affects your ABS once done, get it on some loose gravel and give the brakes a hard stab to see if the ABS still kicks in.
Cheers,

Nathan

wixxxer
Been here a while

Unread post by wixxxer » November 14th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Thanks Nathan, you've got some quite good ideas to the topic, I'll have a look at it soon definitely. At the moment I just can't concentrate on doing anything but sitting and scratching my legs and arms. See the "what have you done.. thread ;)

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » November 14th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Yeah I saw the other thread mate.........sucks to be you right now!
Cheers,

Nathan

wixxxer
Been here a while

Unread post by wixxxer » November 14th, 2011, 6:08 pm

It does mate, big times! And all the weird looks one gets :rolleyes:

Ron04
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ron04 » November 15th, 2011, 8:46 am

Manuel

I've found with mine (still running the normal system) that if I shift into 4wd high while on the move at less than 20km/h the ABS is automatically disengaged and the ABS light comes on. If i shift to 4wd while stationary or moving at greater than 20km/h the ABS light does not come on

Might be worth a try

wixxxer
Been here a while

Unread post by wixxxer » November 15th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Hi Ron,
thanks for your response mate :)
I'm thinking from what you said that normally, ABS is always working (or at least it should do so) only it applies different mode for 4wd and 2wd. That's also what I read somewhere, just can't remember where...
My problem is that I'm not good with electric, (especially car electric) so I'm not really sure where shall I start searching for solution. Will have to study the ABS system a bit more, maybe I'll come up with something, and maybe someone else clicks in with more information/ideas. I just can't imagine that I'm the first one to put manual hubs onto a car with ABS. Although, that would be awesome :waycool:

wixxxer
Been here a while

Unread post by wixxxer » November 15th, 2011, 9:25 pm

But that would mean that I have my ABS either running in 2WD, or 4WD or not at all.
The more I think about it the clearer is the solution: I need the signal to come from the 4WD gear stick, right? That way the computer would know if the car is running 2H or 4H (or 4L, if that makes a difference).
Now we only need to make a practical solution!
There's gotta be a simple, yet effective way to take off those wires from the diff and connect them to a switch mounted on the gear stick. Something like reverse light switch on some (older) cars.
Any thoughts?
(Guys, I'm on fire now, both about this idea and also because I'm still suffering from those midge bites...) :gurn:

Daz100
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Daz100 » January 20th, 2012, 2:00 pm

G'day All - ahhh a solution - but i have just one question - the "hubs" mention in teh first post - will they suit MK Triton - or do i need something different

Cheers Daz

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » January 20th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Daz100 wrote:G'day All - ahhh a solution - but i have just one question - the "hubs" mention in teh first post - will they suit MK Triton - or do i need something different

Cheers Daz

They'll fit mate.
Cheers,

Nathan

Daz100
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Daz100 » February 21st, 2012, 1:29 pm

G'day many thanks to all for this solution and especially Nathan who took the time to personally respond to my pm

I fitted the manual hubs the other day - spot on.

In regards to keeping the diff "locked" - i found that default position for the actuator on the diff is in the "out" position - so simply disconnecting the vac lines worked - didn't have to make up a bracket at all (until it decides it doesnt want to stay in that position)

anyway all sorted - just need to dismantle dash to disable 4wd light

many thanks to all

cheers Daz

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » February 21st, 2012, 3:05 pm

The default position is engaged, that is correct (for a working actuator anyway).My actuator was the cause of my issues, sometimes it would lock, sometimes it would unlock all by itself. The internals of it were shot and the diaphragm was torn so it wouldn't hold any vacuum either. It was just easier to remove it and forcibly lock the front diff in the engaged position so I was never going to be second guessing whether it would fail me again or not.

Good to hear it's sorted mate.
Cheers,

Nathan

05 triton
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 05 triton » March 16th, 2012, 8:48 pm

i have the same problem with my 05 triton, just wondering does this method work on my 4x4 aswell?

Cheers.

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » March 16th, 2012, 9:38 pm

The vacuum operated 4wd system on the Triton is identical mate so yes, it will work.
Cheers,

Nathan

05 triton
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 05 triton » March 17th, 2012, 9:11 am

cheers mate, off to arb to acquire a set of free wheeling hubs.

Return to “Challenger”