3" exhaust on NJ turbo diesel

PaulD
Getting to know the place

3" exhaust on NJ turbo diesel

Unread post by PaulD » November 18th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Hi all, I am new to these forums so i apologize if this has been asked before.

1. I am looking at fitting a 3" exhaust from the turbo back on the NJ... I went to see the local exhaust guys and they didnt really want to know about it unless they could do it from the flexible joint back.. My question here is are there any pre fab'd exhausts in 3" or can i get a pre made piece to go from the turbo back to a flexible joint???

2. I need to get a hold of a snorkel for the old girl. I have contemplated making one from 3" SS tube but if I can buy a plastic one cheap enough I might just get that. Can anyone tell me a good place to buy one and a rough cost?

3. I recently fitted my mates 16" wheels off his NL and they looked awesome on the NJ. Do the 16" rims come up for sale often and what offset rims are suitable if I cant get Paj rims?

Sorry for all the newby questions but I want to try get my rig sorted out before we do cape york next sept.

Thanks
Paul

Wild Dog
Here and there

Unread post by Wild Dog » November 19th, 2009, 7:19 pm

G'day PaulD
I also have an NJ 2.8. What are the benefits of the 3" exhaust ???
Do you think there is a restriction with the standard exhaust ???
There shouln't be a problem getting the required bits and pieces provided expense is no problem.
I can't imagine this being a cheap exercise and would be interested to see if it was all worth while.

PaulD

Unread post by PaulD » November 21st, 2009, 5:53 am

I have just heard from some people that putting on the 3" exhaust helps with a little more power. But just theother day someone else said that it was actually the dump pipe of the turbo that was the restriction... So im not sure now, I would still like to do it but I would be interested to know if anyone else has done it and if it has actually given them any benefits?

tismemat
Been here a while

Unread post by tismemat » November 29th, 2009, 8:16 pm

well i have a 3inch exaust on my 2.5td bravo and it made quite a difference. more midrange and the turbo comes in earlier. My mates dad has a triton and he has a 3in as well with the same sort of increases. Both cars benefit with better fuel economy too.

PaulD

Unread post by PaulD » December 1st, 2009, 5:39 am

I have heard a few people say that they gained performance and power by changing the exhaust. I am thinking of removing the turbo and seeing if i can enlarge the dump pipe of the turbo to flow more gas when the new exhaust is fitted.

tismemat
Been here a while

Unread post by tismemat » December 1st, 2009, 9:52 pm

the dump pipe will be done if they do a full 3in exaust. the dump pipe is what is bolted to the back of the turbo.

PaulD

Unread post by PaulD » December 2nd, 2009, 5:28 am

I should have been more accurate in my description... Its not the dump pipe that I want to enlarge myself but the actual outlet from the turbo to the dump pipe. It looks very restrictive and is at most 2.5" which seems like a large restriction if I go to the effort of a full 3" system.. But it may not make much of a difference.

'98Pudge
Been here a while

Unread post by '98Pudge » December 2nd, 2009, 6:59 pm

I've got a NL 2.8, recently did the 2.5" exhaust from the middle back on the advise from a local and reputable exhaust shop. According to them the replacement of the restrictive stock pipe from the turbo back is benificial, but cost that much more that, for the moment, I should try the middle-back for starts. Which is what I got and it cost me $350, a turbo back would be closer to $1000. Have to say, certainly did free it up, and now sports a subtle low note! Not to rain on your parade but 3" pipe maybe too much?! Just a word to the wise....
These NL mags, like mine, are rare too find as most early Pajero and most Triton owners are on the prowl for them, so if you manage to find any they'll be either an incomplete set, or scratchy, and/or expensive.
As for the SS snorkle, that's MY idea; just finalising measurements for a quote...hehe!
-Cheers, GR. [url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=3303&im=1]PUDGE![/url] [align=left][b][url=http://www.4rocs.forumotion.com/][size=134][font=Arial][color=green]4ROCs Offroad & Adventure[/color][/font][/size][/url][/b][/align]
[align=left][b][font=Arial]The Friendly 4x4 Forum[/font][/b][/align]

tismemat
Been here a while

Unread post by tismemat » December 2nd, 2009, 7:17 pm

DONT GO MESSING WITH THAT PART OF THE TURBO, IF YOU MAKE IT LARGER, YOU WILL AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE TURBO. it needs to be that size for optimum gas velocity to spin the turbine. Its always best to put the biggest exaust possible behind a turbo engine. If its done properly, it will be quiet and you WILL gain good benefits. The more turbulence you can get away from the back of the turbine, the better it will spool up and every pulse that goes down the pipe will help scavenge the next one, and so on. Your EGT will go down with a good flowing exaust and you can get even MORE improvements by getting the vehicle tuned to the exaust.

'98Pudge
Been here a while

Unread post by '98Pudge » December 2nd, 2009, 7:23 pm

tismemat wrote: .... and you can get even MORE improvements by getting the vehicle tuned to the exaust.
tismemat, they're wise words. That's my next stop, but is an expensive dyno tune worth it?!
-Cheers, GR. [url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=3303&im=1]PUDGE![/url] [align=left][b][url=http://www.4rocs.forumotion.com/][size=134][font=Arial][color=green]4ROCs Offroad & Adventure[/color][/font][/size][/url][/b][/align]
[align=left][b][font=Arial]The Friendly 4x4 Forum[/font][/b][/align]

Dawoode

Unread post by Dawoode » December 2nd, 2009, 9:11 pm

Hi,

For your snorkel check out ebay. I think NH & NJ are similar in fitting. There are these snorkels on there at the moment for the years 1990-1997. Only
$295+$35delivery....
Razorback 4X4 4wd Snorkel Mitsubishi NH Pajero 90 to 97
That's the title they are under..

Heaps cheaper than the $400-$600 they normally want for them!!

PaulD

Unread post by PaulD » December 3rd, 2009, 5:27 am

Well I have already made my snorkel out of mild steel.. I had a mate wanted one so we just decided to do mild steel cause it was quick and easy. I will post up some pics soon to show it off. I just have to make it fit the stupid airbox which has a square connection

michaelanning_1
I'm new, be nice!

2.5'' for the 2.5l is worth dyno tune

Unread post by michaelanning_1 » December 4th, 2009, 10:29 am

hey guys

i have a nf 89 2.5td pajero, i recently got the new exhaust on it 2.5'' single muffler, dropped out the side before the back wheel (drivers side), sounds great like a truck ;), it still didn't go that well, snorkel went on then, it still lagged up hill, one of my mates told me to get it dyno tuned, the next week it was booked in, they bugged around with the pump a bit and the psi for the turbo (11.5psi) the thing hammers now im very impressed, they also said a inter cooler would help.

yozrock1
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 3" exhaust on NJ turbo diesel

Unread post by yozrock1 » December 10th, 2015, 10:45 am

Hi,

The DPF delete pipe on my NS Pajero has been fitted too short(previous owner) and has pulled the rear exhaust forward causing it to move closer on one of the bends to the chassis which it hits.

The local exhaust shop has a cheap fix or spend $380 for a 3 inch system from the dpf delete pipe to the back, It would be a straight through pipe with only 1 straight through muffler.

Has anyone had any experiences/issues or recommendations on this?

I was looking to improve the exhaust but can not afford a full system. I am worried about extra noise or drone it could make? I have also heard that a turbo may suffer if there is less back pressure in the exhaust?

TIA

Return to “Pajero”