Is a Diesel Pajero OK for Short Commutes - any DPF issues?

don logan
Getting to know the place

Is a Diesel Pajero OK for Short Commutes - any DPF issues?

Unread post by don logan » February 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Hi,

I want a 4wd but can't justify having one purely for weekend camping trips and occasional touring, beach, 4wd tracks, etc. This means that it will be my wife's car for commuting to work as well. I have a company car so won't use it for commuting.

She only has a 7km trip to work, and it's urban driving too. I'm aware that diesels don't like short, stop start journeys continuously, but am wondering if using it each weekend and the occasional evening for longer drives (30 mins and upwards) will keep it working properly. Is it just the DPF needing to heat up in order to burn off diesel particulate that is the reason for them not liking short trips, or are there other reasons too such as clogging parts with soot or similar?

I'm aware that a petrol 4x4 is the sensible choice but have limited my choice to a Prado or a Pajero as we want something capable off road, with 7 seats, that will also tow a camper trailer from time to time.

I'm told that the NT Pajeros onwards don't have DPF's. Is that still the case and if so, then would one handle being used as a daily for short commutes with longer weekend drives?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Is a Diesel Pajero OK for Short Commutes - any DPF issue

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 15th, 2017, 11:11 am

I think it's only Pajeros from MY10 onwards that don't have DPF's - so anything made in 09 or earlier did, & there are 09 NT's, aren't there?! (Altho I freely admit I may be wrong on any/all of this & will stand corrected by any of the Mitsubishi mob here who likely know the details with more surety than my vague 'I think'!! ;) )

As for the why - DPF's were introduced as a 'quick & dirty' stop gap method to bring the particulate emission levels down below the Euro5 mandated levels (I think it was E5?) & as engineering progressed & the leading edge engineers & designers spent a little more time looking at things, they worked out better & more 'elegant' ways of doing the same job - so DPF's are very likely to become a thing of the past as/when (or maybe if??) more of that 'latest technology' makes its way down into the mass production models of more vehicles. But in the meantime, their are some fuel additives that help minimise the need for longer runs & higher temps to burn the unwanted particles & soot etc. Sorry, but you'll hafta search for them.

However, moving to the rest of your question, diesel engines have & will ALWAYS prefer running at their optimum operation temperature, a temp which is somewhat higher than that of petrol engines!! So letting your diesel run for long enough to reach its proper temps has always been good for it & will continue to remain good for it - the engine needs a reasonable operating temperature in the head/block to allow the fuel/air mix to ignite correctly thru compression & heat only - if it doesn't get that thru operational temps then it either burns the fuel mix poorly & inefficiently or it needs assistance from the Glow system to trigger the 'power' stroke of each 'fuel burning' stroke in the engine's 4 stroke cycle!! So strictly speaking, NO, the DPF is not really the only reason diesels don't exactly like short, stop/start running! But modern Common Rail Diesels with all their computer control & sensors built in handle the sort of driving you described waaaay better than my 'old school' VE pump driven TD42 diesel!

Sooo, I don't think you would have too much problem using one as you have described, just make sure that you give it a regular higher speed/higher temp/harder working run & workout or expect to pay the penalty, first in dropping fuel economy & then in maintenance costs! Many people suggest that ALL city drivers should use the more stringent 'Adverse Use' service schedule on any vehicle regularly driven in city traffic - after all, there's less 'clean air' going in, more pollutants to contaminate air & oil filters, & the engines operational parameters certainly fall into the 'less than ideal' category!! But still, a modern Pajero Diesel shouldn't have too much trouble doung what you will be asking of it!! G'waaan, you know you wanna! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Pajero”