How many km can I expect from our Pajero?

Duke1340
Been here a while

How many km can I expect from our Pajero?

Unread post by Duke1340 » May 14th, 2015, 4:59 pm

A quick question for all the Pajero owners out there.

My wife has had a 2004 Pajero 3.2L diesel from new, it has been religiously serviced and maintained and has 365.000 kilometres on the clock.

What is your opinion on how many kilometres she might realistically expect to get out of the Paj.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
"Adventure Before Dementia"

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: How many km can I expect from our Pajero?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 18th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Not a Pajero owner atm, but I've run a fleet that had more than just a couple, and I've had quite a few follow me on various tag-alongs over the years. ;) Well maintained Pajero's tend to last pretty well engine wise, unless you've neglected to follow the service schedule, especially on something a tad critical like timing or valve clearances etc, you shouldn't be too optimistic to expect at least another couple of hundred thousand km.... but then asking how long an engine will last is a bit like asking what's the standard length for 'a bit of string'!! :sillywink:

If your engine isn't using more than a litre or so of oil between scheduled changes, and it starts first time every time, doesn't blow smoke under load or at higher revs, then you probably don't have a heap to worry about. One way of checking for likely imminent failures on a diesel is to do compression & leak down testing - good results on those tends to suggest that the cylinders, rings, & head, valves etc are still doing their thing OK, and apart from keeping the Injector pump & injectors themselves in good nick & tune, good compression is probably the most critical thing for a diesel.

Hopefully some current owners will chip in their 2 bob, but if you've known this one since new, maintained it well, and it fits the criteria above, plus it's still doing what you need it to, then it's probably going to keep doing that for a bunch of km/years yet. I've seen a few pushing 600,000 km, and a couple that've been run pretty continuously since new that are now getting close to the 1 million mark - and to my knowledge none of those have had much more than scheduled servicing and maintenance, certainly no major rebuilds! Look after it well & I'd guess you'll wear the running gear out before you kill the engine. :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Duke1340
Been here a while

Re: How many km can I expect from our Pajero?

Unread post by Duke1340 » May 19th, 2015, 6:40 am

Thanks for the reply Peter,

The Paj has been serviced as per or better than recommended, and it uses no oil between oil changes and doesn't blow any smoke, so I guess we have a good few kilometres left in the old girl yet.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
"Adventure Before Dementia"

Return to “Pajero”